Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Yes. I absolutely see him as a success. Of course, it would've been nice to have won more and our domestic cup record will need to improve, but the "one trophy" chat ignores the context behind his appointment, the shambles he inherited and the gap there was (and still is, financially anyway) between us and Celtic. It also implies equal importance to all 9 trophies when that really isn't the case.

If we consider our last 5 seasons worth of Points Per Game tally, it shows a clear and obvious improvement:

16/17: 1.76 PPG

17/18: 1.84 PPG

*Gerrard Appointed*

18/19: 2.05 PPG

19/20: 2.31 PPG

20/21: 2.68 PPG

Secondly, why would we ignore Europe? We were a laughing stock after being eliminated by Progres. Since then, we have qualified for the Europa League group stage each year which has allowed us to invest more in the playing squad as a result which no doubt contributed towards us winning the title last season.

While it's not been a flawless A+ performance, I think Gerrard's approval ratings with the fans will be extremely high. I will also add, though, that the way we are set up, I think relies heavily on the influence of his backroom staff. They work well collectively as a coaching team and I don't think our improvement is solely down to Gerrard - far from it, in fact.

So aye, I think the 1 trophy in 9 chat is disingenuous, because we all know that if, hypothetically, Gerrard's tenure at Rangers finished with, say 3 cup wins but no league wins, then he'd likely have been out of a job in the summer.

I thought that I was being nice to you by setting Europe aside, because if you include the European competitions then it’s 1 trophy in 12.

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I thought that I was being nice to you by setting Europe aside, because if you include the European competitions then it’s 1 trophy in 12.

Haha you're right. We should be glad to get rid of him!

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I doubt very much that there would be much truth in an English Premier League club wanting Gerrard given his record up here. He has been here for three and a half years, put Rangers millions of pounds further into debt and has one trophy, albeit the one that he had to win, to show for it. One trophy. Do Rangers fans on here truly see him as a success simply because he stopped the ten-in-a-row. Ignoring Europe, he has competed for nine Scottish trophies and been successful once.

IGDjh_LmCRwRl1cLkZsCBWsE6PNuBhwx6apuFOWk

Compensation for Gerrard, Gerrard off the wage bill, possible that a couple of players following him to Villa meaning more money coming in, finally hiring an out of work manager.

That should sort out that pesky shortfall in their finances.

Gerrard to Villa makes a lot of sense from his perspective if this does turn out to be true. 

Well supported club who back their manager financially and with the core of a decent team already. You only need to look at how Rodgers' stock has risen down south since taking over the Leicester job to see the attraction for Gerrard with half an eye on the Liverpool job ~2024. If he takes his backroom staff there is also McAllister who will know the club so should make a transition a bit easier.

If hes offered it, I'd be pretty shocked if he doesnt take it.

Can only hope Rangers refuse to agree compensation forcing him to quit and take the job without you lot getting a penny. The statements would be spectacular.

Tbh I’d have thought he would have moved to a championship club or a lower placed premiership side in the summer.  His stock was at its highest back then.  Someone like Bournemouth or Notts Forrest.  Villa are a far bigger club and fair play to his agent is he lands that gig.

IANIS HAGI will donate a cut of his monthly salary to help the needy in the UK and Romania as part of a ground-breaking scheme.
The Romanian international has become a firm fan favourite at Rangers since joining the club last year

But the Light Blues superstar admits he will now realise a childhood dream to help those from less privileged backgrounds.
Together with his friend and Brighton star Tudor Baluta, Hagi have become the first Romanian members of Common Goal.
The organisation was founded by Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata back in 2017 and includes the likes of Jurgen Klopp, Timo Werner and Rangers ace Leon Balogun among its membership.
As part of the scheme, they each donate one per cent of their salaries to causes all over the world.
And for his part, Hagi will donate half of his contribution to help improve education opportunities in his homeland.
While the rest will go to the Denis Law Legacy Trust, which uses football to improve young people's lives.

Hagi said: “I’m now part of something I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid so I’m really happy I can help at a young age.
“It was our first thought to go and help Romanian communities and people from underprivileged background.
"But when I feel like I grow in a place and see myself really happy I have to give back to Glasgow and to Scotland too.
“I feel like there are so many players I’ve played with who want to do something like this and be part of a movement, but they don’t know how to start it.