Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

To Hibs.net! to see the meltdown and fury that we've not accepted 3 bags of crisps and fat boy Drey Wright on loan for 6 months.

Club deserve credit if all the players we expect to leave over the next 12 months (Kerr, McCart, Rooney, McCann, (Clark?)) head down South rather than to league rivals, IMO. 

If selling McCart to Hibs harms our chances of finishing above them then the money involved in league position needs factored in.

We offered £250k and it’s still well short. As expected we can’t afford what St Johnstone want and we’ve moved on to a new target. f**k knows why we’ve waited this long, I can’t imagine the asking price was a fucking secret. Mathie masterclass. 

I’d have imagined we’d have made it clear up front as well what we’d have expected, so likely that Hibs have decided to chance their arm after we’ve been knocked out on the off chance.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wonder if Hendry to Killie has been done for weeks and it's just waiting on us getting Vertainen in?

That's been the rumour down here anyway ever since TW said a deal was 98% done with a player about 2 weeks ago....

Edited by C4mmy31

Just now, C4mmy31 said:

That's been the rumour down here anyway ever since TW said a deal was 98% done about 2 weeks ago....

Yeah it all adds up really. Hes looked like a complete after thought since stinking the place out in pre-season, and its kind of obvious theres no place for him once Vertainen comes in.

Right sort of move for Hendry, as hes clearly not top flight quality. Being in a side who should be dominating a lot of games maybe suits him better too.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah it all adds up really. Hes looked like a complete after thought since stinking the place out in pre-season, and its kind of obvious theres no place for him once Vertainen comes in.

Right sort of move for Hendry, as hes clearly not top flight quality. Being in a side who should be dominating a lot of games maybe suits him better too.

The other name banding about was a loan deal for Matty Kennedy....

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Got the four above, plus...

Target Man - Aerially strong striker who is also weighted towards being a goal threat

Limited Target Man - Aerially strong striker who does nothing else

Advanced Forward - Player whos weighted towards attacking + possession actions rather than defensive

Creative Goal Threat - Highly creative striker who is also a major goal threat

Defensive - Massively weighted towards defensive actions

Possession - Massively weighted towards possession actions

Poacher - Massively weighted towards attacking actions

In general you probably want to avoid a limited target man or defensive player, or at least you don't actively seek them out. A creative goal threat is something thats hard to find at our level really, you're looking at a Liam Boyce type player that falls under that profile. Lewis Vaughan does too but long deal + horrendous injury history means thats unlikely. Rest are either fairly small sample size wingers, or players who've already moved this Summer. Think thats probably the dream role though?

Ideally we probably want a Target Man or Advanced Forward, I'd guess, but again, probably left it pretty late in the day to get anyone good enough permanently.

Why do you think Eetu is a creative playmaker?

4 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Why do you think Eetu is a creative playmaker?

Role I had defined for a player whos weighted towards possession based actions, but has huge creative figures too, so just what he came out as tbh.

Currently trying to improve it again tonight (must be about version 200 by now) so see how he comes out once I'm happy with the new metrics.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Role I had defined for a player whos weighted towards possession based actions, but has huge creative figures too, so just what he came out as tbh.

Currently trying to improve it again tonight (must be about version 200 by now) so see how he comes out once I'm happy with the new metrics.

Just you’ve posted,Hendry has no place when he comes in,but Hendry isn’t a creative playmaker by any means 

1 minute ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Just you’ve posted,Hendry has no place when he comes in,but Hendry isn’t a creative playmaker by any means 

Maybe wrong, but I dont think Hendry fits anywhere in our set up, while we have space for someone who can link with the wide men/midfield and create chances individually. Didn't mean to suggest Vertainen is a direct replacement for Hendry, simply that Vertainen coming in and being better in terms of quality and "fit" in the system, means Hendry becomes redundant beyond impact sub, something I doubt he wants.

Think Hendry (and May tbh) are probably better suited to a team who'll play 2 up front exclusively, probably with wingers too.

Perhaps if McCart goes, is when we’ll slot back in with a back 4? Then I’m not really sure a centre back signing is necessary. 

