Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think that's the overriding feeling a lot of our fans have this summer. Even by our somewhat low standards, this has been about as vanilla a pre-season as I can remember. The one positive blip was the link to Stevie May which might yet come to nothing. We've made 2 signings - announced on the same day and both are back up players - and released the kit on the same day. The club haven't really done anything to promote season tickets and Wright has basically been in hiding since the end of last season, with the odd Saints TV interview thrown in.

If May does end up at Dundee, I think the bulk of our fans will really turn. There's a kind of disquiet among the support already but that has the potential to really go into overdrive. Some clowns are questioning subs in friendlies and moaning about results already on the banter page. An echo chamber but I think it does kind of reflect a growing section in our support. Its crazy but familiarity breeds contempt.

Edit: as if to back up my first paragraph, we're having to rely on the manager of our rivals to provide us with an update on what's happening with Stevie May.  Would you happen to have a link to that press conference Ludo? I'm guessing it's behind a paywall? 

Yeah, unfortunately. There's usually a text based version up soon after. This youtube channel uploads our pre-match interviews on occasion as well, but it's not up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmLD9lNGiRsfoZLDKRmRhYQ/videos

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How would you expect me to react?

I'll be gutted if he joins Dundee, but at the same time, if we've failed to sign him permanently because Aberdeen want a loan deal, that's something I'd accept without too much criticism of the club.

Are you not better off getting him on loan for a year, pulling the finances together to sign him if it goes well or being able to send him back to us if he flops?

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:
12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
If it comes to finances, you'll get him. We'll be offering him a lower wage.
I cant see any plausible way we get him tbh.

You talk utter tosh

Its obviously just my opinion, but it seems fairly established Dundee can pay higher wages. 

So theyll either offer more on a permanent deal, or theyll pay a percentage of his loan, and he'll still be getting his Aberdeen wage which will be higher than we can offer.

That's just where my logic takes me. If you can tell me differently I'll happily change that opinion, as you're far more ITK than me.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Are you not better off getting him on loan for a year, pulling the finances together to sign him if it goes well or being able to send him back to us if he flops?

If he does well you'll either take him back in January, or raise your asking price/he'll up his wage demands. 

If we dont sign him permanently this Summer I cant see it happening at all.

I'm against loan signings if we're unlikely to sign the player at the end, we seem to constantly spend Summer windows hunting down a striker, we need someone who'll score goals and remain for longer than a year.

Again, just an opinion that might be miles out.

Its obviously just my opinion, but it seems fairly established Dundee can pay higher wages. 
So theyll either offer more on a permanent deal, or theyll pay a percentage of his loan, and he'll still be getting his Aberdeen wage which will be higher than we can offer.
That's just where my logic takes me. If you can tell me differently I'll happily change that opinion, as you're far more ITK than me.
Saints pay more than you think and can match Dundee , Dundee United etc should they feel it merits it. Guess we will need to see if he opts for championship football or top league football....

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Saints pay more than you think and can match Dundee , Dundee United etc should they feel it merits it. Guess we will need to see if he opts for championship football or top league football....

soooo... hes coming home?!?!

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd rather it was a permanent deal. Loan deals usually involve recall options and the last thing we need is losing our top goalscorer in January. Not to say he'd automatically be a success at Saints, but I can just see us fast forwarding to January, sitting 4th with May on 10 goals and then losing him if he ended up signing a loan deal.

If it comes to finances, you'll get him. We'll be offering him a lower wage.
I cant see any plausible way we get him tbh.

Right you’re going on ignore for the next week, or until May makes up his mind. You’ve become insufferable! [emoji23]

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

If he does well you'll either take him back in January, or raise your asking price/he'll up his wage demands. 

If we dont sign him permanently this Summer I cant see it happening at all.

I'm against loan signings if we're unlikely to sign the player at the end, we seem to constantly spend Summer windows hunting down a striker, we need someone who'll score goals and remain for longer than a year.

Again, just an opinion that might be miles out.

We've agreed a fee for Greg Leigh if the loan goes well. I can't see that being out of the realms of possibility for a departing player.

