Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

Lol.

For the rest of your post - I was delighted when the old Rangers gave us a couple of million for Naismith, paid for all of his treatment through some bad injuries only for him to walk away declaring that Rangers and Sevco were two different clubs.

Hey everyone Dindy spotted a typo, praise him....

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I said previously it’s a factor. It’s just not the only or probably the most important factor. Under Lennon, without Rangers, attendances were higher than the Mowbray season. 

Look at the figures.  I've edited in the correct link now.

The pattern is unmistakable, with your cunningly selected season a clear outlier.

11 minutes ago, The OP said:

Unfortunately I’m basing my assertion on recorded statistics and you’re basing yours on an 8 year old memory of a team you don’t support and whose home games are rarely televised. In conclusion, I win.

I must have just imagined Celtic closing their upper tier at Parkhead....

Spoiler

Image result for celtic close upper tier at parkhead

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

I must have just imagined Celtic closing their upper tier at Parkhead....

Hide contents

Image result for celtic close upper tier at parkhead

They closed the upper tier in the Europa League, and Rangers weren’t in that competition either so I see your point.

In the league they closed the upper tier at one end stand, a move which would reduce the capacity of the stadium to around 53,000 (which is above any average attendance from 2009 to 2016).

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Sorry I should have said looking to sign....

What you mean is, that wee diddy lanarkshire club will bow to our request to recruit their player. News for you Bennett that ceased to be the case post 2012, and unless your putrid club has the baws to actually submit a bid rather than speculate in the press about it, then the message to your club will be bolt.

9 minutes ago, The OP said:

They closed the upper tier in the Europa League, and Rangers weren’t in that competition either so I see your point.

In the league they closed the upper tier at one end stand, a move which would reduce the capacity of the stadium to around 53,000 (which is above any average attendance from 2009 to 2016).

Hmmmm.

What happened in 2016 again? 

19 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The munchers who post on here will know this already but here's the starting line-up for this evening's training exercise in Orange County:

The game looks like it'll be streamed on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hToinAW2kKc

Wee bit of Phil Collins currently being played for the auld farts to enjoy

Slightly off topic I know but how did O'Halloran get on? We seem set on wasting our entire window waiting for him to fail so we can get him back. 

I’m hoping the NFL playoff games are a little more entertaining tonight. 

Watched the 1st game last night and highlights of the 2nd this morning. Didn’t see any point in sitting up til small hrs watching the pats stroll it. Thank f**k the falcons are dead, even though it means no home field adv for us if we win tonight.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hmmmm.

What happened in 2016 again? 

While i can accept that Rangers absence didn't help our crowds, it is pretty clear that the decline was 3 seasons before they left the league. I think the downsizing, quality of signing and manager etc were more to do with the decline than Rangers demise.

Screenshot_20180114-131706.jpg

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

While i can accept that Rangers absence didn't help our crowds, it is pretty clear that the decline was 3 seasons before they left the league. I think the downsizing, quality of signing and manager etc were more to do with the decline than Rangers demise.

Screenshot_20180114-131706.jpg

Well at least you and the OP are acknowledging that it was a factor, unlike those arguing otherwise earlier.  I still think you're both guilty of downplauying it though.  

Gates clearly had been in decline before Rangers' liquidation.  However, they'd actually recovered a little just before it.  They then dropped off really quite steeply, before booming again when the Newco got up.

I think the Rangers situation has been very influential in that narrative.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Well at least you and the OP are acknowledging that it was factor, unlike those arguing otherwise earlier.  I still think you're both guilty of downplaying it though.  

Gates clearly had been in decline before Rangers' liquidation.  However, they'd actually recovered a little just before it.  They then dropped off really quite steeply, before booming again when the Newco got up.

I think the Rangers situation has been very influential in that narrative.

What was the ST sales before and after Brendan signed? I’d imagine that would be influential.

30 minutes ago, happyaccie said:

What you mean is, that wee diddy lanarkshire club will bow to our request to recruit their player. News for you Bennett that ceased to be the case post 2012, and unless your putrid club has the baws to actually submit a bid rather than speculate in the press about it, then the message to your club will be bolt.

Accies trying to show the P and Ds that he doesn't favour sevco, I can't see it working...

19 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

What was the ST sales before and after Brendan signed? I’d imagine that would be influential.

Quite possibly, but I'd also put much of what Tony calls "the downsizing, quality of signing and manager" down to Rangers' absence too.

The recruitment of Rodgers was probably related to that exile ending.

The biggest single factor though would have been the return of OF fixtures and the perception of a rekindled rivalry. 

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Grrrrrr

Grrrrrr 

Listen I can understand your anger. You go from Rangers and signing top notch internationals (that you cheated to acquire and clearly couldn't afford) to becoming Sevco and foaming at the mouth and wetting your knickers about signing a Hamilton Accies midfielder.  Sometimes reality is so hard to accept!

Edited by Sting777

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Quite possibly, but I'd also put much of what Tony calls "the downsizing, quality of signing and manager" down to Rangers' absence too.

The recruitment of Rodgers was probably related to that exile ending.

The biggest single factor though would have been the return of OF fixtures and the perception of a rekindled rivalry. 

I think you over estimate the impact Rangers have on our crowds and I feel like you just want your opinion to be true for obvious reasons. I think Rangers making the top league would have had a bit of an impact but for me the biggest driver behind the massive increase was Brendan Rodgers being appointed and the hope that gave the fans for the future.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Slightly off topic I know but how did O'Halloran get on? We seem set on wasting our entire window waiting for him to fail so we can get him back. 

Aye, shame on your for asking a football-related Q on a football-related thread.  Don't let it become a habit ;)

O'Halloran was anonymous, really.  In the first half we played to our more common pattern of possession-dominant, toothless, tippy-tappy pish and getting caught flat-footed at the back.  When we play like that he just wallows in mediocrity, does nothing badly but adds nothing either.  I can't recall him either skinning his man or putting a decent ball in to the box.

I don't know why Murty wanted him back and I doubt he's happy to be back either.  He should have been left with you where he'll get games and where, seemingly, he fits well in to your style of play.

29 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I think you over estimate the impact Rangers have on our crowds and I feel like you just want your opinion to be true for obvious reasons. I think Rangers making the top league would have had a bit of an impact but for me the biggest driver behind the massive increase was Brendan Rodgers being appointed and the hope that gave the fans for the future.

I don't often say this but monkey is right, so stop clogging up our thread with this nonsense.