Premier League 2016-2017

I'd rather have Williams than Stones, for the next couple of years at least. A great piece of business. Stones will do better at Man City because they will have lots of possession and defend much higher up the park, which plays to his strengths and hides his weaknesses. At Everton his inability to actually defend as part of a defensive unit was regularly shown up.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone addressed the fact that Pogba isn't really that brilliant?  He'll do well against a lot of the dross of the Premier League, much like he has done against the dross of Serie A, but as soon as it gets to a big game you'll see his Steven Gerrard inspired "me me me" performances shown up by competent opposing midfielders.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In fairness I have seen a good few pundits pouring cold water on this saying he is clearly a lad with huge potential and ability but he is not the finished article to justify, sonfar as you can ever justify, a fee like that. I do womder £100 mill wouldnt have turned Barca and Messi's head?

Barcelona would laugh for four days straight at a £100 million bid for Messi, and then, when they were done laughing, tell whoever had made it to get a fucking grip of themselves. With the obscene amounts of money involved in the Premier League being no secret to anyone, If an English club wanted to try and sign Messi they'd be told to double it, and it'd still likely be rejected to try and squeeze more out of them.

Pogba will absolutely stroll the Premier League, including the 'big games'. Head and shoulders above any other centre mid in the country. If Man U lose those games, it'll be down to their questionable defence and lack of width.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Has anyone addressed the fact that Pogba isn't really that brilliant?  He'll do well against a lot of the dross of the Premier League, much like he has done against the dross of Serie A, but as soon as it gets to a big game you'll see his Steven Gerrard inspired "me me me" performances shown up by competent opposing midfielders.

I agree with this, always been completely underwhelmed by him whenever I've seen him. I'd have had someone of his ability at around £30-40 million in the current climate, but I suppose you are worth what someone will pay for you. They'd have been far, far better off using that money to buy another top class centre back and right back, and they'd still have £20-30 million left over!

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Barnsley make a tidy sum aswell from the stones transfer

On a related note, as stupid as this probably sounds, will Man Utd get any sell-on fee for Pogba?

Edit: A quick google shows that he left on a free and they money they got was compensaion, for some reason i thought they sold him to Juve.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

On a related note, as stupid as this probably sounds, will Man Utd get any sell-on fee for Pogba?

That's something I've always been curious about too. You'd imagine the percentage of the sell-on fee would merely be removed from the transfer fee for ease, but guess it would depend on how the full fee was actually made up, i.e performance clauses, appearance clauses, etc.

Gerard showed up in plenty of big games..? Or am I reading that wrong.

Anyway Pogba is a good signing, some sum of money though, although it's nothing to a club like United these days. Scary stuff. Still live in hope that the arse will burst right out of that league one day, money is just getting absolutely obscene. £50 mill for Stones. :lol:

From a commercial standpoint the pogba deal almost pays for itself in image rights and income generated.

He's one of the biggest 'stars' in world football and he he everything United have lacked recently on the park. He'll also head up almost all of adidas advertising deals from now on in.

The 'he's not worth it, it's crazy' chat comes from people who clearly don't understand that a transfer fee for a player isn't always an indication of their ability but the overall package and obviously supply vs demand - IMO there's no 'star' midfielder out there who could generate the income pogba will as well as offering what he can on the field.

You'd be pretty pissed off if you were an Arsenal fan right now.  All of your rivals spending big and your being linked with Johnny Evans :lol:.  They will not win the league again until Wenger goes and they bring someone in willing to spend.  

6 minutes ago, tintax said:

You'd be pretty pissed off if you were an Arsenal fan right now.  All of your rivals spending big and your being linked with Johnny Evans :lol:.  They will not win the league again until Wenger goes and they bring someone in willing to spend.  

They've spent £35 million on Granit Xhaka already and are trying to sign defensive cover in the form of a solid, if unspectacular Premier League centre half who's won that league numerous times to join the three other centre halves they have. On the basis of last season's form I'd far rather have Johnny Evans than I would John Stones as well (Stones, potential, blah, blah, I know. Current form).

If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be slightly worried that they hadn't signed a striker to replace / compete with Giroud. Problem is though, which top striker is actually available and willing to move to Arsenal? Is Lacazette a vast improvement? I don't think so. They bid for Vardy, and that didn't happen. It's quite evident that Wenger spends money when the right player is available (Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka), the problem arises when there are no players of the required ability available or willing.

5 hours ago, Gaviliunas said:

All this pogba stuff is cringeworthy. The minter to end all minters, spending £89 million on a guy you let go for free.

They didn't let him go for free. They wanted him to stay and offered him a new contract but he didn't sign it and instead signed a deal with Juventus.

£89M is still a crazy price regardless. Immaterial of whether they'll make so much of it back on commercial deals. So is Stones for £50M, but then the same kind of stuff was said last year when it was De Bruyne and Sterling for around £50M. Every year it just gets even more stupid, and none of the players are worth it.

52 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Man United obviously didn't watch any of France's matches at the Euros if they still decided to spend that on Pogba. He was very average throughout the tournament.

Maybe they watched the dozens of matches where he was a key player in a team winning trophies and making European finals and decided seven games weren't a fair reflection of his ability.

48 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Maybe they watched the dozens of matches where he was a key player in a team winning trophies and making European finals and decided seven games weren't a fair reflection of his ability.

Maybe they also recognised that he was played out of position a lot of the time too.

Archived