Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worked for the club until my child was born this week, and Cleary was spoken about as an option in August as it was clear Kerr was off that month. The decision to go for Dendoncker was made because Davie Weir told the manager Dendoncker could step in easily and would be free at the end of the season. Davidson went for that option because Davie Weir has played senior games as a CB and Stevie Grieve hasnt. There was a list of alternatives to Cleary that included Mahon completely ignored to loan Dendoncker in.

Cammy Devlin was suggested to the club before last season ended, for under £100k, Davidson declined because he didn't believe we needed another CM. A list of EFL options were drawn up to replace McCann the week before the window ended with deals provisionally agreed with some clubs, the manager picked Cammy MacPherson because he's always liked him and thought he could mould him.

Anthony Evans, 23yo with 8 goals and 8 assists in the EFL League Two this season was in talks to sign for free in the Summer. Davidson rejected him as he wanted "proven quality" in Ali Crawford.

Ilmari Niskanen was suggested to the club before he signed for United. Davidson rejected it as he didn't think we needed wingers.

Jamie Walker was close to signing in January, the manager delayed the deal because Graham Corey's agent told him he wanted to return to Scotland for family reasons and Davidson thought hes a better central option. We lost out on both as Walker refused to wait and Carey changed his mind.

Davidson wanted a CM in January beside Hallberg, Chapman identified. Davidson changed his mind. Davidson changed his mind again so Chapman approached. Davidson changed his mind so deal stalled. Davidson changed his mind again but by that point he'd signed for Dundee. Davidson moaned about not getting a CM. EPL youth approached on loan, Davidson changed his mind so nothing happened. Davidson now moaning about a lack energy in CM.

The manager has made Butterfield and Ciftci two of the highest earners at the club, both were vetoed by the HOR but Davidson got his way, because, as with every deal since he took charge, he gets the final say.

Davidsons last plans for the Summer that I was aware of was trying to push the club to spend £250k to get Middleton permanently. He wanted to spend £100k on Mark O'Hara in January before changing his mind and wanting to wait on Hallberg.

Do I agree with what Grieves done? No. He played his part in the McCann sale and I don't agree with that, I think Bair will struggle to ever justify his price tag too.

Should I be putting all this out publicly? Probably not, but this weird picture you're painting of Davidson as some poor wee bystander as the evil HOR comes in and shits all over him is just wrong. January was an absolute fucking farce where deals only got done if Davidson couldn't find his own players to suggest, and even then he'd draw everything out for weeks instead. The shitebag journalists know all this, but they're terrified of saying anything because Davidson will do to them what he always does if you don't just blindly agree with him.

What a post. The Stevie Scapegoat stuff put out by weirdo posters on here and Davidson's client journalists has never sat right with me. It's all damning but the idea we could have had Cammy Devlin has me absolutely beeling tbh

1 hour ago, NYD1997 said:

On this point - who was the last player we have brought from down south or out with that has been what can be classed as a success who had no ties to Scotland at all? Last one I can think of is Abeid (I’m sure someone will remind me of someone else) but we have had players such as Isaiah Jones come up and look like they have never kicked a ball then go back and be a superstar down south

Okay if you're counting players who've come here with no ties to Scotland as you seem to be..: 

Dan Cleary, Guy Melamed, Danny McNamara, Matt Butcher, Drey Wright, George Williams/Matty Willock (sort-of, both contributed without being great), Clive Smith, Graham Cummins, James Dunne, Gwion Edwards, Rowan Vine, Alan Mannus and Medhi Abeid.

All of them signed since or around Abeid, all of them contributed enough that I would probably class them as just about being a success with a couple of debatable ones.

Here's the ones who fit your criteria that I've put down as a failure fwiw:

Marcus Maddison, Michael Doughty, Sanel Jahic, Adam Morgan, Plamen Krachunov, Joe Gormley, Michael Coulson, David McMillan, Tristan Nydam, Conor Mitchell, Madis Vihmann, Izzy Jones, Eetu Vertainen, Charlie Gilmour, Isaac Olaofe, Jahmal Hector-Ingram, Butterfield, Viv Solomon Otabor, Reece Devine, Dendoncker, Bair, Mahon etc etc. 

Edit: so my basic point is, until Callum Davidson started chucking around contracts to players he'd never seen play we'd just about signed more good 'uns than bad 'uns from abroad/down south in the last decade. 

