Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Stolen from other clubs’ thread. Table last season and this at the split.

last season: 

14BA2B6E-9413-4DD6-895D-CE6CCED2C40E.jpeg.49029b954839544caf1af087506ac2fb.jpeg

this season:

14B33E6C-18AE-4C82-9CF3-65F82DDFF732.thumb.jpeg.affb7ed7ff074384e701c14609ed856b.jpeg

Scored 13 fewer, conceded only 4 more. 10 points worse off.

So the defence is performing roughly the same if you take yesterday out the equation, but we’re a lot poorer in attack, when we were already struggling in that area.

Edited by PauloPerth

Only because we’ve stopped scoring away from home to the same degree as last season. We were relatively effective on the counter attack away last season which opposition teams identified and have stopped. The fact we have zero pace and a manager who refuses to change, well, anything really (apart from personnel) will have contributed to that too. I think opposition teams are showing the benefit of being proactive, we just muddle along and then try and change things when it’s already too late. 

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I think there are a few twists in this season yet and if Saints are to be anywhere but bottom they'll have to play well and score goals. 

This is it, really. We saw before January that if you can't create chances regularly then you're playing on a knife edge. One error, from a defender or ref, and that's you lost the game. We're just reliant on our opponents fucking up and missing chances, if we were a tennis player we'd just be stood at the line for the whole match spanking the ball straight back at our opponent. We win if they miss and lose if they don't. 5pts from bottom, and a potential head to head encounter for safety, and thats the approach we're going into it with. Just dont lose. We've played all the other bottom half sides since the winter break and only beaten one of them.

Ciftci and Bair was an attempt to do something about the shit attack but its just card shuffling in a fucked deck really, we don't create anywhere near enough chances for strikers so it doesnt hugely matter whos up front. 2 months since anyone other than Hendry had a shot on target inside the box is embarrassing and is a massive red flag as to whats to come, but nobody at the club cares because we're not bottom at the moment.

15 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The shooting stat highlighted by random is terrifying stuff. 

It takes the wyscout oddball to point it out while those so called journalists, that have access to ask the coaching staff on our behalf, sit there and back slap Callum as he blames any and every c**t else.

When did these c***s become complete shitebags?

In the fucking womb would be my answer. Spineless c***s.

56 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The shooting stat highlighted by random is terrifying stuff. 

Terrifying, but not surprising to anyone who actually pays to watch St Johnstone.

Professional pundits, though, have a different view.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

It takes the wyscout oddball to point it out while those so called journalists, that have access to ask the coaching staff on our behalf, sit there and back slap Callum as he blames any and every c**t else.

When did these c***s become complete shitebags?

In the fucking womb would be my answer. Spineless c***s.

I think.it is fair to say that Davidson has spent his credit for last season with the fans, but still has buckets of it with the media guys.

If we were in the same position as now, but Davidson had tried fixes to personnel and tactics throughout the season, you could argue that he is trying everything to get the best out of the players, but they were not performing, but that is not the case, he is too rigid in team selection and tactics.

IF, we stay up, and we think he will learn from it and identify and admit where he maybe got it wrong and how he will fix it, then keep him in post. If it is more of the same and we get a line about small margins etc etc etc, then he probably needs to go. 

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Terrifying, but not surprising to anyone who actually pays to watch St Johnstone.

Professional pundits, though, have a different view.

Made worse, as its not as if we have players all over the park pinging shots from outside the box. Of course, our main striker will be at the top of shots inside the box, but the stat is mental. 

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

IF, we stay up, and we think he will learn from it and identify and admit where he maybe got it wrong and how he will fix it, then keep him in post.

Is it not already too late for that?

The 10 teams above us, plus Kilmarnock now, will already, and have already, started signing players for next season. Can we afford to wait a month to see if we stay up, then wait on Davidson formulating a new plan, then wait even further for him to identify players to fit that new plan and approach them?

January was his chance. Obvious to us all we needed more goals and a new approach to get out the bottom two. All he changed was personnel. He'll likely think he doesn't need to change much next season as Wotherspoon and Kane will be back.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it not already too late for that?

The 10 teams above us, plus Kilmarnock now, will already, and have already, started signing players for next season. Can we afford to wait a month to see if we stay up, then wait on Davidson formulating a new plan, then wait even further for him to identify players to fit that new plan and approach them?

January was his chance. Obvious to us all we needed more goals and a new approach to get out the bottom two. All he changed was personnel. He'll likely think he doesn't need to change much next season as Wotherspoon and Kane will be back.

