Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

32 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I presume the lad who trained with us in Austria and returned to Scotland with the squad won't be signing now we've signed Watt?

Making that assumption after him not being mentioned in being involved tonight.

Seems that way. Tbf we don't need another striker now, not ahead of other positions. 

This is becoming a habit, but I agree with RandomGuy. That's us got 3 senior strikers - all of whom have every right to expect a start - and two young players itching for a chance, as well as 16 year old Jon Robertson in the squad. I think we're well covered up top. Njo-Lea looked ok but I think it would be a waste of money bringing in another forward.

Eric Nicholson reckons we've got another 2 or 3 to come. Lyness, Driver/Russell and a centre mid would make most sense.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

This is becoming a habit, but I agree with RandomGuy. That's us got 3 senior strikers - all of whom have every right to expect a start - and two young players itching for a chance, as well as 16 year old Jon Robertson in the squad. I think we're well covered up top. Njo-Lea looked ok but I think it would be a waste of money bringing in another forward.

Eric Nicholson reckons we've got another 2 or 3 to come. Lyness, Driver/Russell and a centre mid would make most sense.

Think it'll be a "one or the other" scenario with Russell and Driver? 

A summer of Lyness, Tansey, Wright, Driver and Watt sounds decent enough, and would be far better than what I expected a few month or so ago. 

Depends on the plans for next year. Looking like a return to 4-5-1 and if that's the case 3 senior strikers plus Hendry/Robertson is more than enough.

However if we are playing 3-5-2 I'd like another. Our issue second half of last season was only having one option up front on the bench who was complete mince. That said, I think all three senior are far better than Johnston.

Having had both Watt and Driver at Hearts i'd be happier signing Driver. While there is no question Watt is a very talented football player there is a reason he never lasts long anywhere. Maybe Tommy Wright will be the man to finally get the most out of him but i have my doubts.

On the other hand i remember being disappointed  when Driver left Hearts, he was a good player at Tynecastle and i wouldn't be surprised if he does well in Perth.

4 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Depends on the plans for next year. Looking like a return to 4-5-1 and if that's the case 3 senior strikers plus Hendry/Robertson is more than enough.

However if we are playing 3-5-2 I'd like another. Our issue second half of last season was only having one option up front on the bench who was complete mince. That said, I think all three senior are far better than Johnston.

I think you're looking at McMillan playing as a front two no matter what, he's not a lone frontman. Whether that's Kane or Watt is anyone/s guess. I think I alluded to it on WAP, but if we go two up top it's got to be a 3-5-2 to get the best out of Scougall, otherwise we're playing him wide again. Would depend on whether the infamous Wright diamond appears again and we simply as to Davidson to take on teams entire midfields himself, which to be honest he's done before. I think it depends on the left back situation, but in an ideal scenario this is the year Aaron Comrie goes out on loan to see if he's got what it takes. Originally it looked promising, but injury and being played out of position has fucked his confidence. Hopefully he's not a lost cause despite what @Radford thinks, cause I see some potential. He's also third choice RB in my head right now behind Foster (who looked good against Aberdeen) and Shaughnessey, maybe even Wright at RWB.

Comrie looked a bit brighter on Sunday tbf, looked quicker than I remember. Think he's in a situation where he'll need a run of games to truly acclimatise, so he'll probably look quite poor if he's just getting two or three games in a row at a time. 

I think we've got a genuine ability to change things with a single sub, if we get Driver, which can only be a good thing.

Anyone at the match? 

Be good to hear which trialist is starting at left back, how Gordon/Kerr and McMillan/Watt get on as partnerships, and how the midfield is set up. 

Unofficial Twitter says Mark Russell is the starting left back. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Does Watt still do his film reviews?

Think he's moved onto games now? 

Watt to Watch, Google it. 

Promising that both strikers have scored. 

Guy on WAP reckons Watt has set up both goals, while the official twitter reports he's just had a volley spectacularly saved. 

So that's one goal, two assists, and almost a wonder goal, in his first thirty minutes in almost a year.. 

I hope he doesn't lose the head.