Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He's had one window with 50p and a packet of crisps to spend. 

What are you thinking was spent on Sidibeh?

Suspect its a lot more than people think, tbh, seeing as they'd already rejected 3 bids (according to their manager) and had interest from clubs like Blackpool.

Kimpioka was under contract when we signed him too, same as Connor Smith, and i cant any proof from any club involved that no fees were spent?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What are you thinking was spent on Sidibeh?

Suspect its a lot more than people think, tbh, seeing as they'd already rejected 3 bids (according to their manager) and had interest from clubs like Blackpool.

Kimpioka was under contract when we signed him too, same as Connor Smith, and i cant any proof from any club involved that no fees were spent?

I can't see it being very much between the 3 of them. Add ons on the other hand especially for Smith and Sidibeh. Stan Harris made it fairly clear the stuff that went on under the previous regime wasn't going to continue. Cannot see anywhere near that 300k being spent. 

Smith would be leaving Hearts in the summer for nothing anyway and was evidently surplus to requirements. He has no future there and based on what we've seen so far he's shown very little that suggests Hearts were wrong as well!

Likewise with Kimpioka. They wanted rid and we helped them out. 

I suspect based on the starts Sidibeh he's now getting something decent had been spent. I think the fact he didn't go to the English clubs sniffing around is more about them unwilling to meet what was being asked. 

Not really sure any of the three signings have shown much to suggest they'd be worth any fee whatsoever either so I guess any fee is too much. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20240225_173434_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2868b5c7f2a5bb4e5a082cc1b116a9b2.jpg

OYF

Not that I want to be that guy, but you do have to look at Leveins losses in context. Bar the disaster vs Airdrie, all have been vs top 6 sides (Rangers x2, Hearts x2, Celtic, Killie, St Mirren and Dundee). With those Killie, St Mirren and Dundee games being away from home.

It's not great, but if you want to be losing against sides, better that than those around you. 

Funny thing is that people were applying and were interested after both Davidson and Macca were sacked.  But latterly the club decided to talk a guy out of semi-retirement.

11 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

That’s some stat.

So they’ve had 1 game short of a full season between them, with 35 points, would that normally be enough to survive?

Anything below 32 is a death sentence, anything above depends on other teams but gives you a chance of finishing 2nd bottom. Worst tally to finish 10th was 33 in 05/06, which was also the tally for 9th.

ICT finished 12th on 37pts in 08/09, which i think is the highest tallynfor 12th.

Because I’m already in a shit mood I had a look back at our 17 league goals this season to try and learn something. It wasn’t fun.

Spoiler

V Dundee 2 for Kucheriavi (both open play, one via Carey cross)

V Livi Accidental through ball for Dara Costello

V Killie 2 Clark goals, one via Kane shot rebound, one via Carey free kick 

[Levein era begins]

V Motherwell Clark header from Smith corner, Considine scramble over the line from Carey corner

V Ross County Carey screamer - nice goal!

V Celtic DJ scramble over the line from Carey corner 

V St Mirren Kane rebound from his own penalty

V Motherwell own goal via Smith free kick

V Hibs Carey finish after Hibs defender passed it right to him

V Killie Clark header from Smith free kick

V Aberdeen Keltjens header from Carey cross

V Motherwell McGowan scramble finish from Smith free kick

V Ross County Kimpioka finish after County defender misses the ball

V Dundee Smith finish from Carey pass

We’ve scored 9 goals from open play, 8 from set pieces

Probably 2 or maybe 3 max you could say came from a nice passing move rather than just someone lumping it in the box or a chronic defensive error. (Carey v Ross County, Keltjens v Aberdeen [debatable], Smith v Dundee)

Carey, who megamind Levein has decided should play as a defensive midfielder, has scored or assisted 8 of them (I’m being kind and counting his corners that resulted in a goal in the first phase)

12 goals since the Levein era began. Only game we’ve scored more than one in since he took over is the very first game before he got the chance to make his mark on the players … total of 5 goals from open play in the Levein era. In 17 matches. 