I wouldn't say it is too late. Some will have started signing players and have a plan, but take the top 6 for example, difficult for them to really plan as they dint know who will be un Europe etc. Bottom 6, probably bar Hibs, everyone else, including Aberdeen, will probably only plan for next season until they know they are totally safe. That may for some be after only a couple of games, but that will save them, what, 2 weeks on Saints. Equally, doubt Killie will be set either.

Given we don't have Europe, much more time to plan. If we are still up next season, probably need 7/8 first team players, but would imagine that even with SG gone, there will be a working list.

My preference for next season is to stick with Davidson, but think we need to shake up the backroom staff. 

I'll throw in a wee grenade here for next season. Would we accept Davidson staying in a coaching set up where Tommy Wright comes in as a director of football role, with responsibilities covering player recruitment and setting the direction of the club off the field?

Edited by Theyellowbox

I’m not sure the club can afford not to take action in the summer regardless of where we end up. Our season ticket sales increased dramatically for this season after the cup wins and because of the novelty of getting to games following covid. How many of the new season ticket holders will want to come back after what we’ve seen this season? I’ve been a season ticket holder for the last 25 years and there’s no way I’m renewing if it’s just going to be more of the same next year.

Appreciate I’ve  always been pretty down on Davidson. Never really liked the style of football he wants to play or the shape he’s married to and everything this season just signifies red flags all over the place to me. The stats which RandomGuy tirelessly puts together only act as evidence for what the eyes tell all of us. We’re shit to watch, we’re not very effective going forward and everyone knows how to play against us. We’ve also lost that sense of identity and character that separated us from a lot of the other teams in the league last season. 

I really wish we’d given another manager the massive budget and the other resources Davidson has had this season. What a complete waste of time and money most of his signings have been. Even if they’re good players, which we don’t know as half of them haven’t even had a chance, he doesn’t give them a game in favour of guys that are clearly sub-standard or off the boil because they’re good bunch eh lads. 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

If we were in the same position as now, but Davidson had tried fixes to personnel and tactics throughout the season, you could argue that he is trying everything to get the best out of the players, but they were not performing, but that is not the case, he is too rigid in team selection and tactics.

Got to think fear is playing a big part too.  The players afraid to mess up or not stick to the game plan dictated to by the management.  And the manager scared to bring in his new signings in case they end up not being good enough - and viewed by the board as a waste of money. 

5 hours ago, mizfit said:

I wish we gave another HOR the funds myself, considering that was their job.

From what I've heard, we won't be getting a new HOR, Davidson is now back in charge of scouting/sourcing/approaching players, same as it was before we changed the set up.

So we're back to relying on agents offering us players and friends of Davidson tipping us off about players down South.

Ken what, f**k it. Clear the journalists have zero intention of holding Davidson to account, so why not have a go. If anything it could help him more than this nauseating defence of everything he does.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

From what I've heard, we won't be getting a new HOR, Davidson is now back in charge of scouting/sourcing/approaching players, same as it was before we changed the set up.

So we're back to relying on agents offering us players and friends of Davidson tipping us off about players down South.

You’ve heard wrong then. Like your earlier post about the shots inside the box (does home v Hearts not count) you make things up to suit your anti- Davidson agenda. I am not happy with the way we are playing, who is ?? but surely the guy who less than 12 months ago gave the club their most memorable season deserves the chance to put things right. Radford pointed out earlier that last season we got the bounce of the ball and a wee bit of luck whereas this season we have received poor refereeing decisions and no luck. The way we are playing compared to last season hasn’t changed significantly. What has changed though is the players. We lost Kerr and McCann and haven’t really replaced either and that, according to you, is the manager’s fault. I disagree. It sits pretty much squarely on the shoulders of the head of recruitment. This is one of the reasons he was binned and a scouting network is being set up.

2 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

You’ve heard wrong then. Like your earlier post about the shots inside the box (does home v Hearts not count)

I'm counting the Hearts game. By the time we hit game 34 that will have been 2 months ago. 

It's 7 games since someone other than Hendry scored or hit the target from inside the area, and that's after we've apparently hit great form and solved our issues in the January window.

4 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

We lost Kerr and McCann and haven’t really replaced either and that, according to you, is the manager’s fault. I disagree. 

If only he had a full season of seeing we had no real back up/replacement for either, then months to prepare for Kerrs departure. Kerr made it clear he was wasnt signing a new deal, and the manager was well aware of that and agreed we'd sell him for a decent fee in the Summer.

Muller, Dendoncker then Ambrose were his attempts this Summer. Charlie Gilmour was his attempt at replacing McCann, then it was MacPherson.

It was his job for 12 months to prepare us for this season and anticipate departures and he completely failed at that despite knowing what was coming. I've zero sympathy with him about the shit squad he built that fucked us in the first half of the season.