Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

28 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Don’t disagree that we need our better players playing up here.

Regarding comparisons with McStay. One for another time but I think McStay was miles ahead of McGregor and indeed Ferguson.

If McStay was playing today, it wouldn’t be ‘top 6’ we’d be talking about it’d be ‘top 2’.

An absolutely wonderful footballer.

You also thought Morelos would go for millions wee man,keeping it on point, Sevco have nobody on the same level as McGregor or a captain that can take a game and drive the team to victory.
The reason I mentioned Ferguson was because he was probably the last one to do it for Rangers,IMO that's what they need.

16 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

You also thought Morelos would go for millions wee man,keeping it on point, Sevco have nobody on the same level as McGregor or a captain that can take a game and drive the team to victory.
The reason I mentioned Ferguson was because he was probably the last one to do it for Rangers,IMO that's what they need.

Morelos has a terrible attitude and has fitness issues. It’s no surprise his most successful spell was in Scotland.

I don’t think anyone genuinely thought he was going for millions.

Enjoy your day.

Rangers, or any Scottish club for that matter, would find it extremely difficult to hold onto a player like Ferguson nowadays, and even Celtic with McGregor to an extent.

We see it often enough that any youth player that shows any glimmer of potential gets snapped up by bigger clubs before they’ve even left their teens. The landscape has changed.

We’ve seen it with players like Gilmour, Patterson and Wilson of late with them going to Chelsea, Everton and Villa as teenagers.

The you add in others such as Doak, Hepburn, Doig, Hickey and countless others. Any sort of special talent won’t remain in Scotland.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

I'm struggling to even think what significant fault he has? He's also proven at European and international level he can hack it too.  A terrible suggestion, James Forrest would more be one I would be thinking of if your looking at Celtic.

IMO he doesn't have what you need defensively for the very top level. You have to either be quick or strong enough to hold off midfielders running past you and at the very top level he's not got enough of either. He doesn't offset that weakness by being great in the final third either. Not creative enough or goalscoring enough.

He's one of those kind of niche CMs who needs to play as an 8 in any side that's not utterly ball dominant IMO so I'm not sure any club willing to pay for him would be willing to pay what he was worth to Celtic.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/341597-9-demands-for-the-attention-of-the-rangers-board-open-letter-part-3/

An open letter to the Rangers board from a self proclaimed 'Big Robert'.

Written in the classic Glasgow jakey, SuperScoreBoard genre, 'Rangers Football Club' makes 3 appearances and the classic 'Mr' makes 7 appearances.

A bombastic and ridiculously long-winded way to say "boooooooooooooo".

This could have been an unread email.

If this is the 'latest and hopefully final draft' we can only wonder how many spelling mistakes and grammatical errors were in previous drafts.  I'm not defending their Board, who do seem to have performed poorly.  However, it does smack of a whine from a small child who can't understand why their skint Mummy and Daddy won't buy them more expensive presents at Christmas time.

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

Rangers, or any Scottish club for that matter, would find it extremely difficult to hold onto a player like Ferguson nowadays, and even Celtic with McGregor to an extent.

We see it often enough that any youth player that shows any glimmer of potential gets snapped up by bigger clubs before they’ve even left their teens. The landscape has changed.

We’ve seen it with players like Gilmour, Patterson and Wilson of late with them going to Chelsea, Everton and Villa as teenagers.

The you add in others such as Doak, Hepburn, Doig, Hickey and countless others. Any sort of special talent won’t remain in Scotland.

I think it's too easy to put a list of players like that because they have left and not look at the players in the league that have stayed.
Doig and Hickey were already playing first team football plus so was McGinn, to say the landscape has changed is nonsense M8.Plus did Hepburn not come back to play with Queens park?

Edited by willywastecoat

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/341597-9-demands-for-the-attention-of-the-rangers-board-open-letter-part-3/

An open letter to the Rangers board from a self proclaimed 'Big Robert'.

Written in the classic Glasgow jakey, SuperScoreBoard genre, 'Rangers Football Club' makes 3 appearances and the classic 'Mr' makes 7 appearances.

A bombastic and ridiculously long-winded way to say "boooooooooooooo".

This could have been an unread email.

I'm very disappointed that everyone seems to acknowledge how silly it is.

33 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm very disappointed that everyone seems to acknowledge how silly it is.

I'm very disappointed that there is no mention of brown brogues, the blue pound, Trigger's Broom FC and how fantastically well they've done in only 12 years.

3 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

I think it's too easy to put a list of players like that because they have left and not look at the players in the league that have stayed.
Doig and Hickey were already playing first team football plus so was McGinn, to say the landscape has changed is nonsense M8.Plus did Hepburn not come back to play with Queens park?

I think it has, although maybe it’s just my perception. There seems to be a lot more occasions of young academy prospects getting snapped up to go into academies elsewhere than there use to be.

Of course there will be exceptions where players do establish themselves in Scotland and develop before earning a big move e.g. Lewis Ferguson and McGinn as you mention. I just feel it’s more frequent now where big clubs can come in and cherry pick the best young talent before they’ve even broken into a first team up here.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

Celtic/Rangers would help themselves by actually providing a pathway, though.

If your 16/17 and have an offer from Celtic/Rangers, or an offer 3 times higher to join an English club, you're going for the money as you know either way it'll be 3-4 years and likely some loans before you'll be playing for them.

Clubs have been after Lennon Miller for years upon years yet he stayed at Motherwell because he knew he'd play games there as early as possible. Compare him to Bailey Rice who's at you and festering in the B team because his dad's a massive Rangers fan, or someone like Matthew Anderson who seems more than good enough to play top flight football but Celtic, again, have him rotting in the Lowland League.