We could take him back in January but by that point we could already be in a good place with the squad we've got. IF we can't afford to keep May on the bench at the moment, I can't see that changing in the early part of next year. We run a fairly tight ship which is why you'll see a Scott Wright going out on loan when he would have been handy to have in our squad after the January Window.

Loans are shite, I agree with you there but we got the benefit of Ryan Christie for 18 months and had an unlikely permanent deal agreed until Lawell pulled it very late in the day.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I'd rather it was a permanent deal. Loan deals usually involve recall options and the last thing we need is losing our top goalscorer in January. Not to say he'd automatically be a success at Saints, but I can just see us fast forwarding to January, sitting 4th with May on 10 goals and then losing him if he ended up signing a loan deal.

Flip side you could spend a limited budget on a player who hasn't done too well over the past two years.

I was delighted when we signed him and thought he was going to be brilliant. He works hard but I don't think he is up to it anymore. I'd love to be wrong.

Just now, Widge said:

Right you’re going on ignore for the next week, or until May makes up his mind. You’ve become insufferable! emoji23.png

I wish I could ignore myself tbh 😂

Just now, Merkland Red said:

We've agreed a fee for Greg Leigh if the loan goes well. I can't see that being out of the realms of possibility for a departing player.

We could take him back in January but by that point we could already be in a good place with the squad we've got. IF we can't afford to keep May on the bench at the moment, I can't see that changing in the early part of next year. We run a fairly tight ship which is why you'll see a Scott Wright going out on loan when he would have been handy to have in our squad after the January Window.

Loans are shite, I agree with you there but we got the benefit of Ryan Christie for 18 months and had an unlikely permanent deal agreed until Lawell pulled it very late in the day.

I just cant see an acceptable fee the two clubs would agree on, if it was a loan deal with a future fee. We'd go low, while Aberdeen would want a middling figure incase he caught fire.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I just cant see an acceptable fee the two clubs would agree on, if it was a loan deal with a future fee. We'd go low, while Aberdeen would want a middling figure incase he caught fire.

Yeah, you could be right there. If he did well and that's the difference between a cup run/top 6th than bottom 6 it could be a wise move though.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Flip side you could spend a limited budget on a player who hasn't done too well over the past two years.

I was delighted when we signed him and thought he was going to be brilliant. He works hard but I don't think he is up to it anymore. I'd love to be wrong.

You’re probably right to be fair.  I’d be pinning hopes on Wright being able to recapture some of his old magic at Saints. I think he’d be played in a slightly different position to where he’s generally played at Aberdeen and I think a work horse like Kane beside him might free him up to play more through the middle and score goals. 

I certainly wouldn’t expect 27 goals in a season from May but I don’t think double figures is unreasonable to expect from him and I reckon he’d manage that in the right team. Whenever I’ve seen him I’ve thought he’s lost something from his game but I’m hoping that’s at least in part  down to confidence. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You’re probably right to be fair.  I’d be pinning hopes on Wright being able to recapture some of his old magic at Saints. I think he’d be played in a slightly different position to where he’s generally played at Aberdeen and I think a work horse like Kane beside him might free him up to play more through the middle and score goals. 

I certainly wouldn’t expect 27 goals in a season from May but I don’t think double figures is unreasonable to expect from him and I reckon he’d manage that in the right team. Whenever I’ve seen him I’ve thought he’s lost something from his game but I’m hoping that’s at least in part  down to confidence. 

We've literally tried him everywhere at the front end of the pitch. His first touch has gone to shit and the only goal he scored from open play was literally rolled on to a plate for him. I'm not certain it's a confidence thing either as he took several important penalties and put them away no problem.

To be fair, I'd much rather get Scott Wright permanently than any Stevie May deal. Wright just seems to be lacking consistency which is natural for a 21 year old that has been deployed just off the striker/winger throughout his career. If he can add even 10% more to his consistency levels, he'll be a very good player for any side in Scotland.

44 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Guess we will need to see if he opts for championship football or top league football....

Does this mean we've also had a bid accepted and it's now in the players hands?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does this mean we've also had a bid accepted and it's now in the players hands?

That’s how I took it. Hopefully we’ll hear one way or the other soon.