Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

I love how he wants to ensure Rangers achievements aren't downplayed whilst in the midst of a pandemic that's killed almost 125,000 people in the UK, big Dougie certainly has his priorities right. 🤣

And it wouldn't be complete without a little bit of whataboutery also, well played

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Yep, that's what my view is too. Before anyone comes on saying I'm defending the fans actions, I am not. I am criticising Swinney for his inaccurate comments about the club.

What about the actions of the players/staff? Coming out to celebrate with the fans? surely they should have been kept away from the windows and gates because all that does is encourage more and more people to come. 

And yes i understand emotions are high and the players have every right to celebrate but that too should be behind closed doors and with little to no fan interaction. After partying with the players they are naturally going to look for somewhere else to go. 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I love how he wants to ensure Rangers achievements aren't downplayed whilst in the midst of a pandemic that's killed almost 125,000 people in the UK, big Dougie certainly has his priorities right. 🤣

And it wouldn't be complete without a little bit of whataboutery also, well played

What about the actions of the players/staff? Coming out to celebrate with the fans? surely they should have been kept away from the windows and gates because all that does is encourage more and more people to come. 

And yes i understand emotions are high and the players have every right to celebrate but that too should be behind closed doors and with little to no fan interaction. After partying with the players they are naturally going to look for somewhere else to go. 

I can only agree that the players should've avoided interacting with the fans, however I think it's a very big stretch to suggest that had any influence on A) fans deciding to turn up, because they were already there before the players interacted with them and B) had any bearing on fans deciding to then move on to George Square. No chance whatsoever. 

Edited by AJF

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

I can only agree that the players should've avoided interacting with the fans, however I think it's a very big stretch to suggest that had any influence on A) fans deciding to turn up, because they were already there before the players interacted with them and B) had any bearing on fans deciding to then move on to George Square. No chance whatsoever. 

Yes but they would have dispersed much quicker if the players hadn't

1 minute ago, milhouse said:

I think Douglas Park is being pretty reasonable there. 

Except the laughable bit about "greatest modern day sporting acheivement".

Hey, he's not perfect but it'll do for starters haha.

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

2 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I think Douglas Park is being pretty reasonable there. 

Except the laughable bit about "greatest modern day sporting acheivement".

I’d suggest the part where he blames the authorities for not removing the memorial benches rather than the fans who damaged them isn’t at all reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Yes but they would have dispersed much quicker if the players hadn't

I believe the majority of them had dispersed from the morning by that point so they could actually go home and watch the game. The main issue was the gatherings on Sunday outside Ibrox and in George Square when we clinched the title. The players weren't at Ibrox at all on Sunday as far as I am aware so there was no incentive for fans to gather at Ibrox.

1 minute ago, AllSaint said:

I’d suggest the part where he blames the authorities for not removing the memorial benches rather than the fans who damaged them isn’t at all reasonable. 

Do they move them in circumstances where large crowds are expected normally?

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

I believe the majority of them had dispersed from the morning by that point so they could actually go home and watch the game. The main issue was the gatherings on Sunday outside Ibrox and in George Square when we clinched the title. The players weren't at Ibrox at all on Sunday as far as I am aware so there was no incentive for fans to gather at Ibrox.

I'm talking about the players engaging with the fans also at Auchenhowie not just Ibrox. 

Those fans on the Sunday after the players were celebrating with them would have naturally added to to the swells in George Square as they would be buoyed and amped up. They may have went there anyway however the celebrations at Auchenhowie made sure of it

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I'm talking about the players engaging with the fans at Auchenhowie not Ibrox. 

Ah, I see. so you believe that players coming out to acknowledge, let's say 100-200 fans that had already gathered outside Auchenhowie played a significant role in the thousands that turned up at George Square?

I've said it wasn't a good look for the players to interact with the fans and that they probably shouldn't have done it, but I don't think this is the smoking gun that you think it is mate.

26 minutes ago, AllSaint said:

Rangers stance:

Arrogant to issue a statement before they won the league

Irresponsible of the council not to move benches before they won the league

Absolutely shameless.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Ah, I see. so you believe that players coming out to acknowledge, let's say 100-200 fans that had already gathered outside Auchenhowie played a significant role in the thousands that turned up at George Square?

I've said it wasn't a good look for the players to interact with the fans and that they probably shouldn't have done it, but I don't think this is the smoking gun that you think it is mate.

Yes because those 100-200 would be sharing all sorts of images/videos across social media which would only encourage already buoyant fans to say if they are partying so can i, grab their jacket and carry out and head out to where the party is.....which by that point was clearly George Square. 

Thats the influence of social media and its naive to downplay the impact it has. 

It also undermines any notion that the players/staff take their responsibilities seriously despite what they may be saying at a press conference again the significance of Rangers winning the league certainly isn't lost on me and fully understand the desire to celebrate however.....

Edited by Jinky67

I am listening to the criticisms coming from the various parties from the parliament.  I genuinely believe that only 80% of Rangers fans are morons and think hearing from the 20%, some of them on here would quell some of the behaviour we have seen and may be ahead.