Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's worth mentioning the hype/confidence from the Dundee fans stem from a comment made on their forum.

The poster who made has now claimed, on three separate days, May will be signed the next day, and has literally never called a signing correct ever.

That's only part of it. Wright hasn't mentioned May since his initial burst of enthusiasm about us trying to get him, McInnes said there had been no movement since the Monday when he had his chat with May and I think Wright's demeanour in his interview on Friday night was quite telling. Most of the interview can be explained away with frustration at the defeat, manner of the goals conceded, luck and lack of a new left back/defensive option in the squad but I didn't like the last 20 seconds or so of the interview. 'Hopefully we have the scope to bring someone else in'. Surely 'the scope' shouldn't really be in question - it's just the club's ability to get one of his targets in that position over the line. The 'scope' comment could be down to us holding off to see how much May takes out of the remaining budget, but I'm starting to fear a 2014 style 'no signings' announcement from him and the chairman over the next few days.

Given Brown's back in the last 4 windows, I don't think that is the case and there is still 6 weeks to go in the window, but I do worry someone has usurped us for May in the meantime. Dundee make most sense given they're looking for a striker and McPake has expressed an interest.

Manager says on Saints TV that Anderson and now Liam Craig as well didn't train today. Kennedy, Clark, Kane, Gordon and Wright all obviously out as well.

The only marginal crumb here is that at least it's in central midfield, the one area where we have cover.

I'm far from panic mode and have avoided commenting, but this is getting quite uncomfortable now.

In all of this does anyone ITK have a clue as to why we've not made signings, other than speculation? On the face of it we have the cash (not buckets but should be enough), it seems the manager has clear priorities and has been working for months. I'm struggling to see exactly what's been going on? Do we have any answer on the trialist CB that seemed to impress the folks that went to Belfast? Is this simply a case of 'chairman says no' or something else?

Unlike others I can't just ignore the Betfred as being a diddy cup. I mean it is, obviously, but we will be aiming to do well and we'll probably have to beat Ross County to win the group. With no reserves this year this cup gives squad players a proper chance at competitive football so a good run is important. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night but really not sure what to expect in terms of performance. It's not been an encouraging pre-season (so far). 

But .... it could all look so different by the weekend. 

37 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That's only part of it. Wright hasn't mentioned May since his initial burst of enthusiasm about us trying to get him, McInnes said there had been no movement since the Monday when he had his chat with May and I think Wright's demeanour in his interview on Friday night was quite telling. Most of the interview can be explained away with frustration at the defeat, manner of the goals conceded, luck and lack of a new left back/defensive option in the squad but I didn't like the last 20 seconds or so of the interview. 'Hopefully we have the scope to bring someone else in'. Surely 'the scope' shouldn't really be in question - it's just the club's ability to get one of his targets in that position over the line. The 'scope' comment could be down to us holding off to see how much May takes out of the remaining budget, but I'm starting to fear a 2014 style 'no signings' announcement from him and the chairman over the next few days.

Given Brown's back in the last 4 windows, I don't think that is the case and there is still 6 weeks to go in the window, but I do worry someone has usurped us for May in the meantime. Dundee make most sense given they're looking for a striker and McPake has expressed an interest.

Cheers for ruining my day.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm far from panic mode and have avoided commenting, but this is getting quite uncomfortable now.

In all of this does anyone ITK have a clue as to why we've not made signings, other than speculation? On the face of it we have the cash (not buckets but should be enough), it seems the manager has clear priorities and has been working for months. I'm struggling to see exactly what's been going on? Do we have any answer on the trialist CB that seemed to impress the folks that went to Belfast? Is this simply a case of 'chairman says no' or something else?

Unlike others I can't just ignore the Betfred as being a diddy cup. I mean it is, obviously, but we will be aiming to do well and we'll probably have to beat Ross County to win the group. With no reserves this year this cup gives squad players a proper chance at competitive football so a good run is important. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night but really not sure what to expect in terms of performance. It's not been an encouraging pre-season (so far). 

But .... it could all look so different by the weekend. 

I've seen about 60 minutes against Linfield and the full match against Morton and was encouraged watching those games, certainly going forward. The lack of a first choice striker aside, I thought we played some good football, we linked up well and the full back both looked dangerous on the wings in both matches. 

You can't ignore the goals we're conceding though. Even the two against Morton (two decent goals from their perspective) weren't particularly great defensively. We're now about 2 weeks overdue on that left back we were going to be signing in '5-7 days' and Zander Clark has been poised to sign his new contract for nearly 3 weeks now too.

I know a lot can't be helped but Wright coming out and giving an update on what's happening in the market and even announcing Clark's new deal would help build a bit of enthusiasm around the new season. He and Brown are likely to be the only ones who really knows what's going on with potential new signings so a bit of openness would be nice at this stage, especially as it was Wright who built up the return of May!

14 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Like others I can't just ignore the Betfred as being a diddy cup. I mean it is, obviously, but we will be aiming to do well and we'll probably have to beat Ross County to win the group. 

