Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

You could play any of our full backs and the difference is negligible. None of them offer anything worthwhile in attack and none of them have any pace.

5, at best, average top flight full backs and 2 of them are crocks who cant string any games together before being ruled out for weeks again.

You maybe get away with one on each flank if the wingers give you pace and quality but outside Wright we dont seem to have that either. Lets hope the new guy can offer it too.

The problem is exacerbated on the left with Carey drifting and going narrow at times. 

I get what he's trying to do and wasn't doing it all the time but all that does is leaves Robinson isolated wide. He then knows he doesn't have the ability/pace to beat the man so just looks to retain possession. Especially when in possession 40+ yards from goal. That just results in a safe pass to Considine and slowing everything down. 

What we really need (IMO) is Carey staying wide and attempting to be the main threat as while he hasn't shown it enough he is the one more likely to be able to create something with beating a man etc than Gallagher or Robertson. The full back should just offer support or overlapping at the right time if a full back can be isolated. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

11 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What we really need (IMO) is Carey staying wide and attempting to be the main threat

I read that line and instantly thought of a dreich Boxing Day fixture between Ross County vs Hibs ten years ago, when centre-mid Stuart Kettlewell gave Carey a bollocking for constantly coming infield from the left. Carey was the only one in the XI able to provide a threat from wide, in an otherwise terrible team. 

50 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I read that line and instantly thought of a dreich Boxing Day fixture between Ross County vs Hibs ten years ago, when centre-mid Stuart Kettlewell gave Carey a bollocking for constantly coming infield from the left. Carey was the only one in the XI able to provide a threat from wide, in an otherwise terrible team. 

For most of the second half Carey was to be found standing roughly where you’d expect your centre forward to be and offering no help to Robinson. The first goal came from pretty much the first time in the second half that Carey linked with Robinson and made some progress on the wing.

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

I thought Carey was wide enough, it just wasn't nearly high enough up the pitch. Look at those final third touches.

IMG_20230904_131505.thumb.jpg.085a577ad57742448d4c98bb1053b3eb.jpg

Is there a map of places where he should have taken a touch but let it slip under his foot and out of play?

Did Phillips get an injury in build up to the second goal on Saturday?  It looked like he pulled up as he passed the ball out wide. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

On 04/09/2023 at 14:35, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

We’ll get inconsistency with the younger guys,Robinson and McClelland were both good at Parkhead, but not so on Saturday,it’s something Macca is obviously comfortable with,as he’s convinced we’ll get better with a bit of time on the training pitch. 🤞🤞

Totally agree. It's potentially an issue for us having so many young, largely inexperienced players, but when the click, that youth could be a massive advantage. This is where we need the senior players to step up and show some real consistency and mentorship.

If we had 2-3 players in the mould of John Mcquillan or Dave MacKay where you know you get a 7 or 8 out of 10 every week, we'd have the backbone to allow for the ups and downs elsewhere.

I wonder whether the manner of the draw vs Dundee is in a way more valuable than a 0-0 draw or one where we lead at some point. Not only what that gives the youngsters in terms of experience of coming back, but also the confidence that when we do go behind, they know it is possibly to turn a game at 2-0 down into something positive. 

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Playing St Mirren in a behind closed doors game today. 

How long till we play Motherwell and we're on the end of Theo "Closed door goal machine" Bair? 🤷‍♂️

Anyone know the score. I know these games dont matter but always good to know the outcome

Can't read the article in the Courier today about "Fans attached after leaving St Johnstone v Dundee game". 

I do know though a few of the FCU were arrested on Saturday and are awaiting a day in court after whatever happened. Didn't witness any of it myself so can't possibly comment on what actually happened.