Edinburgh City

1 hour ago, jacobsladder said:

Let’s just accept we are in League 2 next season and build up again 

Suppose it's a headstart to get the young lads to gel and hopefully hit the ground running next season. 

2 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Absolutely devastated at the points deduction, I had been anticipating a fine.

Those players and the staff deserve a sporting chance to avoid relegation, and the fans deserve a chance to watch them try, they've earned that right and for some of these players it could have been career defining and a springboard to bigger things. To have that chance taken away by an off the pitch decision that had nothing to do with them is heartbreaking.

Gutted! 😭   Just when you think this season can't get any worse, something else comes along!!!

That seems a very harsh punishment to me, but hey, were only Edinburgh City so it doesn't really matter.

Feel really sorry for all the players, management team and even the fans that have all been shat on here!

So that's the final nail hammered in for the season it seems.  Hopefully can't get any worse now...

Edited by Tenkay

12 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Those players and the staff deserve a sporting chance to avoid relegation, and the fans deserve a chance to watch them try, they've earned that right and for some of these players it could have been career defining and a springboard to bigger things. To have that chance taken away by an off the pitch decision that had nothing to do with them is heartbreaking.

Points deductions never sit comfortably to me, doesn't matter if it's Everton or Edinburgh City, the punishment is on the wrong people as the charlatans that put you in this mess are still unaffected. Those suffering now are the players, management team, board and supporters of the club. Gotta feel for those people, but there also has to be a better way to punish clubs that find themselves in this situation by going for the people that put them in it in the first instance.

10 hours ago, Tenkay said:

So that's the final nail hammered in for the season it seems.  Hopefully can't get any worse now...

Just don't sign David Goodwillie.

13 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Absolutely devastated at the points deduction, I had been anticipating a fine but when you read the statement we've not got a leg to stand on. If we've refused to engage with the process and essentially stuck our head in the sand then that's unforgivable.

It looks pretty desperate, for sure.  I wonder if a fine was a realistic option, though - would Edinburgh City have the means to pay any fine that wasn't just a token slap on the wrist?

18 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It looks pretty desperate, for sure.  I wonder if a fine was a realistic option, though - would Edinburgh City have the means to pay any fine that wasn't just a token slap on the wrist?

I honestly think if we'd have been upfront and open with the SPFL it would have been a fine and, hopefully my wife isn't reading this, I'd put away some cash to contribute.

At least I've saved some money I guess

11 hours ago, Tenkay said:

That seems a very harsh punishment to me, but hey, were only Edinburgh City so it doesn't really matter.

I'd say six points is a pretty light penalty for a club which doesn't pay its taxes or players. If you want to pretend the league are treating you unfairly because they've some anti-Edinburgh City agenda then you're even more deluded than the Celtic fans.

As a former inhabitant of Jock's Lodge, I've a soft spot for Edinburgh City and want to see them succeed. However, as someone who pays his taxes and likes to be paid by his employer, this punishment seems warranted.

I'm sure that Annan who were denied promotion by Edinburgh's squad they couldn't afford in 2021/22, or Clyde and Peterhead who were relegated last season whilst a team overpaying their players finished above them, won't think the punishment is too harsh. Financial doping has positive implications on the pitch in terms of results, so the punishment needs to reflect actions on the pitch.

Football authorities have no way of "going after" previous owners to punish them.

Edited by craigkillie

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'd say six points is a pretty light penalty for a club which doesn't pay its taxes or players. If you want to pretend the league are treating you unfairly because they've some anti-Edinburgh City agenda then you're even more deluded than the Celtic fans.

As a former inhabitant of Jock's Lodge, I've a soft spot for Edinburgh City and want to see them succeed. However, as someone who pays his taxes and likes to be paid by his employer, this punishment seems warranted.

In comparison to the punishments for "insolvency events" (15 points off in first season with five off the following for a first offence, and 25/15 for repeat offences) this seems about right.

A fine would obviously not work for a club that is already technically insolvent, and given the turnover of owners/directors in some clubs banning individuals wouldn't make much difference.

While being sympathetic towards City fans – recognising that they aren't responsible for this – I think we also need to be sympathetic towards other clubs. Promotion/relegations and prize money in future years are obviously affected when clubs spend money they don't have to try to buy success.

