Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think he's possibly more likely to be kept on if we go down than if we stay up.

I think if we go down then the board might get enticed by the easy option of keeping him on the false assumption we'd walk the championship - "I mean - he's won two cups".

If we stay up then next season looks absolutely fucking brutal - and maybe one or both of Davidson or the board won't fancy it.

I think he probably looks at some of the guys that would be about his boys age farting about and gets understandably angry about it, but in an annoyed parent kind if way.
I know that when he went into Killie he was pretty shocked at the wages of some of the guys, the work ethics and attitudes of some senior players. Not surprised at all it didn't work out for him at Killie.
A club like Killie or a Dundee would not suit Tommy at all. But Saints, Livi or County, where he could get stuck right into all aspects of the club would always be perfect for him.
Is he a bully? No, but he is pretty direct. Equally, could I see him having some outdated views or have different views on some sensitive personal issues, absolutely.
Tommy would have been a good manager 20 years ago, 10 years ago and 5 years ago. Would he be good in 5, 10 years, likely not.
When Malky messes up or Martindale's 'workings' catch up, Tommy should be front of the que. 

Cheers, very interesting reply.

10 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Best part of a million pounds earned from Europe this season if you include gate and TV money too.

Think how much of that has gone on this horribly bloated sqaud.

And just think that's getting beat, without spending any cash.

Half a mill on a proven, decent striker and you can at least × that by 5.

Really really bad foresight from the club.

With 5th place now confirmed to qualify for Europe it’s safe to say we’ve made a c**t of it and hopefully it’s a rude awakening for everyone at the club.

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

With 5th place now confirmed to qualify for Europe it’s safe to say we’ve made a c**t of it and hopefully it’s a rude awakening for everyone at the club.

It won't be, they still think they're the best run wee club in the country. 

We can obviously see right through them, amateurish shitebags overseeing a fucking shambles.

12 hours ago, mizfit said:

No doubting that had we built on last season and recruited better, more success was there for us this season. 5th clearly achievable and to know that 2 from Utd, Motherwell and County will get a European squad is a bit galling given that none of them have played us off the parknat any point this season.

However, Aberdeen and Hibs will be thinking the same and St Mirren and Livi will feel they have missed out too. I think what is clear is that this season has had the strongest set of teams in the top flight for a long long time.

Where we had a bit of an advantage was being well run, I.e debt free and with a stable squad, which allowed us to compete with other clubs that had a high turnover of players and had to service debts. Now we are back in the pack as such, it is harder to maybe get the level of player relative to others. What frustrates is that given our recent successes and longevity in the top flight, we are/were much more attractive to players outwith finances than we will have ever been before. Instead of using that, we squandered it this year.

This season was either going to be a great opportunity to kick on as a club and even if not make Europe, be comfortable enough to celebrate the success of last season etc or to end up where we are and back to the old mentality of seeing staying in the league and finishing 10th as a success. And now, we would all see 10th as a success.

Of course, give the size of club we are and our longer history, we are/were always one bad season away from a relegation battle, but it didn't need to be this way.

Club needs to look long and hard over the summer on both whether the manager and his coaching staff are right for the club and also, the general set up and structure off the pitch. A lot is right, but a lot needs fixing and frankly, I think some within the club have become lazy and complacent. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye, 4th longest run of any club in the top league, about 6 of past 10 seasons qualified for Europe, second most trophies won in the country over the last 10 years.

Shambles.

Do you think this shambles of a season won't effect St Johnstone in any way, even if we stay up?

This well run club shite is a fallacy based on being surrounded by basket cases. Sure there are loads of folk doing all they can but as bulletproof says himself he answers to no one. This season has the potential to ruin all the good work, some by himself I admit, by all those good people. Ruined by a few individuals.

Shite foresight by the chairman, shite team management by the manager, shite sales/recruitment. shite pitch by the groundsman, shite carpark, seats, and consumer facilities when we were told years ago they were being addressed. The money made through sales and Europe is in danger of being swallowed and that's before we get relegated. 

Of course we've been successful over this last decade, a lot of this was due to just being a stable club with some great folk employed as well as a great deal of luck. I can see that eroding away and fairly quickly, that's what frustrates me most. 

You may not like it but there is only one word to describe Saints at the moment, shambles.

I think what St Johnstone have achieved in the last decade for a club their size has been significant, maybe even extraordinary.  I always thought that it would come to and end but there seem to be fans on here who think that the run should last indefinitely.

if you go down, and that’s not a certainty, then you might struggle to get backup but even if you stay up I think you’ll be a bottom six club for a few seasons.

Just think yourselves lucky that you’ve experienced the last few years.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think what is clear is that this season has had the strongest set of teams in the top flight for a long long time

I think what is clear is that from 4th to 12th is just absolute fuckin dross. Equal dross but dross just the same. 

18 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

I think what is clear is that from 4th to 12th is just absolute fuckin dross. Equal dross but dross just the same. 

Aye totally this. I work with a motherwell ST holder and their particular brand of shiteball is not going down well there, and his take was also that the standard if the league this year is honking, the worst it’s been for a long time.

So its not just us seeing awful football this season, out with the OF and hearts (and maybe ross county who are at least getting some entertainment from Charles-cook and hungbo) the rest of the league is just awful. 

which does make it all the more galling  that we didn’t invest i  the squad in the summer as Europe feels like it would have been achievable. 

7 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Aye. 

At least Ross County have a nice sort of style that is pleasing on the eye, helps that they have a couple of really good attacking players.

Doesn't really matter who gets relegated this season, there's about 5 teams who could be in trouble next season.

7 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I agree that the football is utter dross, but in a way, I think they are all stronger in that there is not a team that is a lot weaker than any other. Dare I say that the teams have moved more towards a Tommy Wright philosophy of make sure you are hard to beat, but bar maybe County, no one has tried to combine that with being creative offensively.

If the league continues this way, I suspect we will get boring football, but probably more successful in European competition. 

It's not unusual for the team in 7th to have more points than 6th because of the split. This gets generally accepted for some reason or other. 

It's going to look proper tin pot if the team in 7th finishes with more points than 4th............ 🤔  

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

It's not unusual for the team in 7th to have more points than 6th because of the split. This gets generally accepted for some reason or other. 

It's going to look proper tin pot if the team in 7th finishes with more points than 4th............ 🤔  

It's not too difficult to understand, i dont see why people get their knickers in a twist about that scenario tbh.

17 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

It's not too difficult to understand, i dont see why people get their knickers in a twist about that scenario tbh.

I didn't say I didn't understand it. I understand it alright but I don't have to like it. It's just tin pot as f**k. Always has been. I accept I'm in the minority. Probably because a lot of fans know no different. 

4 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Nonsense

Incorrect :)