Think about how much you’d have to pay over the course of a season to see all of this. And with the rotten VAR — which our club, like all the others, waved through without asking any of us — hanging over it all too. Something has to change at this football club. 

Edited by Zamora Fan

32 points feels a long way off just now.

A complete inability to scrape draws in matches against teams above us is also killing us, especially when it looks as though playing for draws is our basic gameplan.

You look at Killie, st Mirren, Dundee away and Hearts at home and feel we should be able to get battling draws in a couple of those fixtures.

Thank f**k Benji produced a bit of quality up in Dingwall, otherwise we’d be looking (even more) desperate right now.

2 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Don’t read this if you’re depressed.

Because I’m already in a shit mood I had a look back at our 17 league goals this season to try and learn something. It wasn’t fun.

Hide contents

[Levein era begins]

V Motherwell Clark header from Smith corner, Considine scramble over the line from Carey corner

Probably 2 or maybe 3 max you could say came from a nice passing move rather than just someone lumping it in the box or a chronic defensive error. (Carey v Ross County, Keltjens v Aberdeen [debatable], Smith v Dundee)

Carey, who megamind Levein has decided should play as a defensive midfielder, has scored or assisted 8 of them (I’m being kind and counting his corners that resulted in a goal in the first phase)

12 goals since the Levein era began. Only game we’ve scored more than one in since he took over is the very first game before he got the chance to make his mark on the players … total of 5 goals from open play in the Levein era. In 17 matches. 

Think about how much you’d have to pay over the course of a season to see all of this. And with the rotten VAR — which our club, like all the others, waved through without asking any of us — hanging over it all too. Something has to change at this football club. 

Regarding the high percentage of our goals from set pieces;  with us now struggling to even get in the opposition final third*, we don’t win many free kicks around the box or even corners it feels, so a main source of the few goals we did score has dried up.

(* apart from the last couple of minutes of desperation when the game is done)

30 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Reveal hidden contents

[Levein era begins]

Jesus f**k that's depressing.

34 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

And Carey and Smiths were from outside the area...

We're an awful football team who are reliant on defensive mistakes both winning us points and stopping others from winning points.

You wonder if the form since the break is simply that catching up with us?

You make your own luck in football, and we arent even giving ourselves the chance to score deflected/scabby goals or benefit from VAR mistakes. 

37 minutes ago, Broughty said:

How did Brechin City always score goals with our management team? 

By being big spenders relative to the competition. Owned by the guy who owned Mackie Motors. They were turning over 20 million a year before he sold the business to Park Group for probably many millions also.

Is the consensus that this squad is rubbish? Probably?

But is it unreasonable to suggest it's still being managed as poorly as it was under MacLean?

Folk are posting evidence of it anyway. Both managers got an initial bounce but their records are now comparable over essentially half-a-season.

Of course the argument will be that managers need time but they need to buy themselves it surely and 2 goals from open play from inside the area (i.e. breaking teams down) isn't doing that. Even that number is generous as the Kimpioka goal comes from a defensive error and the Keltjens one from Roos doing a Superman. There is a case we haven't scored a single goal under this management team from breaking a team down.

NOT A SINGLE ONE.

For me, there needs to be an improvement and very quickly or my patience is going to be fully exhausted.

Actually, who am I kidding, it already is.

Compare going down under Sturrock to going down under Stark. Look at the bigger picture.

Levein was bored at home again so thought he may as well have a play at shop. And this is the result.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20240225_173434_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2868b5c7f2a5bb4e5a082cc1b116a9b2.jpg

OYF

Not a defence of Levein, but have to acknowledge that three of MacLean's defeats in there were away to Stenhousemuir and at home to Ayr & Stirling while his only win this season was against Alloa.

It keeps getting mentioned that Kirk is taking all the training, is he just as negative as Levein? Or is he being held back by Leveins instruction.

We’ll likely end up in a similar situation as the Maclean one with Kirk just taking over if the board get fed up, which we all expected initially, the players might be well scunnered with him by that point though.