Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

1 hour ago, Spring Onion said:

Surely there are not many champions of their leagues end up in the Europa league is there?

There will be far more this year. Four CL qualifying rounds, each with an EL parachute.

3 hours ago, Spring Onion said:

Surely there are not many champions of their leagues end up in the Europa league is there?

Last year there were 16 teams straight into the group stage, 22 from the play-off round, and 10 losers from the UCL play-off round (48 total).

This year there will be 17 teams straight into the group stage, 8 from the play-off round (champions path), 13 from the play-off round (league path), 4 losers from the UCL play-off round (champions path), 2 losers from the UCL play-off round (league path), and 2 losers from the UCL third qualifying round (league path).

Bold indicates the route Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs can progress through, underline for Celtic. Basically, the UEL league path places have been squeezed out in favour of teams dropping down from the UCL.

Thats probably good then. Could really do with getting somehow 2 at the least or even three teams through to various group stages. It would be very good to watch some group games with lots of Scottish interest. 
That's not going to happen. Uefa have rigged it.

On 6/19/2018 at 19:18, Spring Onion said:

Thats probably good then. Could really do with getting somehow 2 at the least or even three teams through to various group stages. It would be very good to watch some group games with lots of Scottish interest. 

There are 48 places in the Europa League group stage.

17 of them are filled automatically.

10 are filled by teams dropping out of the Champions League.

That leaves 21 places for the 178 teams trying to qualify, of whom 37 come from Champions League qualification.

Sorry, but it will take an incredible series of performances for any of the Scottish teams other than Celtic to make the group stage of either of the competitions. In fact, we'd probably be better off without taking part in Europa League qualification at all.

Agreed.

Would be fantastic for a number of small to medium countries to decline to send representatives into the CL/EL in protest at the utterly farcical carve up it has become.

Then all the fanboys can watch Bayern v Barczzzzzzz forever.

37 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

And yes I know there's a few quid to be made from even participating but have some pride, lads.

Well you'll not have to worry too much about Europe:whistle  the mighty Pie and Beans on the other hand are regulars. Well once! ;)

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

There are 48 places in the Europa League group stage.

17 of them are filled automatically.

10 are filled by teams dropping out of the Champions League.

That leaves 21 places for the 178 teams trying to qualify, of whom 37 come from Champions League qualification.

Sorry, but it will take an incredible series of performances for any of the Scottish teams other than Celtic to make the group stage of either of the competitions. In fact, we'd probably be better off without taking part in Europa League qualification at all.

Unfortunately it's even worse than that, as there's now a separate pathway for CL drop-outs... only 13 places are for clubs in EL qualifying.

Basically:
* 17 automatic
* 10 drop-outs from CL QR4 (and non-champions QR3)
* 8 from CL drop-outs pathway
* 13 from EL qualifiers pathway

There are 141 clubs playing down for 13 slots. Only 13 join in QR3; none join in QR4.

EDIT: Worth adding - the 2 losers of CL non-champions QR2, not being champions, join EL qualifiers pathway at QR3. This will be PAOK/Basle + Ajax/Sturm Graz.

So perhaps only 11 or 12 slots will actually end-up being the victorious survivors of 141 EL qualifying entrants.

What we're really saying is only 11/12/13 slots in EL groupstage will go to EL qualifying clubs.

Edited by HibeeJibee

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unfortunately it's even worse than that, as there's now a separate pathway for CL drop-outs... only 13 places are for clubs in EL qualifying.

Basically:
* 17 automatic
* 10 drop-outs from CL QR4 (and non-champions QR3)
* 8 from CL drop-outs pathway
* 13 from EL qualifiers pathway

There are 141 clubs playing down for 13 slots. Only 13 join in QR3; none join in QR4.

EDIT: Worth adding - the 2 losers of CL non-champions QR2, not being champions, join EL qualifiers pathway at QR3. This will be PAOK/Basle + Ajax/Sturm Graz.

So perhaps only 11 or 12 slots will actually end-up being the victorious survivors of 141 EL qualifying entrants.

What we're really saying is only 11/12/13 slots in EL groupstage will go to EL qualifying clubs.

I was trying not to over-complicate it any further, but you're right, EL qualifiers can't get as many places as I said because of that Champions Path.

Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers would probably be much better off giving their players a longer break and having a decent pre-season. The trips are great for fans, but from a football perspective and in the interests of the whole season I'd rather be in the league cup group stage than the EL qualifiers.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers would probably be much better off giving their players a longer break and having a decent pre-season. The trips are great for fans, but from a football perspective and in the interests of the whole season I'd rather be in the league cup group stage than the EL qualifiers.

I think the players would disagree.

The EL qualifying Scottish sides should definitely be making at least the 3rd round the vast majority of the time. Sometimes you'll get unlucky with the draw like Aberdeen have this season but that should be the minimum target for all sides.

39 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

I think the players would disagree.

If you offered them the chance of three weeks' more holiday and no trips to teams you need to Google in the Baltic or the Balkans? I'm not so sure. 

Just now, GordonS said:

If you offered them the chance of three weeks' more holiday and no trips to teams you need to Google in the Baltic or the Balkans? I'm not so sure. 

Doubt it really. I know it isn't close to the level you'd think of when you hear "European football" but these guys still want to be playing in these guys if they are at all professional.

1 minute ago, Forest of Dean said:

Doubt it really. I know it isn't close to the level you'd think of when you hear "European football" but these guys still want to be playing in these guys if they are at all professional.

I bow to your superior personal knowledge of the preferences of professional footballers.

Just now, GordonS said:

I bow to your superior personal knowledge of the preferences of professional footballers.

It's not just coming from nowhere - based on their statements in media outlets even after they have retired. Now you could say they might be playing to the gallery but if they have already retired I'd bet they are much more candid.

On 23/06/2018 at 14:50, GordonS said:

I was trying not to over-complicate it any further, but you're right, EL qualifiers can't get as many places as I said because of that Champions Path.

Aberdeen have a longer break being in Europe over the League Cup group stage.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Aberdeen have a longer break being in Europe over the League Cup group stage.

True.

It was most amusing last season when Rangers ended up scrabbling around trying to set up friendlies after failing to make Progres. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Not a bad start to the coefficiant points tally. EL teams next.

16 points in total last season, with 12.5 from Celtic. Hopefully we can make it 6 wins from the 6 first round games - we should score more points than last season if Celtic get to the group stages again and UEL QR2 produces a couple of wins/draw.