Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

31 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

Rangers and Celtic already have resources that dwarf all other clubs in the country. I find it utterly bizarre that even that starting advantage is not enough that they (well, potentially just rangers at the minute) would rack up such an overspend. Mental stuff.

As aside, I'd like to think that even Falkirk could nab 1 league title over 9 years while racking up £100m debt. Hardly much to brag about.

Makes the 14 million loss Sevco had to win League 2 quite good value now tbh.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Would the second option not impigne on the first?

Potentially, yes. If you don't qualify for the CL Groups, you sell a player to cover the loss which potentially makes you weaker, but it's the model Celtic have been successfully adopting for some time now and we need to do the same.

Granted, they were able to operate this model successfully over a period where they have rarely had any challenge domestically, but it's not really feasible to continue this way.

It matters not a jot if Rangers win the league, as that guarantees them the CL money.

I imagine Rangers fans are quite relaxed about that tbh, we all know Rangers and Gerrard can cope with a seasons worth of pressure to win the league now...

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Why should 10 in a row dwarf anything? Surely having a club to support instead of starting another is more important?

That's my point. They were hell bent on stopping 10 in a row to the likely detriment of the future.

Rangers missed a massive trick when they started again. They could have done it more sustainably and built the fabric of the club and its structure up while still getting massive crowds and would still have made it to the top flight in the same time, but would be set up much better than they are. How long can they rely on soft loans, share issues and the maybe of CL money.

A proper Rangers fan would be asking some serious questions about the running of the club. On field much is clicking, but off field something is fundamentally wrong.

I would wage that if pretty much any other club in scottish football could/would throw £100m at it they'd make it into the top two.

19 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

That's my point. They were hell bent on stopping 10 in a row to the likely detriment of the future.

Rangers missed a massive trick when they started again. They could have done it more sustainably and built the fabric of the club and its structure up while still getting massive crowds and would still have made it to the top flight in the same time, but would be set up much better than they are. How long can they rely on soft loans, share issues and the maybe of CL money.

A proper Rangers fan would be asking some serious questions about the running of the club. On field much is clicking, but off field something is fundamentally wrong.

I would wage that if pretty much any other club in scottish football could/would throw £100m at it they'd make it into the top two.

I don't think that uncle Charlie was too fussed about sustainability and fabric building tbf.

55 minutes ago, bennett said:

I don't think that uncle Charlie was too fussed about sustainability and fabric building tbf.

Neither were the fans, as far as I could see.

There was plenty reports of Charlie being a con man when he was at Sheffield United which was widely ignored.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Potentially, yes. If you don't qualify for the CL Groups, you sell a player to cover the loss which potentially makes you weaker, but it's the model Celtic have been successfully adopting for some time now and we need to do the same.

Granted, they were able to operate this model successfully over a period where they have rarely had any challenge domestically, but it's not really feasible to continue this way.

Growth of revenue streams outside of ticket sales also needed (and started) to offset the lack of TV money. Already linked with Disney/Star through the Indian rights package, potentially an avenue for other markets now.

COVID blowing a hole in the ratios of first team wages to revenue aside, they’re not brilliant but they’re not awful either. 

52 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Neither were the fans, as far as I could see.

There was plenty reports of Charlie being a con man when he was at Sheffield United which was widely ignored.

Should've gone to...

1200px-Specsavers_logo.svg.png

Oor old pals are back in the news, God help Derby if they get their snouts in..

Scottish businessmen James and Sandy Easdale are in advanced talks to buy Derby, the PA news agency understands.

It is understood the brothers, who have previously invested in Scottish champions Rangers, have teamed up with a Malaysian fund to attempt to push through a takeover at Pride Park.

The Rams are in administration and were deducted 12 points by the EFL as a result.

They called in the administrators in September as owner Mel Morris revealed the coronavirus pandemic had cost them £20million.

The Easdale brothers, who grew up in Greenock, have amassed an estimated £750million fortune based on property and transport and bought a shareholding at Ibrox in 2013, but were ousted from the board during Dave King’s takeover.

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

Oor old pals are back in the news, God help Derby if they get their snouts in..

Scottish businessmen James and Sandy Easdale are in advanced talks to buy Derby, the PA news agency understands.

It is understood the brothers, who have previously invested in Scottish champions Rangers, have teamed up with a Malaysian fund to attempt to push through a takeover at Pride Park.

The Rams are in administration and were deducted 12 points by the EFL as a result.

They called in the administrators in September as owner Mel Morris revealed the coronavirus pandemic had cost them £20million.

The Easdale brothers, who grew up in Greenock, have amassed an estimated £750million fortune based on property and transport and bought a shareholding at Ibrox in 2013, but were ousted from the board during Dave King’s takeover.

I wouldn't wish the Easdales on anyone. Well, maybe Celtic.

Not sure why everyone is getting so aeriated about the set of accounts of a meaningless and expendable operating company.

If said operating company goes tits up, our forward-thinking football administrators will simply license another off-the-shelf debt-free newco(mpany) to operate the same club with a derisory and utterly meaningless points deduction as the only sanction.

Those football administrators will also argue that (Third) Rangers should ply its trade in the top division for the good of Scottish football. What's not to like?

I believe it was Jorg Albertz Einstein who defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome, but clearly those who 'wrestled back control of the club' wurnae listening.

Meanwhile, the SFA turns a deaf eye and a blind ear to the same old.

The people should be indebted for their saviours' indebtedness. It can't be easy to win a solitary top league title in eight and a half years of existence with cumulative debts of just a hundred and six million quid. 

Edited by Squonk
Too truthful