Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 hours ago, tree house tam said:

And then losing obviously. Along with Davidson changing it by putting wingers as full backs and throwing some big lads up front.

Tam, I’m so desperate to see some actual football I’m off to Kilmarnock this evening. Away end obviously. Wearing our maroon away shirt from a few seasons back.

3 hours ago, andrewh said:

Tam, I’m so desperate to see some actual football I’m off to Kilmarnock this evening. Away end obviously. Wearing our maroon away shirt from a few seasons back.

Oaft. I'd like to say you're scouting the opposition for the play offs but with the hobbit in charge we'll probably f**k that right up as well.

Will Davidson leave out the shitebags on Saturday, or suddenly expect them to find the sort of heart required? 
MacPherson, Crawford and Butterfield midfield three behind Cifiti. Heard it here first

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:
On 21/04/2022 at 08:12, Radford said:
Will Davidson leave out the shitebags on Saturday, or suddenly expect them to find the sort of heart required? 

MacPherson, Crawford and Butterfield midfield three behind Cifiti. Heard it here first

I would genuinely lose my shit if that happens.

I expect to lose my shit around 2pm tomorrow when the team is announced.

Seems a bizarre twist of circumstances that Ali Crawford is now just about our second central midfielder on the team sheet after Murray.

I’d probably pick him ahead of Butterfield, Hallberg and MacPherson right now.  Do wonder what Liam Craig’s done wrong to drop so far out the picture.  Obviously past his best, but he’d still do a job as a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defence, especially in a relegation battle.  For the opening 20 minutes or so it felt like it was Murray Davidson v Dundee’s midfield. 

Hallberg looked great in his first few matches, and obviously has a bit of ability on the ball, but flatters to deceive, and we seem to carry him a lot, which is no use for a central midfielder. 

Someone needs to have a word in Cammy’s ear that he’s not hitting any more free kicks for us.

Seems a bizarre twist of circumstances that Ali Crawford is now just about our second central midfielder on the team sheet after Murray.
I’d probably pick him ahead of Butterfield, Hallberg and MacPherson right now.  Do wonder what Liam Craig’s done wrong to drop so far out the picture.  Obviously past his best, but he’d still do a job as a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defence, especially in a relegation battle.  For the opening 20 minutes or so it felt like it was Murray Davidson v Dundee’s midfield. 
Hallberg looked great in his first few matches, and obviously has a bit of ability on the ball, but flatters to deceive, and we seem to carry him a lot, which is no use for a central midfielder. 
Someone needs to have a word in Cammy’s ear that he’s not hitting any more free kicks for us.

Aye, Crawford has been a different player since Kelty. Suspect he’s been given a quiet word, and also Hallberg / muzz let him play a bit more forward which is suiting him.

Craig I suspect has just hit that point where his legs have gone. I’m more interested in where MOH has gone.

Cammy Macpherson though, f**k me he was grim today. Was like we went down to 10 when he came on, that free kick summed it up after the tension on waiting for it to be hit.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Do wonder what Liam Craig’s done wrong to drop so far out the picture.  Obviously past his best, but he’d still do a job as a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defence, especially in a relegation battle.  

I don't, because I saw his last ten or so appearances for us. 

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Hallberg seems to be following the pattern of having the life sucked out of him once he's been properly indoctrinated into the non-preferred system.

Massive advocate for parting ways with this management in the summer. Unlikely to happen but a man can dream…

Slowly beginning to feel centre half is Rooney’s best position - looked lost and uninterested in the first half, but was a different player in the second. 

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

We've got no idea how to even construct an attack. There's no rhythm or flow to the side at all. We basically scored by accident yesterday. Utter garbage.

This bothered me in the first half as well. Pass across the back continually until forced to go long.

It needed a central defender to drive on with the ball to commit an opponent, or a ball driven into strikers feet for supporting midfielders to feed off, midfielders to get on the ball, or Rooney to not stand still looking for the long diagonal and instead move to create an angle to get on the ball to drive forward.

The lack of ideas to build attack was dreadful for the first 35 minutes.

Once we upped the tempo we were much better instead of slowing everything down to allow Dundee to set up behind the ball. Sang added a lot more drive going forward, as did Rooney. For once I think Callum made a change that improved us at ht yesterday. 

Callum Hendry has been on fire lately but the absolute lack of getting the ball into him yesterday was ridiculous, especially first half, against a very suspect defence.

Massive advocate for parting ways with this management in the summer. Unlikely to happen but a man can dream…
Slowly beginning to feel centre half is Rooney’s best position - looked lost and uninterested in the first half, but was a different player in the second. 

Interesting point about Rooney, I did think he linked well with Sang at half time. But the team seemed to forget about Rooney on the wing until about the 30 minute mark.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Interesting point about Rooney, I did think he linked well with Sang at half time. But the team seemed to forget about Rooney on the wing until about the 30 minute mark.

Maybe a bit of recency bias involved, but think that’s where he’s played in the games he’s stood out. Really wasn’t impressed with Rooney first half yesterday, as much as I adore him. Thought Sang was decent yesterday and actually gave us an out ball on the right hand side. Quality on the crosses left a bit to be desired but think he deserves a run in the team 

It's not so much that Rooney needs to play at CB, as much as Saints need Rooney to play at CB. Certainly if we are trying to force a game.

That was at least one piece of the puzzle put into place yesterday, 40-odd games into the season. That it's taken that long is because Davidson so rarely influences a game positively with a substitution or change. 

Nobody can have enjoyed our brand of football yesterday.