Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I think he has been miss managed terribly. He's clearly not a captain but no manager has had the stones to reverse it. It's evident he's almost guaranteed to be at fault for a goal when playing up against Maeda yet there appears to have no plans to counter that. Going to a back 3 may have helped prolong his Ibrox career or playing him as a defensive mid seems to have been obvious options to try but he's just been left out to dry as being on the right of a back four as his legs have gone a bit and was never the best positionally.

Can't argue with any of this really

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I think he has been miss managed terribly. He's clearly not a captain but no manager has had the stones to reverse it. It's evident he's almost guaranteed to be at fault for a goal when playing up against Maeda yet there appears to have no plans to counter that. Going to a back 3 may have helped prolong his Ibrox career or playing him as a defensive mid seems to have been obvious options to try but he's just been left out to dry as being on the right of a back four as his legs have gone a bit and was never the best positionally.

Said for a number of seasons he’s a goal of a head start in every derby we play. I read recently in the past few seasons there are 19 goals we have scored that have come from Taverniers mistakes, poor positioning or defensive awareness. It’s a staggering number which he has gotten away with only because of his output at the other end which you can’t argue with is ridiculous, but he doesn’t seem to have that output this season, so far.

He’s not a captain however and not the one Rangers currently need. l’ve said a few times to Rangers fans on here that he would be better suited to playing in midfield however I guess their valid argument is who do they have to replace him with but isn’t Sterling a natural right back?

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, AJF said:

If we don't have a suitable replacement, yes. I've always maintained in his time at Rangers the good outweighed the bad. However, I feel his rapid decline recently is starting to get to that tipping point.

Unfortunately fortunately we are not seeing the Tavernier of 2 or 3 seasons ago.

Dana White Wink GIF by Jake Martella

25 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

What is a captain?

A captains role is far more important in the dressing room. 

I think some of the criticism of Tav not being a good captain gets overstated sometimes.

He is often organising players on the pitch (stuff I appreciate you don't always see from TV coverage), regularly fronts up to the media after poor results and, until more recently, often led by example in terms of driving the team forward, taking responsibility for penalties in high pressure situations etc.

There are obvious weaknesses though, particularly defensively and given that mistakes by defenders often lead to goals, he receives a lot of criticism for that - often warranted.

I also don't think his fitness issues help him with that image either. A few times recently he has struggled to get back after getting up the pitch and it makes him an easy target to be branded lazy.

Now this is not to say he is a great captain or that he couldn't do better or someone else may be better suited, I just think it is sometimes exaggerated.

Edited by AJF

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

What is a captain?

Not sure I agree with that. He doesn’t have to be the best player on the pitch but he has to set the standards on it and be the example

If you look at Tav on Sunday, there were a few times Maeda was past him and he just gave up. I’ve seen him in the past be responsible for a goal and look to find blame elsewhere, you just can’t do that and continue to be the standard. He had the opportunity to learn that from one of the very best examples of it in Gerrard 

Years ago I saw a very insightful interview with Gerrard talking about Tav, the basic gist being that when SG arrived Tav seemed to be of a mindset that beating his man was the required benchmark.

SG (he says) disabused him of that notion and that the benchmark should really be that he beat his performance from the last time out.

Age/experience certainly play a part but I think it no coincidence that we saw the best of him through that period. 

14 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not sure I agree with that. He doesn’t have to be the best player on the pitch but he has to set the standards on it and be the example

If you look at Tav on Sunday, there were a few times Maeda was past him and he just gave up. I’ve seen him in the past be responsible for a goal and look to find blame elsewhere, you just can’t do that and continue to be the standard. He had the opportunity to learn that from one of the very best examples of it in Gerrard 

An armband is a piece of material.

13 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

He plays 34 games that aren't against Celtic where he does everything you want a captain to do and sets the standard. It's ridiculous how often Rangers have struggled in games against other sides and it's him who's popped up with something from nothing to swing momentum their way.

I know you're a Celtic fan, so like fans of every club you view it through the prism of your own club, but it's not a fair judgement of him you're making due to the biases involved.

5 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

What is a captain?

Don’t think it’s even that.  It’s about being good with kids at open days and school visits.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Don’t think it’s even that.  It’s about being good with kids at open days and school visits.  

Roy Keane said the biggest responsibility he had as captain was making sure new players and their families were settled in.

If it wasn't that, it was sorting everyone's comps 🤣

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He plays 34 games that aren't against Celtic where he does everything you want a captain to do and sets the standard. It's ridiculous how often Rangers have struggled in games against other sides and it's him who's popped up with something from nothing to swing momentum their way.

I know you're a Celtic fan, so like fans of every club you view it through the prism of your own club, but it's not a fair judgement of him you're making due to the biases involved.

I think that's the problem though, when it comes to the 'six pointers' he's arguably a liability. When you need leadership the most the guy can't organise his own positioning let alone that of others. That's not captain material. He's a guy who should be left to concentrate on his own game.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think that's the problem though, when it comes to the 'six pointers' he's arguably a liability. When you need leadership the most the guy can't organise his own positioning let alone that of others. That's not captain material. He's a guy who should be left to concentrate on his own game.

Why would the right back be sorting positioning?

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Why would the right back be sorting positioning?

Admittedly it usually comes from elsewhere but at the same time your captain shouldn't be seen as the weak link for it.

I'm coming across now as slating the guy now but hes the typical player that often stays at Celtic/Rangers for so long in that there is an obvious fault as to why he's not gone elsewhere despite dominating games domestically. His fault is exactly why he shouldn't be a captain, I get why they gave it to him initially but it's not worked out.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Admittedly it usually comes from elsewhere but at the same time your captain shouldn't be seen as the weak link for it.

I'm coming across now as slating the guy now but hes the typical player that often stays at Celtic/Rangers for so long in that there is an obvious fault as to why he's not gone elsewhere despite dominating games domestically. His fault is exactly why he shouldn't be a captain, I get why they gave it to him initially but it's not worked out.

renews cbs GIF

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Roy Keane said the biggest responsibility he had as captain was making sure new players and their families were settled in.

If it wasn't that, it was sorting everyone's comps 🤣

What about the coin toss? Roy Keane must have been a shite captain.