Edinburgh City

17 minutes ago, GordonD said:

This needs putting into context. On one Brake Club trip we took it in turns to read aloud from the book Spycatcher, which Thatcher had banned from being sold in England - though it was available in Scotland and everywhere else in the world. The Scotsman Diary got wind of this and we got a mention - this cartoon was our view of the Official Supporters' Club response.

I can see why Margaret got so upset with  Peter Wright and Paul Greengrass and their spy book (Spycatcher rhymes with Thatcher).

I have the same problem when people mention the word jobby.

29 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

And I'd also read about the book readings making the newspapers but I think them being wrongly attributed to the official supporters club bus by the press. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that one). 

No, they knew it was us. IIRC the piece was ridiculing the Government's continued attempt to suppress the book when it was available in so many places, from <something> to being read aloud on the Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club bus.

We actually didn't read that much, because it was boring as hell - it was just for the principle of the thing.

BTW that book cover is definitely influenced by René Magritte...

Time_transfixed.jpg

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

No, they knew it was us. IIRC the piece was ridiculing the Government's continued attempt to suppress the book when it was available in so many places, from <something> to being read aloud on the Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club bus.

We actually didn't read that much, because it was boring as hell - it was just for the principle of the thing.

BTW that book cover is definitely influenced by René Magritte...

Here's a question for you (that I already know the answer to because it's in the next City Fanzine AWOL Review).

Where was the Brake Club Bus going to when the Spycatcher readings took place?

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

I'm being called away on business on the 13th, 14th and 15th of February. Could you raise a point of order about the postponed game with the negotiators who are rearranging the new League 2 fixture date at Central Park between Cowdenbeath and Edinburgh City. (Presumably this is going to be a midweek match now)

"Mr Blobby is being called away on business to New Crinkley Bottom in East Sussex on the 13th, 14th and 15th of February. Would the committee consider working around Mr Blobby's prior appointments and refrain from choosing any of these dates for the rescheduled League 2 match at Central Park, as he would dearly love to attend. Mr Blobby fears for another Valentine's day massacre if his valued support is missing on the day of the match."

Still never heard anything Mr B but I would imagine it would be the last week in February.

20 minutes ago, GordonD said:

BTW that [Thomas the Tank Engine] book cover is definitely influenced by René Magritte...

Time_transfixed.jpg

There's one thing you can say about the Edinburgh City thread. It's never boring and it's very edyoucatio, educational (Shit! That's two things. See what I mean about being educational?)

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I have no idea! It was thirty years ago! 

Well, I don't want to spoil the surprise for the others so see here

Spoiler

It's in your message box

if you can't wait until the City Fanzine is published next Thursday -ish

As we wait for the fall-out from the cancellation of the Citizens supporters' bus to Elgin City, here is a short Spycatcher intermission.

Sung with more gusto on the Brake Club Bus coming back from a 3-3 draw with East Fife on 15 August 1987, 'Methil no more' (AKA Letter from America)

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I don't know why the Greeks are always going on about the Elgin Marbles- they don't look that impressive to me (Tam the Bam- talking bools again)

Could be a good marketing gimmick for Edinburgh City. Bags of Black & White marbles for sale. You could have the players names written on them too

bools.jpg.db322ad3bd13a57386e84a0563c43849.jpg

With Allum gone that leaves only See and Beattie as recognised strikers, right? Surely there must be something in the pipeline for bringing someone else in?! Beattie can't last a full 90 minutes and See is having a decent season but surely we can't expect him to score enough to keep City in the League? Not that Allum was firing them in either.

Any rumours of new additions to the squad?

With Allum gone that leaves only See and Beattie as recognised strikers, right? Surely there must be something in the pipeline for bringing someone else in?! Beattie can't last a full 90 minutes and See is having a decent season but surely we can't expect him to score enough to keep City in the League? Not that Allum was firing them in either.

Any rumours of new additions to the squad?

Aye, I'm sad to see Ross go but I can only hope it means we've got someone else lined up. If we can't add some goals to our team soon then I think we'll finish last.