Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Sorry but today was awful. We don't have anyone in midfield to hold on to the ball ( Jody Morris or Chris Miller ) type and see a pass. Did the Aberdeen keeper actually have a save to make? Nicky Clark? should have scored and that was it.

Surely a change is needed in manager?

49 minutes ago, Willie Renton said:

As supporters you are part of the business , it’s very easy to demand the manager be sacked but the experience of Motherwell, both Dundee teams Hibs and Kilmarnock would suggest that change of manager doesn’t, automatically bring success is expensive and those of you who are suggesting it is the responsibility of the board need to remember that from May that will consist of a very old man and Roddy.

I am not against Davidson being sacked ,just trying to open a genuine debate about what we should do at a time when the long term future of the club is suddenly open to doubt after nearly forty years of stability This is not a pushback against any of you just the genuine concerns of a supporter old enough to be present at the nightmare of being relegated by the champions Dundee

There are reasons for the lack of Board members, ask bulletproof why that is. 

There are also reasons why there will only be Geoff and an illiterate sidekick left on the board, ask bulletproof. 

You are right that changing manager doesn't guarantee success so let's just plod along playing shite, losing fans and eventually getting relegated. 

You talk about long term future, sure we can't do much about the owners right now, but what we can do is build a decent side with assets in the playing staff. 35 year old players on 2 year deals isn't that, there looks to be next to no forward planning. It seems the whole club are just plodding along hoping someone with a plan buys the place. It's a shite state of affairs. 

17 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Surely a change is needed in manager?

Yes.

He was backed heavily again the summer, allowed to try and rectify a mess of his own making. It was therefore imperative that, to continue in his role, he demonstrated that we wouldn't return to the sort of situation we found ourselves in last season.

Yet here we are...

Of the 10 outfield players on the pitch today, how many were being played in a position/role that will bring out the best in them?

Sometimes that has to be the case with teams but Davidson has a squad of over 30 players and he's still fielding a team filled with square pegs.

And it's the speed at which we've regressed from what looked like a fairly stable position 3 weeks ago that is most alarming. He's managed to destroy it all so quickly.

Squad of 30 odd players yet most weeks when you look at the bench you despair at the lack of options. The amount of money we’ve wasted on this manager’s signing is depressing and we have to waste more on emptying him now. He’s basically a massive walking red flag. 

22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Squad of 30 odd players yet most weeks when you look at the bench you despair at the lack of options. The amount of money we’ve wasted on this manager’s signing is depressing and we have to waste more on emptying him now. He’s basically a massive walking red flag. 

Then having someone else fix the squad. 

Basically years of financial security could be ruined by one moron.

Last 3 games: -

Possession: 44%, 44%, 37% 

Opponents: 56%, 56%, 67%

Shots on target: 1, 2, 3

Opponents: 7, 3, 4

Passes completed: 359, 350, 269

Opponents: 446, 443, 469

Pass accuracy: 67%, 65%, 71%

Opponents: 75%, 72%, 79%

What exactly is the plan with the formation. Its offering nothing both in attack or defence and we are consistently out passed 

Davidson is a philosophy manager, he said in his first interview as manager on sportsound his preferred shape is 5-2-3 and we’ve only had bursts of success when he’s forced to move away from it, usually because of injuries or because he stumbles across something that works.  Initially the shape looked ok but we couldn’t score, now it just looks terrible in all circumstances. 

Like clockwork, he’ll always go back to it. We were on a 6 game unbeaten run using a different shape, then he inexplicably changed it to accommodate Murphy and it’s all gone to shit since. 

continuing to play Gordon when we’ve seen how well McGowan, Mitchell and Considine played as a three together, and moving Mitchell out of his best position to accomodate Gordon another example of how moronic he is. 

As already mentioned, he’s got a blind spot for Carey too. He’s not even a particularly good player. 

41 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The bench continues to piss me off. You know exactly what he’s going to do every week. New contract for Max last week was much welcomed - but is he ever going to get minutes? If not he needs to go on loan right now, but surely he’s a better option than Crawford ffs? At least for a look?

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Never forget that this useless fud said that Cammy MacPherson is a better footballer than Ali McCann.

Winning the play offs a greater achievement than winning the cup double.

Fair to say I’ve never particularly warmed to Davidson as manager but he comes across as a bumbling moron in his interviews.   

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Winning the play offs a greater achievement than winning the cup double.

Fair to say I’ve never particularly warmed to Davidson as manager but he comes across as a bumbling moron in his interviews.   

The way I remember it in his first season we were really poor up until the Killie game when we were 2-0 at half time then it all seemed to click and we won 2-3 and the rest is history. 

Basically a very good 3-4 months that resulted in two cups 😂 

But other than that it's been very mediocre.

My gripe with Davidson (and his coaching team) is that everything is always very predictable. Teams found out the tactics soon after the double season and he was unable to adapt quickly enough. This season starts well, but teams figured us out and again, he either cannot change it or has reverted to what he sees as a 'safe' formation.

Likewise with the substitutions. If McLennan was available, he'd have been on after their 2nd and Theo with 5 to go. Other managers do their homework and see what we all can see.

What will be interesting is the signings and clearing out this month. Needs to be done early and not last minute.

With the players we do have, it has been clear for a while that Gordon and Carey have gone completely off the boil. Clark too to a certain extent. Murphy does 'stuff' but actually not a lot of it is creating chances.

Given the potential of new owners, there is little to no chance of either the club spending material cash or changing the manager, so another muddle through to the end of the season coming up. Maybe a slimmer squad even if few additions might help. 

Not wanting to stick the boot in. As we are below you in the league….

But I am sure that is the 1st time I have watched Sportscene highlights and not watched a team have any highlights 🤷‍♂️. I mean not literally one attempt at goal. May be a misrepresentation but this is against a mediocre Aberdeen. 

Very worrying indeed. 

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

But I am sure that is the 1st time I have watched Sportscene highlights and not watched a team have any highlights 🤷‍♂️. I mean not literally one attempt at goal. May be a misrepresentation but this is against a mediocre Aberdeen. 

Very worrying indeed. 

Not seen it back but Saints had a few half chances. May header in the first half in particular at the time I thought he should have scored. 

Went closish in the second half with what would have been an own goal. 

That was about the only two chances that were actually close from memory though!

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Very worrying indeed. 

There's a few on the Sky ones. Just the BBC agenda against us.

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

There's a few on the Sky ones. Just the BBC agenda against us.

Fair enough. To be honest the BBC are not interested if you are not Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen Hearts, Hibernian in that order.

Their podcast is a feckin joke. Genuinely. Stupidly I still listen to it occasionally in the vain hope they will mention Motherwell. Normally after 55 minutes we are on Ange jumpers with no mention of any team outside the gruesome twosome. 

Clyde super scoreboard are little better but at least they are west coast so you can almost understand.