Edinburgh City

2 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

After last Saturday's sucker punch equaliser at the death against Falkirk, I was delighted with the news of the Bonnyrigg winner on 90 minutes today.

What goes around, comes around.....

No pitch invasion I assume 

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

From what I hear you are signing Callum Wilson from Albion Rovers,

Hes been frozen out the squad most of the last few months after 2 seperate falling outs with the manager and has been training with garrowhill amateurs last couple weeks

Decent player but questions over his attitude, was previous managers publicly questions his fitness and attitude

That last part seems to sum up his time at Dumbarton as well. Started well and looked genuinely promising, then it seemed to just be completely diminishing returns as time went on before he ended up on loan to Open Goal Broomhill and out the door.

2 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

That last part seems to sum up his time at Dumbarton as well. Started well and looked genuinely promising, then it seemed to just be completely diminishing returns as time went on before he ended up on loan to Open Goal Broomhill and out the door.

I get the feeling our current manager doesn't take any shite. 

Hmm... file under "plays two games, ends up with a "mysterious" black eye, playing for Cumbernauld Colts next season..." 

4 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

After last Saturday's sucker punch equaliser at the death against Falkirk, I was delighted with the news of the Bonnyrigg winner on 90 minutes today.

What goes around, comes around.....

Broxburn must have been watching the highlights- their player at Crossgates today slips on the pitch outside the box, stumbles into the box and wins a penalty! 

An update of sorts from the Chairman via the BBC. The club have reached a 'time to pay' agreement with HMRC, but no other news of note. And - is Liam Fontaine still the club captain as the photo suggests ? Who knows. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68058986

Slightly disappointing that there has been no club statement since before Christmas despite more or less the entire squad leaving and being replaced with loans and out of contract players from elsewhere. I'd say a lot of the pay-as-you-go supporters are relying on P&B for club news. I read the above article on the Falkirk thread. 

Plenty of club news in the last programme... Or you could always read the local Edinburgh evening newspaper for all the in-depth analysis of local sport... :lol:

There was a bit of a condescending attitude from the reporter on Radio Scotland's evening news programme "They've done a deal with HMRC but I think they're still doomed". Aye, well pal, get back to kissing the Cheeks' cheeks like every other football reporter and f*ck you. 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Plenty of club news in the last programme...

There's a programme? Been to the last few home games and not clapped eyes on one for sale. I thought it had been shelved as part of the cut backs. 

I see you boys have signed Callum Wilson, formerly of ourselves and Albion Rovers. Have to say. I'm surprised to see him jumping back up to League One - but maybe Michael McIndoe is the sort of frightening gaffer he needs to whip him back into shape. I think there's a smashing player hiding in there, but how you coax it out I'm not quite sure.

I posted this on Albion Rovers' thread when they brought him in over the summer.

On 03/07/2023 at 10:09, Jan Vojáček said:

From your pitch-side highlights, ex-Son Callum Wilson was one of them. Blonde midfielder, quite stocky with a sleeve tattoo.

He burst onto the scene with us not long after his 17th birthday in 2021/22 and genuinely looked like he'd go on to enjoy a superb career. He was beating men for fun, his dead ball delivery was quality and he seemed like a kid very eager to prove a point after being let go by Hibs during the pandemic. In a game against Clydebank he picked up the ball on halfway, beat about six players (and then missed) but that had us all nodding along. He also tore Adam Devine a new arsehole in the diddy cup against Rangers B.

During the first few months of Stevie Farrell's reign he was our best player. Initially in central-midfield and then on left-wing. He scored a superb goal against Falkirk and won League POTM for September 2021 - clicky. After that we gave him an 18 month deal, which was seen as a superb bit of business.

As with most young players, after that POTM award his form dipped. But he didn't ever really get back anywhere near it. For whatever reason.

Faz was given a large amount of the blame, and he maybe wasn't brilliantly managed, but he also didn't do enough when he was on the pitch to earn an opportunity. I don't know if defenders sussed him out, if it was a confidence issue or what. But we didn't really ever see the Callum Wilson from the first few months of the season ever again.

Last season our squad had quite a radical overhaul, and I think we were all hoping the summer break would do him good. But it was the opposite. He looked unfit and out of shape, and was quickly shuffled off on loan - first to Open Goal and then to Gretna (that might've been permanent, I can' really remember).

