Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Folk complaining about our signing policy? Would you rather we went down the  Dundee route? Tommy has set out his plans and told everyone what he's going to do. We had success in the team that came up and stayed up and when some had to retire he changed the kind of players we were targeting, we were being over run by younger fitter players, we now have the younger fitter players. We aren't as solid imo but it takes time, especially when we are competing against bigger budgets, the only way we can do this is by having more youth and 5 or 6 top class players. I think we have that and adding a couple more will make all the difference. Stop fucking moaning and back the team.

Theres a big gulf between the Dundee signing policy and St Johnstone. I personally don't think singing a player in the forward area from abroad is any greater risk than a failed league 1 striker. Nobody is asking for us to go and sign 7 or 8 players from abroad but the fact is the standard of player we can pick up from England for the amount we can pay is not good value. We rely on Scottish players who want back up the road or players who want a fresh challenge who have failed for whatever reason. 

Tommy has done well to get some real quality in the squad in Kennedy, Wright, Mikey and Swanson and benefited from the development of a few good young players. However you can't deny the depth in defence and the quality in attack isn't an issue and starting the season with this size of squad has undoubtedly put him under pressure to get bodies in.

Edited by Broon_100

The signing policy itself is what it is. The idea of the odd foreign player is alluring but as long as players are good, I don't mind where they come from.

I wouldn't be as harsh as @Broon_100 in an assessment of recent business, although that's not to say I really disagree! The midfield is fine. We are maybe missing a natural DCM and a natural ACM but if you can't find the quality of Morris or Millar, you are maybe better to roll along with Craig there (and a pathway for McCann and McClean) than bring in a substandard player like Goss. We saw with Scougall that it can be difficult to accommodate an ACM at a team like Saints.

We don't have much quality in attack but I've always been prepared to wait on that front, although that was when Kane was fit, rather than relying on Hendry and McMillan. Seeing Jones on trial was a bit concerning as he looked well off what I was hoping for/expecting. The summer really hinges on getting Stevie May on a favourable deal, despite... 

... the alarming issue at the moment being the defence. If the manager is/was only looking for cover then the idea of waiting for the right player isn't so important. It's not exactly any port in a storm but you get the player(s) you need in, especially when we weren't facing a busy summer. TW himself said he expected the left back/defender in for pre-season, then it was for Ireland, then it was before the end of that trip... Now we play Montrose on Tuesday to kick off 4 games in 12 days with just Foster, Tanser, Kerr and Duffy available.

Does anyone not think that's quite a poor situation for a stable club like Saints to find themselves in? Folk don't need to be apologists for everything the club does. It's not being reactionary or unreasonable to look at things in a rational manner and come to what might be considered a negative conclusion. Doing the opposite to that just facilitates the malaise that is partly to blame for the situation arriving in the first place.

In short, get a fucking defender signed for Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I know they’re a much smaller club than us and haven’t won anything on colour television, but Falkirk have only managed three subs today.

They had to build a whole squad. How many players were under contract for this season? And they lost one (Paton) to Dunfermline. 

We needed three signings before the games started: a goalkeeper and two defenders. He managed to get two done in May so has had approaching two months to fill one position, whilst also assessing striker options. 

We'll fill the bench with Northcott, Ballantyne etc... but the fact there won't be defensive cover (and there are none in the reserves, TW confirmed) is embarrassing. Saying we have a couple of injuries doesn't make it any less so. 

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I know they’re a much smaller club than us and haven’t won anything on colour television, but Falkirk have only managed three subs today.

They, like Dumbarton, had to sign entire squads this Summer. The situations aren't comparable IMO.

The defence situation is the only thing that isn't ideal, you can't really blame Tommy for waiting for decent cover thinking we have enough capable defenders at the minute to get by, then for them all to get injured pre season, that's just unlucky. I'm more worried that he thinks Ando is still capable,  2 fucking seasons after him being a total bomb scare.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

The defence situation is the only thing that isn't ideal, you can't really blame Tommy for waiting for decent cover thinking we have enough capable defenders at the minute to get by, then for them all to get injured pre season, that's just unlucky. I'm more worried that he thinks Ando is still capable,  2 fucking seasons after him being a total bomb scare.

When did the Shaughnessy contract talks officially end?