The club certainly won't be either. Reaching the Knockout stage and a potential for a big gate is the potentially the difference between TW getting that last target on deadline day or not. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The club certainly won't be either. Reaching the Knockout stage and a potential for a big gate is the potentially the difference between TW getting that last target on deadline day or not. 

I would have thought we were much more financially resilient than that, what with the wages we've freed up. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's worth mentioning the hype/confidence from the Dundee fans stem from a comment made on their forum.

The poster who made has now claimed, on three separate days, May will be signed the next day, and has literally never called a signing correct ever.

:lol:

You're really not dealing too well with this, are you? 

For all the nice play of Kennedy, swanson, o'halloran and occasionally wotherspoon, they can all pull of a flick or beat a man out wide, none of them are that strong at playing a good final ball or decisively beating a man to get a shot away.

This team absolutely has some nice play with no goals followed by sucker punch counter attack goals against written all over it

1 hour ago, Dele said:

:lol:

You're really not dealing too well with this, are you? 

How would you expect me to react?

I'll be gutted if he joins Dundee, but at the same time, if we've failed to sign him permanently because Aberdeen want a loan deal, that's something I'd accept without too much criticism of the club.

Have to wonder who'll get the brunt of the blame once May to Dundee goes through, a suggestion now itll be a permanent deal.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It worries me youve moved away from your May photo.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers for ruining my day.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How would you expect me to react?

I'll be gutted if he joins Dundee, but at the same time, if we've failed to sign him permanently because Aberdeen want a loan deal, that's something I'd accept without too much criticism of the club.

Delicious.

For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if he signed for Dundee - we've apparently made an open ended bid and Nelms has agreed a permanent and a loan deal option with Aberdeen and it's just down to May to choose where he wants to go. There's still too many variables to be getting this upset over a potential deal yet Random.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Delicious.

For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if he signed for Dundee - we've apparently made an open ended bid and Nelms has agreed a permanent and a loan deal option with Aberdeen and it's just down to May to choose where he wants to go. There's still too many variables to be getting this upset over a potential deal yet Random.

I think you'll get him, tbh. If it's a choice between Saints and Dundee, itll be a hefty wage cut and a higher division, or either the same wage (loan deal) or less of a wage cut, in a lower division.

I wouldnt blame him at all if he chose the option that seen him receive a higher wage.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have to wonder who'll get the brunt of the blame once May to Dundee goes through, a suggestion now itll be a permanent deal.

To make you feel slightly better, McPake confirmed in his pre-match press conference today that we've not heard back from May and it's in his court and could be up to 6 days before we do as he has a whole host of options including yourselves.

12 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I've never felt so unexcited about a new season starting. 

I think that's the overriding feeling a lot of our fans have this summer. Even by our somewhat low standards, this has been about as vanilla a pre-season as I can remember. The one positive blip was the link to Stevie May which might yet come to nothing. We've made 2 signings - announced on the same day and both are back up players - and released the kit on the same day. The club haven't really done anything to promote season tickets and Wright has basically been in hiding since the end of last season, with the odd Saints TV interview thrown in.

If May does end up at Dundee, I think the bulk of our fans will really turn. There's a kind of disquiet among the support already but that has the potential to really go into overdrive. Some clowns are questioning subs in friendlies and moaning about results already on the banter page. An echo chamber but I think it does kind of reflect a growing section in our support. Its crazy but familiarity breeds contempt.

Edit: as if to back up my first paragraph, we're having to rely on the manager of our rivals to provide us with an update on what's happening with Stevie May.  Would you happen to have a link to that press conference Ludo? I'm guessing it's behind a paywall? 

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I think that's the overriding feeling a lot of our fans have this summer. Even by our somewhat low standards, this has been about as vanilla a pre-season as I can remember. The one positive blip was the link to Stevie May which might yet come to nothing. We've made 2 signings - announced on the same day and both are back up players - and released the kit on the same day. The club haven't really done anything to promote season tickets and Wright has basically been in hiding since the end of last season, with the odd Saints TV interview thrown in.

If May does end up at Dundee, I think the bulk of our fans will really turn. There's a kind of disquiet among the support already but that has the potential to really go into overdrive. Some clowns are questioning subs in friendlies and moaning about results already on the banter page. An echo chamber but I think it does kind of reflect a growing section in our support. Its crazy but familiarity breeds contempt.

Edit: as if to back it up, we're having to rely on the manager of our rivals to provide us with an update on what's happening with Stevie May.  Would you happen to have a link to that press conference Ludo? I'm guessing it's behind a paywall? 

agree with all of this, but remember the banter page is full of people who still question the decisions to let Stephen Reynolds and Liam Caddis leave so their opinions dont really count

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

To make you feel slightly better, McPake confirmed in his pre-match press conference today that we've not heard back from May and it's in his court and could be up to 6 days before we do as he has a whole host of options including yourselves.

If it comes to finances, you'll get him. We'll be offering him a lower wage.

I cant see any plausible way we get him tbh.