Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The league this season has been absolute fuckin’ garbage. One of the worst I can remember. The standard has been incredibly shit, Hearts are the only team which have been decent outside the OF. Going from double winners and holding Galatasaray to a draw after 1 and a half legs - to finishing second bottom, potentially still bottom, of a league full of piss poor teams in the manner that we have…it’s unforgivable.

The league has been going this way for a decade, certainly since the play-offs increased the jeopardy at the bottom. 

Get a goal then kill as much time as possible, stopping the opposition at all costs. That's the game plan for pretty much everyone outside of the big sides and even they are drawn into it if they aren't strong at the time. 

It's rubbish. 

I was always against the idea of bigger leagues but if there's a chance it could halt this decline, then I'd be in favour. But then prize money and bonus money is such a motivating factor that it might not arrest it. The only thing worse than wasting time, rolling around, disrupting free kicks and camping in to stay in the league would be doing it to finish 13th rather than 14th and get a few extra quid. 

Are we not saying this because we're stuck at the bottom though? I believe man for man, most squads are considerably better than they were a few seasons ago. For instance, I think our current squad is quite a bit better (at least pre-January when we had more than just Danny Mullen up front) than the sides we had when we finished 8th under Hartley and then both of Neil McCann's seasons.

I think the league being stronger has led to teams playing this tighter style and led to anyone being able to beat anyone on any given day.

As for you lot, naturally, you'll think it's worse because the season you're currently having.

Edited by Ludo*1

Agree about the quality and entertainment on offer.

Ironically we’ve probably been one of the best at it and biggest beneficiaries of the go a goal ahead tactic then become hard to break down, since around 2014-15. 

Wonder if the introduction of a goal bonus would help? For example, if you score 3 or more goals a game you get an extra point, win lose or draw.  Or possibly even just if you score 2 goals a game if 3 is too unrealistic for most!

Obviously the OF sides will do best out of this as they routinely spank teams, but it’s not going to affect the top places anyway as they’re so far ahead. 

I think the league being stronger has led to teams playing this tighter style and led to anyone being able to beat anyone on any given day.

WTF is this “the league is stronger” patter all about? Have the folk who say this been following the same league as the rest of us? It’s been a dreadful season for the top flight! As I said earlier, Hearts are the only team who have been half decent and the rest are dog shit. Their closest challengers for 3rd spot, Dundee United, are 16pts behind and have -6 goal difference ffs. The reason the league is so tight is because the teams have no consistency and are just taking points off each other. Teams like Aberdeen and Hibs who you’d expect to finish comfortably in the top half have struggled. The OF have run away at the top as expected - but the gap is huge this year. In a strong league season you’d expect teams to be taking more points off the OF and more teams vying for 3rd spot. Everyone has been total shit and St Johnstone and Dundee have suffered for it because we just so happen to be even worse than the rest of them - which is utterly tragic.

26 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

WTF is this “the league is stronger” patter all about?

This season is just a great example of how pish it is. 

The bigots win every week. The rest just take points off each other weakening any remote possibility of a challenge. 

How that is 'stronger' is anyones fuckin guess :lol: 

35 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

WTF is this “the league is stronger” patter all about? Have the folk who say this been following the same league as the rest of us? It’s been a dreadful season for the top flight! As I said earlier, Hearts are the only team who have been half decent and the rest are dog shit. Their closest challengers for 3rd spot, Dundee United, are 16pts behind and have -6 goal difference ffs. The reason the league is so tight is because the teams have no consistency and are just taking points off each other. Teams like Aberdeen and Hibs who you’d expect to finish comfortably in the top half have struggled. The OF have run away at the top as expected - but the gap is huge this year. In a strong league season you’d expect teams to be taking more points off the OF and more teams vying for 3rd spot. Everyone has been total shit and St Johnstone and Dundee have suffered for it because we just so happen to be even worse than the rest of them - which is utterly tragic.

Teams have no consistency because the squad's are much tighter this season IMO.

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

This season is just a great example of how pish it is. 

The bigots win every week. The rest just take points off each other weakening any remote possibility of a challenge. 

How that is 'stronger' is anyones fuckin guess :lol: 

Or the league is more competitive than it's been for a decade?

@PauloPerth linked to a screenshot of the table at the split last season the other day.

14BA2B6E-9413-4DD6-895D-CE6CCED2C40E.jpeg

This is as it stands now.

1618200388_ScreenShot2022-04-18at18_31_43.thumb.png.aaecbcdb26688efa34c93ac34a89c131.png

Hearts have a point more than Hibs did in 3rd last season.

Dundee have 2 points fewer than Accies in 12th, Saints are 2 points better off than Killie in 11th.

10th is actually 7 points better this season than it was last season.

6th (Hi) = 40 points both seasons. Indeed last season 6th and 7th was only separated by GB (but you know that already as it was your lot that scraped in there).

The main points difference is that 4th is 8 points less than last season and 5th is 4 points.

Obviously none of that speaks to whether the teams are better/worse to watch but in terms of the spread of points it's not massively different. I'm inclined to agree with @Radford's general point re: jeopardy above though.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Or the league is more competitive than it's been for a decade?

I look at the league table and 'competitive' is not the word that jumps out at me. 

Now this may all come across as sour grapes given our position. I get that. 

Meh! I've made peace with the possibility of relegation. I'll no be too disappointed if we go down. It'll be no more than we deserve. 

Personally I have found the league stronger compared to last year. We have a far better team this year but not dishing out the same amount of pumpings despite winning 33 domestic games in a row. Last season was probably the weakest I felt the league was for a long time. Aberdeen pretty much stopped playing football in January and still nearly finished best of the rest.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon Dundee and St Johnstone this season would pump the Killie and Hamilton of last season tbh.

In fairness 80% or whatever of this Dundee team did pump last season's Killie side. Over two legs as well. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Personally I have found the league stronger compared to last year. We have a far better team this year but not dishing out the same amount of pumpings despite winning 33 domestic games in a row. Last season was probably the weakest I felt the league was for a long time. Aberdeen pretty much stopped playing football in January and still nearly finished best of the rest.

This.

Personally I have found the league stronger compared to last year. We have a far better team this year but not dishing out the same amount of pumpings despite winning 33 domestic games in a row

:lol:

No sure how that scans based on the tables @capt_oats posted above.

Your GD at this point is ~21 better over 33 games so it feels unlikely that the opposition have proved stronger.

On goals scored, you and SEVCO have basically flipped places in these 2 seasons, which probably equates to the better attackers you have.

But the quality of the football on show outside of the top teams in the league has been dismal imo.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

No sure how that scans based on the tables @capt_oats posted above.

Your GD at this point is ~21 better over 33 games so it feels unlikely that the opposition have proved stronger.

On goals scored, you and SEVCO have basically flipped places in these 2 seasons, which probably equates to the better attackers you have.

But the quality of the football on show outside of the top teams in the league has been dismal imo.

Can only go off personal experience but off the top of my head Livi gave us 2 hard games. We have scraped wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. Even Dundee were up for it against us at CP. There’s been very little between a few games we have had with Hearts this season. Hibs were tough enough too at times.
Last season we were shite and it made it more infuriating that what we were up against was pretty terrible opposition. If we were like what we were last season this season Hearts would be properly fighting us for second imo.