Edited by Zamora Fan

I worked for the club until my child was born this week, and Cleary was spoken about as an option in August as it was clear Kerr was off that month. The decision to go for Dendoncker was made because Davie Weir told the manager Dendoncker could step in easily and would be free at the end of the season. Davidson went for that option because Davie Weir has played senior games as a CB and Stevie Grieve hasnt. There was a list of alternatives to Cleary that included Mahon completely ignored to loan Dendoncker in.

Cammy Devlin was suggested to the club before last season ended, for under £100k, Davidson declined because he didn't believe we needed another CM. A list of EFL options were drawn up to replace McCann the week before the window ended with deals provisionally agreed with some clubs, the manager picked Cammy MacPherson because he's always liked him and thought he could mould him.

Anthony Evans, 23yo with 8 goals and 8 assists in the EFL League Two this season was in talks to sign for free in the Summer. Davidson rejected him as he wanted "proven quality" in Ali Crawford.

Ilmari Niskanen was suggested to the club before he signed for United. Davidson rejected it as he didn't think we needed wingers.

Jamie Walker was close to signing in January, the manager delayed the deal because Graham Corey's agent told him he wanted to return to Scotland for family reasons and Davidson thought hes a better central option. We lost out on both as Walker refused to wait and Carey changed his mind.

Davidson wanted a CM in January beside Hallberg, Chapman identified. Davidson changed his mind. Davidson changed his mind again so Chapman approached. Davidson changed his mind so deal stalled. Davidson changed his mind again but by that point he'd signed for Dundee. Davidson moaned about not getting a CM. EPL youth approached on loan, Davidson changed his mind so nothing happened. Davidson now moaning about a lack energy in CM.

The manager has made Butterfield and Ciftci two of the highest earners at the club, both were vetoed by the HOR but Davidson got his way, because, as with every deal since he took charge, he gets the final say.

Davidsons last plans for the Summer that I was aware of was trying to push the club to spend £250k to get Middleton permanently. He wanted to spend £100k on Mark O'Hara in January before changing his mind and wanting to wait on Hallberg.

Do I agree with what Grieves done? No. He played his part in the McCann sale and I don't agree with that, I think Bair will struggle to ever justify his price tag too.

Should I be putting all this out publicly? Probably not, but this weird picture you're painting of Davidson as some poor wee bystander as the evil HOR comes in and shits all over him is just wrong. January was an absolute fucking farce where deals only got done if Davidson couldn't find his own players to suggest, and even then he'd draw everything out for weeks instead. The shitebag journalists know all this, but they're terrified of saying anything because Davidson will do to them what he always does if you don't just blindly agree with him.

Congratulations pal.

Probably worth binning this post, as fantastic as it is. Don't want to do yourself out of a chance of going back if someone with a brain takes over.

Great post.

I'm genuinely absolutely seething now.

Dundee Away
St Mirren Home
Livi Away
Aberdeen Home
Hibs away

Really, we need to hit the ground running in our opening 2 or it’s all but over before it begins.

20 hours ago, The Saintee said:

The shooting stat highlighted by random is terrifying stuff. 

If we get away with it this season then we're doomed next season. 

I must’ve missed this. What’s the terrifying stat please? Apologies if it’s on the thread already but I can’t see it. 

21 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Dundee Away
St Mirren Home
Livi Away
Aberdeen Home
Hibs away

Really, we need to hit the ground running in our opening 2 or it’s all but over before it begins.

We could find ourselves out of the bottom 2 by the end of the 2nd game, which would be glorious. We will mess that up though.

If we did manage to beat Dundee in the first game, we'd be 8 clear with 4 to play. Not impossible for Dundee to catch, but it would be a tough task. Lose that game and we are only 2 clear and it is game on. This is where the tactics really come in. Do you make sure you do not lose and keep 5 clear on the basis that Dundee may struggle to make that up or do you push for a win to allow to push for 10th....

I do love the thought of a cracking away day at Easter Road in the sunshine to make sure we avoid the playoff place. 

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I do love the thought of a cracking away day at Easter Road in the sunshine to make sure we avoid the playoff place. 

This. I’ve that Monday off as well so it’s only going one way

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On Cleary, I’m of the understanding that Dundalk outright told us to fu<k off he’s not for sale last summer