Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This. Get Deas in instead, if there's any money left in the kitty.

This is my preference and always has been. Don’t get me wrong Joe would be a solid signing and a solid option for a couple of years, but look at the back line that won us trophies. You had 3 centre backs all under 24, with the wing backs not much older. Proof you don’t need experience to defend, sometimes pace and athleticism goes a long way in this league. 

6 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I always presumed the Southend move was the result of his Dad burning the bridges with both Saints and Aberdeen with his excessive ask while thinking he'd get a offer near levels he was asking for and didn't. 

So that was the only other option.

He thought Joe was worth nearer to what his brother was on, which is fine. Off you pop to England for those riches pal and he did. More fool you if you try and replicate it up here, which Goodwin did and nearly blew all St Mirrens money. Let's hope the daft c**t does the same at United. 

10 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'll be surprised if we get Deas. 

Stinks of Saints made an offer but signs for Motherwell for a few extra quid. 

He’s from Perth though isn’t he? Not sure if he grew up a Saints fan but with his family here that has to be attractive? 

tbh since he can play LCB and LB and is a great age I would be chucking money at him and offering him security of a 3 year deal

Solves 2 problems in the squad imo. 

Edited by John Bonham

15 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

He’s from Perth though isn’t he? Not sure if he grew up a Saints fan but with his family here that has to be attractive? 

tbh since he can play LCB and LB and is a great age I would be chucking money at him and offering him security of a 3 year deal

It really is a no brainer. If not Deas, someone of his ilk, young, mobile and if they succeed, sellable. That should always be St Johnstones aims, not a squad of over 35s.

49 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Kinross I think. Not sure how much of a Saints fan, but I'm pretty sure his uncle was/is.

I mean, signing a left sided CB from ICT who was previously a celtic youth player by a former player and cup winning assistant managers first season after taking over as manager, went so terribly wrong for us last time! 😁

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It really is a no brainer. If not Deas, someone of his ilk, young, mobile and if they succeed, sellable. That should always be St Johnstones aims, not a squad of over 35s.

Thats expensive though, and you likely miss out on most you go for.

A Shaughnessy as a fall back option feels fine.

I just think we need a solid defence if we're putting Sinclair in goal, to give him the best chance. We can gamble on full backs but CBs need to be safe options.

Deas ideal is something i agree with.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats expensive though, and you likely miss out on most you go for.

A Shaughnessy as a fall back option feels fine.

I just think we need a solid defence if we're putting Sinclair in goal, to give him the best chance. We can gamble on full backs but CBs need to be safe options.

Deas ideal is something i agree with.

Do you know what Shaugnessey is on? If it's anywhere near what he was asking for before Southend then THAT'S expensive. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Do you know what Shaugnessey is on? If it's anywhere near what he was asking for before Southend then THAT'S expensive. 

Aye if hes expensive then f**k it, but Southend failure/St Mirren back up doesnt make his bargaining position strong.

As much as we need a younger, more exciting, side built, we also need a side that can survive in the division.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

He was one of our higher earners.

He'd been offered a year on reduced terms but wanted a two year deal on the terms offered which we weren't willing to give as he was likely not going to be starting regularly. Not something I necessarily agree with but can understand that you wouldn't want both Shaughnessy and Gallagher making up two of a back 3 - that's a quite astounding lack of pace if you do.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He was one of our higher earners.

He'd been offered a year on reduced terms but wanted a two year deal on the terms offered which we weren't willing to give as he was likely not going to be starting regularly. Not something I necessarily agree with but can understand that you wouldn't want both Shaughnessy and Gallagher making up two of a back 3 - that's a quite astounding lack of pace if you do.

If Saints were willing to offer 35 year old Andrew Considine a 2 year deal off the back of a 12 month injury lay off then I'm sure it won't be a problem to get Saints to offer him 2 years 😂

I do see it as very much as Saints type signing but who knows now. 

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

If Saints were willing to offer 35 year old Andrew Considine a 2 year deal off the back of a 12 month injury lay off then I'm sure it won't be a problem to get Saints to offer him 2 years 😂

He did have a strong offer to go back to Ireland in January and was considering it but I think injuries and suspensions to other players in our side put paid to it back then.

16 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

In fairness it’s no longer Flaherty and Davidson in charge of transfers, so you’d think (hope) we’d be a lot more sensible on that front this summer.