Of course if you look at clubs' accounts you will see that there are some others that are in deeper financial difficulties than City but limp along with large debts to owners/directors.

Judging by your recent results I wouldn't give up just yet on your L1 survival , Annan are still catchable And i bet  Mr  McIndoe is telling his players just that  .  Yeah I know  its the hope that kills you ....

Edited by Vegetableman

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Judging by your recent results I wouldn't give up just yet on your L1 survival , Annan are still catchable And i bet  Mr  McIndoe is telling his players just that  .  Yeah I know  its the hope that kills you ....

It starts tomorrow 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm sure that Annan who were denied promotion by Edinburgh's squad they couldn't afford in 2021/22, or Clyde and Forfar who were relegated last season whilst a team overpaying their players finished above them, won't think the punishment is too harsh. Financial doping has positive implications on the pitch in terms of results, so the punishment needs to reflect actions on the pitch.

Football authorities have no way of "going after" previous owners to punish them.

I believe a lot of the unfairness chat comes from a belief that other clubs have had lesser punishments (fines, in some cases suspended) for similar offences. Whether that's true or not I don't know (or particularly care if I'm honest)

As I've said on here and on Twitter, if we've acted in the way laid out in the statement then I don't see how we can argue against the punishment and we'll just have to suck it up.

However, for the players, the management staff and the fans, it is too harsh a punishment, they are suffering the consequences of actions that had nothing to do with them or they had no control over. I don't think policing their (our) reactions does anyone any favours.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm sure that Annan who were denied promotion by Edinburgh's squad they couldn't afford in 2021/22, or Clyde and Forfar who were relegated last season whilst a team overpaying their players finished above them, won't think the punishment is too harsh. Financial doping has positive implications on the pitch in terms of results, so the punishment needs to reflect actions on the pitch.

Not really getting that. Under both scenarios you have given examples of, they were able to afford their squad at that point, it’s only with the withdrawal of the previous owner subsidising the club that they are not now able to.

Whether you agree with the business model of that time is not really the point.

I don’t know if any of the HMRC issues relate back that far, you would think not.  Even if they did it is up to the new owners to have done their due diligence on the financial situation they were taking on. If anything was hidden or not disclosed by the previous owner then the new ones would have legal recourse.

57 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Not really getting that. Under both scenarios you have given examples of, they were able to afford their squad at that point, it’s only with the withdrawal of the previous owner subsidising the club that they are not now able to.

Whether you agree with the business model of that time is not really the point.

I don’t know if any of the HMRC issues relate back that far, you would think not.  Even if they did it is up to the new owners to have done their due diligence on the financial situation they were taking on. If anything was hidden or not disclosed by the previous owner then the new ones would have legal recourse.

If you look at their accounts (available through Companies House) in 2021/22 the club lost around £150k and ended the financial year technically insolvent.

6 points does seem harsh, but it means can City finish with 2 more victories over the season than Annan will to cancel that out. Annan are also struggling and finding L1 tougher than L2. That target starts on Saturday where an Annan win probably ends that glimmer of hope for City.

But as someone mentioned above, this is a chance to play the kids for half a season before going down... and an inexperienced team with half a season if L1 football behind them might just about be competitive in L2 with the right additions of experience around them. 

There is no doubt that full blame lies in the decisions of the previous regime who have lumbered city into this position. But it seems current regime have maybe been a bit naive and possibly invested into the dream, being supporters, rather than doing proper due diligence on the state club was in. Definitely guilty also of poor communication.

I'm sure City will get through this one, but unless they can move grounds and really put down roots in a community, I do think they may just keep going season to season.

48 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

There is no doubt that full blame lies in the decisions of the previous regime who have lumbered city into this position. 

I'd say there is a bit of doubt, seeing as part of the reason they're being docked points is that they failed to disclose the situation to the league. That's solely on the current board.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'd say there is a bit of doubt, seeing as part of the reason they're being docked points is that they failed to disclose the situation to the league. That's solely on the current board.

Oh definitely. That's what I mean by current regimes naivety, lack of due diligence and poor communication. 

Previous regime caused the situation the club is in. Current regime brought on the punishment by not declaring it and being open.