Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

49 minutes ago, bennett said:

Richard Foster has been charged by the Scottish FA over his "lies" outburst while covering Rangers' win over St Johnstone.

The former Ibrox defender was covering the match on BBC Sportsound when he slaughtered an explanation over Cyriel Dessers' goal in the Premier Sports Cup contest.

Referee Matthew MacDermid allowed play to continue - where Dessers then scored - before awarding a free-kick to St Johnstone.

The official was then advised to review the incident at the pitchside monitor where the goal was then awarded.

A Scottish FA disciplinary update has confirmed a notice of complaint against Foster - who is a coach for Motherwell alongside his punditry work - citing disciplinary rule 77.

A hearing has been set for Wednesday, September 11.

The disciplinary rule allegedly breached reads: "Disciplinary Rule allegedly breached: Disciplinary Rule 77. A recognised football body, club, official, Team Official, other member of Team Staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football

That’s quite an interesting route for the SFA to take. I’m not sure if I agree with it or not. On one hand if he was a member of the coaching staff of the club involved and was interviewed after the game and used the same words then he would likely get punished for it.  However here he is in his (I assume) part time role as a pundit and is surely just giving his views on the game as he sees it? 

This charge, if followed through with a punishment, will have to lead to a softening of commentary on games from anyone still involved with the game which doesn’t really feel right 

Hard to know where it would end either. Someone like Gordon Strachan who has always been known for saying what’s on his mind, what happens if he makes a severe comment about a referee whilst he is involved in whatever capacity he is at Dundee. It surely wouldn’t be correct for him to them receive some sort of punishment for that.

17 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

That’s quite an interesting route for the SFA to take. I’m not sure if I agree with it or not. On one hand if he was a member of the coaching staff of the club involved and was interviewed after the game and used the same words then he would likely get punished for it.  However here he is in his (I assume) part time role as a pundit and is surely just giving his views on the game as he sees it? 

This charge, if followed through with a punishment, will have to lead to a softening of commentary on games from anyone still involved with the game which doesn’t really feel right 

Hard to know where it would end either. Someone like Gordon Strachan who has always been known for saying what’s on his mind, what happens if he makes a severe comment about a referee whilst he is involved in whatever capacity he is at Dundee. It surely wouldn’t be correct for him to them receive some sort of punishment for that.

I’d agree to an extent, but he branded the SFA liars. In doing so, insinuating some kind of collusion or cover up.

Seems the SFA don’t take too kindly to it.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’d agree to an extent, but he branded the SFA liars. In doing so, insinuating some kind of collusion or cover up.

Seems the SFA don’t take too kindly to it.

It probably was just down to the harshness of the words used however it does feel that this might open up other negative comments to potential action.

However at the same time the SFA can’t just allow people in the game to hammer their employees like that and not do anything about it so I am totally unsure if I agree with it or not.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

It probably was just down to the harshness of the words used however it does feel that this might open up other negative comments to potential action.

However at the same time the SFA can’t just allow people in the game to hammer their employees like that and not do anything about it so I am totally unsure if I agree with it or not.

Hes employed by a Scottish club, which is why its happening I'd imagine. If he was just a pundit it wouldn't happen.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes employed by a Scottish club, which is why its happening I'd imagine. If he was just a pundit it wouldn't happen.

Yeah I get that it’s just a bit of a strange scenario.

I’m not sure if this has even happened but what about a chairman or someone like that if they made a comment on the radio? Or someone like Willie Miller who may (or maybe not) be employed in some sort of capacity at Aberdeen?

I don’t really have a side on it as I said earlier I just think it’s pretty interesting.

17 minutes ago, bennett said:

?type=mds-article-620

As much as I like Hagi and his affection for Rangers is clear, he is one in a long list of players that are overpaid and offers little in return. I think it’s best for both if he moves on.

It does seem like a waste playing him in the B team but we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.   If he's still here after the window shuts then it's a tricky one for Clement. 

27 minutes ago, AJF said:

As much as I like Hagi and his affection for Rangers is clear, he is one in a long list of players that are overpaid and offers little in return. I think it’s best for both if he moves on.

Why would it be best for him to move from an overpaid contract?

12 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

Why would it be best for him to move from an overpaid contract?

Because if rumours are to be believed, if he makes a few more appearances he is due a bumper wage increase. Apparently that’s why we have not been playing and won’t be playing him going forward. He is wasted just sitting about doing nothing.

59 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not sure if this has even happened but what about a chairman or someone like that if they made a comment on the radio? Or someone like Willie Miller who may (or maybe not) be employed in some sort of capacity at Aberdeen?

I don't think it's strange. Club employee badmouths officials and they are going to be sanctioned, and that would be the same for chairpersons, managers, whoever. Willie Miller is obviously not employed by Aberdeen. 

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Because if rumours are to be believed, if he makes a few more appearances he is due a bumper wage increase. Apparently that’s why we have not been playing and won’t be playing him going forward. He is wasted just sitting about doing nothing.

So it's in the clubs best interest rather than the players.  I'm sure when he signed the contract that both parties where happy. It isn't in his best interest to lose out on his wages just because the board have regrets now. He isn't at fault here.

6 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

So it's in the clubs best interest rather than the players.  I'm sure when he signed the contract that both parties where happy. It isn't in his best interest to lose out on his wages just because the board have regrets now. He isn't at fault here.

Club always good. Player always bad.

15 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

8 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Club always good. Player always bad.

I never said Hagi was at fault though? I don’t blame him for wanting to stay. I said it would be best for both parties if he moved on though as he is not going to play for us at all if the rumours are true. He won’t get his wage increase and will waste a couple of years of his career.

Rangers have been extremely foolish if they’ve agreed to this new deal (when he was out injured) that nets him a wage increase. I feel you’ve picked something up from my post that I didn’t say.