Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Not unhappy. The way it’s been we were always going to only add one or two at most players to the first eleven.  We’re obviously holding out for the striker we want, hopefully May, and apart from that I wouldn’t expect too much else. 

Very positive that Swanson is looking like the player we all know he can be.

Obviously Gordon and Clark being injured is a bit of a shiter, but nothing we can do about that. 

If we go in to the first league game with our striking options I’d be moderately concerned, but happy enough with how things are going other than that. We should have more than enough to get through our group. 

What’s  your thoughts? 

Starting to get a little bit concerned, I wish the club would let the fans know what’s happening. Is Clark’s injury bad? What’s happening with his contract that was going to be done a fortnight ago? We’re very very light at the back and ando is abysmal so that’s a worry 

I agree with Ali. I’d like another centre back as well, hence why I’m holding out hope that Shaughnessy comes back to us. 3 centre backs aren’t enough for a season, especially when one might not be up to the required level. If we manage to get May or a striker of equivalent quality I’ll be satisfied with the window. A bit boring compared to last summer but I saw enough on Tuesday to see the potential this team has, especially as we were missing 4 or 5 starters for most of all of the match. 

I'm not overly concerned. That game tonight was a fitness and do not get injured exercise. Our striking options are lacking but the manager knows this and is working on bringing someone in (Steven MacLean plz). 

On another note that's my first game in approx 18 months. How nice to see my beloved Saints again!

Positives:

• Parish is vocal.
  • Tanser looks confident and has won both the penalties this week.

Negatives:

• Duffy looks like he has a lot to learn.
  • Despite encouraging me against the Irish sides, McMillan was dreadful. Really bad.
  • Hendry wasn't much better. Not sure we can rely on either.
  • McCann and McClean didn't really take their chance to nab a spot on Tuesday night.

There’s an interview with Wright on Saints Tv and he seems rather angry. Anderson went off injured tonight - seems to be a sore achilles and he’s a doubt for Tuesday night. It doesn’t sound like any of the other injured players are going to be available for Tuesday night either. 

Anyone with Saints TV should go to his Linfield post match interview and check the difference in his demeanour in the space of a week. I know one interview was on the back of a decent victory and the other a poor defeat but what a difference 6 days makes.  

11 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Dicky dyke and Templar incoming 

I was not going to comment but cannot say nothing.

I would have played my best team and gave them the game time. Is the reason he was worried about more injuries. Cannot understand why he took Davidson, O'Halloran and Foster and did not give them game time as I expect all three to start on Tuesday. Even 15-20 minutes would have been something. I know they are professionals (and getting paid) but it is a bit soul destroying and a long way to travel for some (I think O'Halloran is from Glasgow) and not get on

Edited by Templar

Never nice to lose games but the result last night isn't important. Inverness only really became the better team when they brought on the fresh legs after their second goal, with Saints reluctant to make changes and legs tiring. In a competive match, for example, he brings Foster on at half-time, rather than shifting McCann to right back and bringing McClean in. 

I think anyone would have been happy with how we passed the ball for an hour but the lack of a compotent striker was crippling, McMillan was that bad. I don't know who he plays at Montrose as Hendry didn't impress either and was poor on Tuesday.

Nice to get a different view of the game from pitch level. Parish was very vocal, in a positive way, Anderson likewise, although maybe not so positive. I don't imagine he's lasted 14 seasons at the club if managers don't see some benefit in it though. Duffy was fair copping it. Good movement and passing in midfield but, as said, McMillan just wasn't cutting it.

Another ground ticked off as well. 

The finances are there for all to see, the club has loadsamoney. 

We heard last summer there was no budget then signed Watt, Kennedy, Nydam, Callachan and Swanson. Folk will say it's just an excuse TW gives to players when he doesn't want them and the evidence is there.

The chairman said in the last accounts that all the major infrastructure projects were finished so there shouldn't be any huge outlays and we finished a place higher and had two cup games against Celtic last season. 