Davidson always said he never intended to play a back 3 at saints so could be the time to revert. Don’t think we really create enough clear cut chances in it. Seems ideal as a counter attacking alternative though.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

To Hibs.net! to see the meltdown and fury that we've not accepted 3 bags of crisps and fat boy Drey Wright on loan for 6 months.

Club deserve credit if all the players we expect to leave over the next 12 months (Kerr, McCart, Rooney, McCann, (Clark?)) head down South rather than to league rivals, IMO. 

If selling McCart to Hibs harms our chances of finishing above them then the money involved in league position needs factored in.

Weird opening line...........I don't think many on Hibs.net (or elsewhere) are that bothered about him - I had a look at the transfers thread there, and all that is being said is that if St J want £300k (as you leaked to the courier) then it's too much and we move on.

Obviously asking again after you lost the other night was a sensible thing to do but if the answer is the same, no point in flogging that horse.

I'm not sure about Davidson not intending to play a back three originally, as in one of his first interviews, he name-checked this 5-2-3 formation and he said he wanted to work hard on two formations (the other presumably being the more conventional 3-5-2).

Tommy Wright had drifted towards the back three in his final few months as it was hard to justify leaving out Kerr, Gordon or McCart. 

I'd be very wary about us switching to a back four but equally, we could well need to adapt depending on what happens before Tuesday. I've been disappointed at how little we've seen from Kerr and McCart pushing forward so far this season. 

Edited by Radford

We go to a back 4 and we’d need to put Brown in at right back. Rooney simply doesn’t have the discipline to play there. Not sure we’ve also got the wide players to play a flat back either, they’re all suited to playing further forward. 

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Got the four above, plus...

... get anyone good enough permanently.

I find this a really interesting development in the the way football is going. The ability to profile players, pull up lists, then work your way through them. Any club that isn't embracing this is surely going to get left behind. 

Wonder how Stevie May of 2013/14 would have profiled? 

You'll need to ask a lot of money when someone wants to buy this system off you. 

Callum said he never wanted to come in and stick to the one system, not that he wanted to play a back 4. 

By the way, has anyone thought about him already having the option of another left footed CB? I know Callum has and does, he's not stupid. If the correct offer comes in for any of the mooted players leaving, he has identified options. Don't worry, be happy.

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

Wonder how Stevie May of 2013/14 would have profiled? 

Would guess the amount of goals he scored would naturally weight him towards attack.

Think he got a decent amount of assists that season too?

Likely could've hit the fabled "Creative Goal Threat" profile, but I'm genuinely not certain on that. Can't even mock it up as I don't have access to that season numbers wise. Kevin Nisbet for Hibs is classed as an "Advanced Forward", as he's great in attack, alright in possession, and isn't tasked with defending from the front for the whole match, so that feels like a decent comparison? 

The more I’ve been thinking about it, the more I’m coming round to the idea that whilst McCart is a very good centre back at this level, Gordon makes him look better than he is. I really like Jamie and think he’s got skills that others in our team don’t have, but recently his firm has tailed off and I don’t think that’s a coincidence with Gordon missing. Jason Kerr is probably the best of our defenders, but he isn’t an organiser and you could see on Thursday with him in the middle you lose the perfect covering aspect of the back 3, I know Gordon has played it a lot more, but his influence cannot be ignored. I don’t know why, but McCart always seems to suffer without big Liam and for that reason if he does leave, whilst I think he’ll eventually be a success (unless he joins Hibs) he’s going to have to improve sufficiently to play his own game without the cover or re-learn how to play in a central 2. He’s got all the ability to become an international player I think, but he’d have to improve further than he already has. That being said, we’ve had an excellent 18 months out of him and he’s written his name into our history, so thanks to Matty Kennedy for that! 

Despite all this, I don’t want to lose him, but Callum will have someone in mind to replace him. I know it’s early stages, but you could always shift Booth inside one and that gives Devine an opportunity as he looks really promising. Same with Muller, despite being young, he’s got something about him. 

From what I’ve seen of Muller, he has potential and looks more similar stylistically to McCart than our other two defenders. So I feel quite calm about Jamie’s potential departure, whether we decide to sign a first-choice replacement or give Muller a chance and sign a back-up.