He's still very young. He's a really good kid, very personable and chatty. His family and missus (who plays for Motherwell) are nice folk who go to most games, and I think an environment like Rovers could suit him. But he'd need to show that his early form with us wasn't a flash in the pan. I think it could be a motivation thing; when he came in he was initially on trial and performed so well he earned a deal. Once he got that deal his performances dropped, so maybe he'd need a short term deal to keep him on his toes and pushing.

I hope he does well if you do sign him. There's a player in there, I'm sure of it, you just might need to work a bit to unlock him.

Here's his terrific goal against Falkirk for you to enjoy.

Dickson was reluctant to say how much it is costing to run the club - which is in the third tier of Scottish football - for a season but confirmed it was in excess of £500,000.

Shows how beneficial it is to own your stadium. Don't think our costs are that high but we can generate savings and have an income from the stadium. 

I remember someone credible telling me when Edinburgh put us out the challenge cup a good few years ago that they were paying 3 times the wage of our highest paid player to their top earner. Just seems mad to me that you'd throw all that money down the drain and not build any basis for the future.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stenhousemuir have, once again, taken advantage of Edinburgh City's plight to sign Ben Stirling.

Is he good? Where does he play? Can he make us a better team?

Thank you.

He’s a half decent defender when he’s fit and had a few games under his belt but he’s spent most of his time with us injured on and off.  Hasn’t played since the league cup pre season, so quite surprised he’s straight into your squad tomorrow.  Good luck to him.

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I see you boys have signed Callum Wilson, formerly of ourselves and Albion Rovers. Have to say. I'm surprised to see him jumping back up to League One - but maybe Michael McIndoe is the sort of frightening gaffer he needs to whip him back into shape. I think there's a smashing player hiding in there, but how you coax it out I'm not quite sure.

I posted this on Albion Rovers' thread when they brought him in over the summer.

There were 2 seperate incidents he fell out with management and was basically bombed out the team,

Has been training with garrowhill ams the last few weeks and apparently wasn't very convincing about his side of the story

9 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

There were 2 seperate incidents he fell out with management and was basically bombed out the team,

Has been training with garrowhill ams the last few weeks and apparently wasn't very convincing about his side of the story

Exactly why I hope McIndoe might help him get back on track; good luck being brave enough to fall out with him!

Absolutely devastated at the points deduction, I had been anticipating a fine but when you read the statement we've not got a leg to stand on. If we've refused to engage with the process and essentially stuck our head in the sand then that's unforgivable.

Those players and the staff deserve a sporting chance to avoid relegation, and the fans deserve a chance to watch them try, they've earned that right and for some of these players it could have been career defining and a springboard to bigger things. To have that chance taken away by an off the pitch decision that had nothing to do with them is heartbreaking.

It's clear that the current custodians of the club were dealt a shit hand by the previous charlatan doing a runner and much of the mess that's engulfed this season isn't of their making, but there's really no way around this points deduction being their fault.

From the outside it already seemed like the response was really poor in terms of communication with fans, taking days to make any kind of statement when players started leaving and rumours were spreading in the space created by total silence from the club, but to fail to comply with the rules of the league on updating the SPFL on the situation is really unforgivable. If the failure to communicate properly with fans when it first kicked off had been down to ensuring they complied with the rules then that would be understandable, but this is shambolic and it's hard to imagine the punishment would have gone as far as a points deduction if they'd been in contact with the SPFL as required.

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's clear that the current custodians of the club were dealt a shit hand by the previous charlatan doing a runner and much of the mess that's engulfed this season isn't of their making, but there's really no way around this points deduction being their fault.

From the outside it already seemed like the response was really poor in terms of communication with fans, taking days to make any kind of statement when players started leaving and rumours were spreading in the space created by total silence from the club, but to fail to comply with the rules of the league on updating the SPFL on the situation is really unforgivable. If the failure to communicate properly with fans when it first kicked off had been down to ensuring they complied with the rules then that would be understandable, but this is shambolic and it's hard to imagine the punishment would have gone as far as a points deduction if they'd been in contact with the SPFL as required.

Yeah hard to disagree with any of this. Hard to take.