Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, sjc said:

The bubbly has gone a tad flat for St Johnstone since 2014 to be fair....

Aye, we've only finished with more top flight points than Hearts three times since we won the cup.

Disgraceful.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The local press will do Tommy Wright's bidding for him here, they know how much he wants this. In my opinion, it's in everyone's best interests that he gets it.

Simply cant agree it would be in the clubs best interest to lose him when we're struggling, and Hearts, Hibs and potentially Motherwell are all looking for a new manager at the same time.

I've felt for a while we need a new set of eyes evaluating the squad, as TW feels a bit biased by those he trusts (Swanson for instance pulls a decent wage, yet hasnt contributed in years to any top flight side). I also feel like TW is the perfect man to bring us out this struggle and keep us safe.

In saying that, losing him before an International break would hopefully give any new manager a week with the squad before his first game.

There’s nobody out there that inspires if he does go though! God knows who Brown would deem good enough. You’re looking at the usual rigmarole of Scottish names being linked, maybe a punt from down south which probably won’t end well, or total fantasy like enticing Jody Morris up north!

My only hope is he's been with us too long that everyone else starts to presume there's something wrong with him for not getting a bigger chance - like an old marriage he's now stuck with us forever.

To be fair to the Browns, one thing they've done well is appoint managers. Coyle, McInnes, Lomas and now Wright.

if he goes then a management committee of Macca, Cuptie, Frazer Wright and Martin Hardie, - re-sign Willie McLaren so Hardie can use him for public bollockings if he wants to strike some fear into the players

Looks like the NI job wont be available until next March, if NI are to play in the Euro 2020 play offs. Stoke have agreed to allow O'Neill to continue so will manage them for their remaining two qualifiers and then play offs, so looks like we'll have Wright until at least the end of next month.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Simply cant agree it would be in the clubs best interest to lose him when we're struggling, and Hearts, Hibs and potentially Motherwell are all looking for a new manager at the same time.

It's obviously not in Saints' interest to lose a good manager but neither is it in their interest to retain one who has been overlooked for the job he's been working towards for years. One that will have been a big part of his motivation to continue achieving at Saints. 

Ambition drives achievement and if this opportunity passes Tommy Wright by, you drain a big part of that ambition. 

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's obviously not in Saints' interest to lose a good manager but neither is it in their interest to retain one who has been overlooked for the job he's been working towards for years. One that will have been a big part of his motivation to continue achieving at Saints. 

Ambition drives achievement and if this opportunity passes Tommy Wright by, you drain a big part of that ambition. 

Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but are you suggesting we punt him if he doesnt get it?

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but are you suggesting we punt him if he doesnt get it?

No, I'm saying what I said earlier, it is in everyone's best interests if he gets the job. 

I have never been anything but unequivocal in my support of Tommy Wright. 

I don't like how the situation with O'Neill has developed. Saints don't need a manager (no matter who he is) effectively working their notice for four or six months. What do we do in January, or with contract renewals?

It works in our favour if Northern Ireland delay searching for a manager until the spring as it gives Tommy Wright even more incentive to do well but if they start the search now and make a quick appointment then, if it's TW, he has to leave if he's announced as their new manager. 

20 hours ago, Kyle said:

Probably the one job left to fear in respect of losing Tommy Wright. I don't see a bigger club making a move for him now to be honest but if he's given a sniff to manage his country, I don't think there's any prospect he'll stay at Saints.

I think it could happen this time - I've felt there's been a 'last days of Rome' feel about Tommy Wright's tenure for a while.

The late Roman Empire took a skelping off of Attila's mob... 

29 minutes ago, Radford said:

No, I'm saying what I said earlier, it is in everyone's best interests if he gets the job. 

I have never been anything but unequivocal in my support of Tommy Wright. 

Aye, assumed I'd read it wrong.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The late Roman Empire took a skelping off of Attila's mob... 

Then lasted a further 1000 years...