I'm guessing January time, which meant we only had Foster, Kerr, Gordon, Anderson and Tanser signed up. 

The season starts in 3 days, and in those six months, we've signed one right back. I'm more than happy to put as much blame on TW as anyone about the defensive situation tbh.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

When did the Shaughnessy contract talks officially end?

I'm guessing January time, which meant we only had Foster, Kerr, Gordon, Anderson and Tanser signed up. 

The season starts in 3 days, and in those six months, we've signed one right back. I'm more than happy to put as much blame on TW as anyone about the defensive situation tbh.

Of course it's not ideal, just don't think it's as big a deal as some make out. Back 3 of Foster, Kerr and Tanser with Liam sitting in front, then an attacking 6, we will score more than you type of side. Who gives a f**k about the diddy cup anyway?

The idea that decent cover hasn't been available up until now isn't right though. If he does sign someone before Tuesday, is that just lucky that the right player has become available? Or has he panicked and signed someone that could well not be up to the standard of players he has turned down?

Squad cover signings should be made so they are in place when you might need them. If you are fortunate enough to have those bases covered then you can wait for quality to improve the team. 

Saints only have themselves to blame here, it's not to do with luck. 

And the Anderson point is fair enough. I think he's looked alright in the friendlies but the manager decided a year ago he wasn't good enough to be starting and he's not going to be a better player a year down the line. But then TW has shown little interest in signing another centre back. Gravenberch looked like he'd have been a good signing but we only seem interested in (cheap) cover for the defence. 

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

But then TW has shown little interest in signing another centre back. Gravenberch looked like he'd have been a good signing but we only seem interested in (cheap) cover for the defence. 

Declan Gallagher, if that rumour was true, was surely a signing to go into the first team long term? 

Edited by RandomGuy.

I agree lets not hire cover for the sake of it and tie up more money. 

Tommy's stated his number 1 priority before the season ended was a striker.

The next was a Centre back (as Joe was leaving.)

Third was a left back.

It may not sound like it but I am trying  to be patient but we need them sooner rather than later especially with our injuries. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Declan Gallagher, if that rumour was true, was surely a signing to go into the first team long term? 

I did mean in the summer but having just checked, he did cite a centre back when talking about his plans. He obviously brought Gravenberch in on trial too. 

Even with the injuries, I'm only expecting us to sign one defender though. 

I’m not worried yet but we definitely need to look at our signing policy and make some changes. At the moment I get the feeling we’re probably working on a deal for May and it wouldn’t surprise me if Joe ends up signing on again but the fact TW came out at the end of the season and said he had been working on this window for months then it’s clear his main targets are gone.

The defensive situation needs sorted ASAP. Fully fit I’m happy with the back four Foster, Kerr, Gordon and Tanser but Duffy doesn’t fill me with confidence ATM but willing to give him time and Ando is finished at this level. Great servant and great guy but theirs no time for sentiment. I’d happily have him as 4th choice but he should be nowhere near the starting XI on a regular basis.

I’ll give TW the benefit of the doubt as theirs still 6 weeks of the window left but i expected us to be in a better position than we are going into our first competitive game.

As an after thought I hope we use Loan signings better than we have in recent years. If we need to fill the squad out a bit then it should be a market we are looking at.

29 minutes ago, Radford said:

I did mean in the summer but having just checked, he did cite a centre back when talking about his plans. He obviously brought Gravenberch in on trial too. 

Even with the injuries, I'm only expecting us to sign one defender though. 

I'd be worried if we only sign one. I know Foster is still performing well but he'll be 35 next season, and Anderson has dropped off at a younger age, so I'm always worried he loses his ability.

Worst case scenario. Over the course of the season Foster and Anderson decline beyond a point of usefulness, Kerr gets sold next Summer/January, and Duffy isn't up to it. Means our defence would be Gordon and Tanser, and thats a huge amount of work for one window

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Scott Tanser is on the suspension list for the League Cup as he picked up two bookings in last season's competition, the last of which was against Celtic! 

I hate questioning you as I'm always wrong and look like a fanny, but are you certain? 

I couldn't find him on it...

screencapture-scottishfa-co-uk-media-5374-los01-11-july-2019-final-version-pdf-2019-07-13-17_16_59.thumb.png.33d5a9e1ca1c7c90c9d1f4144ba2790d.png