Far more players/wages have gone out than come in as well in the last 12 monfhs:

Permanent

In
Michael O'Halloran
Elliot Parish
Wallace Duffy

Out
Blair Alston
Joe Shaughnessy
Brian Easton
Tony Watt
Mark Hurst
Greg Hurst
Stefan Scougall

Loans

In/Out
Cammy Bell
Sean Goss
Niall Keown

Out/In
Steven Anderson
David McMillan
Kyle McClean
Ali McCann

Returns
Callum Hendry

Ended
Tristan Nydam
Conor Mitchell

Money could be an issue in getting Stevie May but it shouldn't have prevented us not finding ourselves with 4 fit defenders ahead of a group stage of 4 games in 12 days. That's poor.

Edited by Radford

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Article in the Sun today says we're after Tyler Garratt, who has been training with you. Is he any good? We are completely without a left back at the minute.

He only got 45 minutes against Glentoran. He didn't stand out like the trialist centre back did but was alright. 

We are just looking for cover really but the manager/chairman obviously still didn't fancy him enough, whether because of his ability or the wages he wanted.

Everyone knows St Mirren pay bigger wages than us though...

37 minutes ago, Radford said:

He only got 45 minutes against Glentoran. He didn't stand out like the trialist centre back did but was alright. 

We are just looking for cover really but the manager/chairman obviously still didn't fancy him enough, whether because of his ability or the wages he wanted.

Everyone knows St Mirren pay bigger wages than us though...

Yeah, the article mentioned financials but I wasn't taking that too seriously.

Ok, interesting feedback though, cheers.

Have to agree with Radford on this one. The signing policy over recent years has been frustrating from a fans perspective. Renewing contracts that probably shouldn't, signing too many players for the same position, inability to sign a forward and countless panic signings. Tommy is a good manager who gets the best out of players but his lack of creativity in the transfer market and on the pitch are the reason he's still at Saints.

4 hours ago, Templar said:

I was not going to comment but cannot say nothing.

I would have played my best team and gave them the game time. Is the reason he was worried about more injuries. Cannot understand why he took Davidson, O'Halloran and Foster and did not give them game time as I expect all three to start on Tuesday. Even 15-20 minutes would have been something. I know they are professionals (and getting paid) but it is a bit soul destroying and a long way to travel for some (I think O'Halloran is from Glasgow) and not get on

I think he was purely worried about getting more injuries. Squad depth has now been massively highlighted as an issue, which is maybe a good thing. It worries me slightly we seem to be relying on Duffy/McLean/McCann/Hendry so much but I've sort of accepted thats the way of it as a trade off for the assumed wages of MOH/Swanson/Kennedy and new contracts for Clark/Kerr.

Not sure why its taking so long to bring in cover in defence though. Did TW not talk about getting a left back signed before the trip to Ireland? And you'd assume he'd have identified that position as an issue this time last year due to Eastons problems, so you'd hope he had a list of targets in mind before this window opened, same with CH when it became clear Shaughnessy was leaving, and his pursuit of Declan Gallagher shows he was thinking about it, but again it seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front. 

Two months ago I was thinking we'd bring in 3/4 players then focus entirely on getting the best striker we can get, its now under a month until the league season starts, and a week until the Cup starts, and we don't really seem to have moved forwards with any of that at all. Theres a chance we go into a Betfred Cup game without a full bench, which for a top flight side, is embarrassing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

24 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Have to agree with Radford on this one. The signing policy over recent years has been frustrating from a fans perspective. Renewing contracts that probably shouldn't, signing too many players for the same position, inability to sign a forward and countless panic signings. Tommy is a good manager who gets the best out of players but his lack of creativity in the transfer market and on the pitch are the reason he's still at Saints.

I don't disagree with TWs preference to go with players who are experienced in this league/British football, tbh. Its a bit boring but it works, McInnes does similar and also gets great success out it, while other clubs of similar size to us, and to Aberdeen, go for more exotic players and they struggle to adapt.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I appreciate the stability we have rather than the constant transfer merry go round each window that some clubs have. 

It's perhaps not as exciting as speculation about some player from Holland or Serbia etc but it obviously pays off in the long run.