Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Bit surprised by a lot of the worry and negativity from a few Saints fans here.

I'm not saying all will be well, who knows? But we've often had to play the waiting game and signed players late in the window.  Not ideal in terms of the start of the league cup campaign, and would be great if everything was in place well in advance. Unfortunately that's not the way it generally works for us, as we might not be a player's first choice, and are possibly outmuscled financially in a lot of situations.

We also usually keep our cards close to the chest in terms of who we're after until it's done, so no announcements is a long way from nothing happening.  We should be used to it by now.

Just think how excited we will be when we unveil the Kane Hemings and Stevie May double signing in a month's time.

We've literally tried him everywhere at the front end of the pitch. His first touch has gone to shit and the only goal he scored from open play was literally rolled on to a plate for him. I'm not certain it's a confidence thing either as he took several important penalties and put them away no problem.

To be fair, May never had much of a first touch anyway, was always a bit of a flaw about him. What he was good at was shrugging a player aside long enough to get a shot away from anywhere. I suspect if he rejoins, Wright will be telling him to shoot from all angles and let’s face it Kane and Watt didn’t do enough of that last year.

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

To be fair, May never had much of a first touch anyway, was always a bit of a flaw about him. What he was good at was shrugging a player aside long enough to get a shot away from anywhere. I suspect if he rejoins, Wright will be telling him to shoot from all angles and let’s face it Kane and Watt didn’t do enough of that last year.

Wherever he goes I hope he does well. Loan or permanent.

24 minutes ago, Widge said:

Watt used to piss me off with his unwillingness to shoot. He seemed to barrell his way into positions to do so fairly regularly, but never seemed to attempt an effort.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Bit surprised by a lot of the worry and negativity from a few Saints fans here.

I was relaxed. Bit disappointed to lose Shaughnessy and Easton (when the manager wanted to keep them) but we had a good number signed up and the manager set out his plans nice and early; he wanted a goalkeeper, two or three defenders and a striker. 

We got two deals done very early (even if it took ages to announce them) and even though I wasn't blown away by Parish and Duffy, accepted the signings for what they were, that being cover players. The manager said he should have the left back in for the start of pre-season but might have to wait for a striker. That was fine I thought as we saw last year we were rewarded for holding on for Kennedy and Watt. 

The players regrouped for pre-season and although there was no left back, the manager admitted he knew he needed to get one in before Ireland. 

We headed across the water with no less than four trialists, all in the positions the manager said he'd been looking to fill and his quote was that the left back should be done within days. My first pang of disappointment was that he said the centre back was with a view to losing a player as we weren't in a position to bring one in at the moment. A clear change from what he'd said previously about wanting one. At this point, he also said our goalkeeper should be signing a new contract within days. We are still waiting... 

The left back and especially centre back did well against Glentoran and on the Friday, the manager said they'd get the chance to impress again at Linfield. On the same day, news broke that Stevie May was availble from Aberdeen and better still, Tommy Wright wanted to bring him back to Saints. 

We improved our performance against Linfield but there was no sign of Garrett or Gravenberch (or the goalkeeper). Never mind, the manager seemed buzzing in his post-match interview and declared the week away a huge success but for a couple of injuries. We had a smaller squad and that wasn't ideal but once this left-sided defender arrived, we'd have enough to see us through. 

We played well for an hour at Morton and again in Inverness but the lack of substitutions in each game was noticeable as the injuries mounted up. Silence from the club though: no trialists, no indication of signings, no new contract for Clark, no movement on Stevie May. 

Saturday saw the start of the usual stories we hear from Saints in the summer about lack of money preventing the left back Garrett from signing. We've heard this before and while it shouldn't be taken too literally, it still is negative vibe for the club/manager to give off. 

And here we are. We play our first competitive game tomorrow with potentially just 13 players available, we have no defensive cover and arguably the most popular player to represent the club in living memory could be signing for our biggest (iT's nOT a deRbY) rivals. 

I'm surprised you aren't less surprised. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think that's the overriding feeling a lot of our fans have this summer. Even by our somewhat low standards, this has been about as vanilla a pre-season as I can remember. The one positive blip was the link to Stevie May which might yet come to nothing. We've made 2 signings - announced on the same day and both are back up players - and released the kit on the same day. The club haven't really done anything to promote season tickets and Wright has basically been in hiding since the end of last season, with the odd Saints TV interview thrown in.

If May does end up at Dundee, I think the bulk of our fans will really turn. There's a kind of disquiet among the support already but that has the potential to really go into overdrive. Some clowns are questioning subs in friendlies and moaning about results already on the banter page. An echo chamber but I think it does kind of reflect a growing section in our support. Its crazy but familiarity breeds contempt.

Edit: as if to back up my first paragraph, we're having to rely on the manager of our rivals to provide us with an update on what's happening with Stevie May.  Would you happen to have a link to that press conference Ludo? I'm guessing it's behind a paywall? 

The Stevie May chat starts at 6:12.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The Stevie May chat starts at 6:12.

St Johnstone FC on the wall behind him, becomes visible when hes talking about May. 

It's a sign IMO.

I assume this injury list is the footballing God of injuries finally taking his revenge for us saving Pawletts career.