On McGregor I’m sure he could, if he had wanted to, could’ve forced a move to a Burnley, Fulham yo-yo club if he really wanted to. Or someone like Everton, a bottom 6/8 EPL club.

There are plenty of players worse than McGregor who have played EPL so for me he probably has had the opportunity to test himself against better players every week but just maybe not for a “top” EPL team. 

I don’t mean this as a slight on McGregor or James McArthur but McGregor is at least at the same level if not better and McArthur played plenty of EPL games.

Just because Spurs, Newcastle or whoever the current 4th-8th clubs don’t want you doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough to play in that league.

13 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

On McGregor I’m sure he could, if he had wanted to, could’ve forced a move to a Burnley, Fulham yo-yo club if he really wanted to. Or someone like Everton, a bottom 6/8 EPL club.

There are plenty of players worse than McGregor who have played EPL so for me he probably has had the opportunity to test himself against better players every week but just maybe not for a “top” EPL team. 

I don’t mean this as a slight on McGregor or James McArthur but McGregor is at least at the same level if not better and McArthur played plenty of EPL games.

Just because Spurs, Newcastle or whoever the current 4th-8th clubs don’t want you doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough to play in that league.

Callum McGregor is not a top 6 EPL player because if he was that good then he would be one. He is good enough to have played in the EPL because lesser players have played in it.

The prove is in the fact that he hasn't went there. Almost 99% of players want to play at the highest level they can and 99.9% of players will play at the highest level they can get paid at. McGregor is on around £37k a week at Celtic, the average EPL salary is around £75k. A top 6 midfielder will be on even more. No way McGregor is turning that down if he could get it.

Also his current manager liked him so much he signed 3 centre midfielders at Leicester when he knew all about McGregor and what he was worth but still didn't try to take him.

He is a very good player and I would have liked to have seen him tested at that level.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Callum McGregor is not a top 6 EPL player because if he was that good then he would be one. He is good enough to have played in the EPL because lesser players have played in it.

The prove is in the fact that he hasn't went there. Almost 99% of players want to play at the highest level they can and 99.9% of players will play at the highest level they can get paid at. McGregor is on around £37k a week at Celtic, the average EPL salary is around £75k. A top 6 midfielder will be on even more. No way McGregor is turning that down if he could get it.

Also his current manager liked him so much he signed 3 centre midfielders at Leicester when he knew all about McGregor and what he was worth but still didn't try to take him.

He is a very good player and I would have liked to have seen him tested at that level.

That might be the average salary but clubs at the bottom end aren’t going to be offering that to McGregor if you ask me. Maybe more around £40-50k possibly.

He might never have had a firm offer at all right enough but I would have imagined if his agent put it out that he wanted a move that someone would’ve tried.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If your 16/17 and have an offer from Celtic/Rangers, or an offer 3 times higher to join an English club, you're going for the money as you know either way it'll be 3-4 years and likely some loans before you'll be playing for them.

Clubs have been after Lennon Miller for years upon years yet he stayed at Motherwell because he knew he'd play games there as early as possible. Compare him to Bailey Rice who's at you and festering in the B team because his dad's a massive Rangers fan, or someone like Matthew Anderson who seems more than good enough to play top flight football but Celtic, again, have him rotting in the Lowland League.

Aye.

David Turnbull turned down all the 'big' clubs in Scotland when he was in the Motherwell youth system as well.

There's a clear pathway to the first team there. If you are good enough, you will play.

5 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Aye.

David Turnbull turned down all the 'big' clubs in Scotland when he was in the Motherwell youth system as well.

There's a clear pathway to the first team there. If you are good enough, you will play.

But we all know this is the real reason they want B teams at as high a level as possible. So they can have their cake and eat it. So they don’t have to pay Motherwell £3m for a David Turnbull. 

So they are perfectly conscious of it, they just don’t want to change their approach to their first team. 

23 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think they certainly would. However my argument was more a wider one in terms of keeping players in the league at a young age. I don’t think it’s just a Rangers and Celtic issue. We’ve just seen St Mirren lose a highly rated youth player to Wolves, as an example.

I suppose my overall point isn’t about a lack of first team opportunities, more so that it seems there are many that get snapped up nowadays before they’re even ready for a first team in Scotland.

Edited by AJF

49 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think they certainly would. However my argument was more a wider one in terms of keeping players in the league at a young age. I don’t think it’s just a Rangers and Celtic issue. We’ve just seen St Mirren lose a highly rated youth player to Wolves, as an example.

I suppose my overall point isn’t about a lack of first team opportunities, more so that it seems there are many that get snapped up nowadays before they’re even ready for a first team in Scotland.

Teams like St Mirren, and ourselves (we've lost a 16yo to Arsenal who coincidentally rejected you and Celtic) have no chance.

The money + facilities + quality of coaching provided is just miles beyond what we can dream of.

Celtic and Rangers are such a big draw in this country, and have the financial means to have top quality youth set ups, that while they will suffer it too, they should still have functional youth systems, which is probably a different point than you're making tbf.

If Rory Wilson knew he'd be playing for Rangers at 19 then I think he'd have stayed instead of moving, and realistically he shouldve been getting chances to play for you by 18.

Archie Stevens will be the next big talent you "lose", because he simply won't get a chance.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 09/09/2024 at 08:14, ahemps said:

I thought the whole if he could play at that level he would be playing at the level take was debunked with Henrik Larsson since it was all that was ever written and said about the man by rival fans until he actually went and done it. 

Now I’m not suggesting Callum could hack it in a top 6 team, I’m genuinely unsure if he could however never in a million years did I think John McGinn would be one of the star men in a Champions League Villa team. Charlie Adam was another who was a bit of a surprise when he got the Liverpool move.

But isn’t that why we love football for the players who surprise us now and then?