Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Anyone who thinks Strachan is getting the best from his players should be forced to watch the double header against Lithuania and Slovakia again. And if they dont get it after that, they should be forced to watch it on a loop until their mind is irrepairably damaged. Twice should be sufficient.

Careful what you wish for. Chic on Sportsound has been touting Jim Duffy for the gig. Wee Houstie would be a better shout if we're after a Scottish Championship manager to try to recreate Craig Brown's days.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Careful what you wish for. Chic on Sportsound has been touting Jim Duffy for the gig. Wee Houstie would be a better shout if we're after a Scottish Championship manager to try to recreate Craig Brown's days.

The frightening thing was that he appeared to have a consensus of those on the show 

12 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He's not going, is he? :(

Why would he? He lets McGhee liaise with Parkhead & the SFA as to which Celtic players they want capped while he plays golf in the sun, showing up for the odd bit of training and matches with zero expectation on him in terms of results. He seemingly doesn't even need to make an effort for the press. Cushiest gig ever.

Strachan absolutely has to go, but the idea that he's too loyal to English based players and ignorant to Scottish based players is ridiculous. If anything he's been too loyal to them, in the last game alone preferring Forrest, Wallace and Gordon to superior options.

It's not actually a desirable attribute to have in any prospective Scotland manager.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Why would he? He lets McGhee liaise with Parkhead & the SFA as to which Celtic players they want capped while he plays golf in the sun, showing up for the odd bit of training and matches with zero expectation on him in terms of results. He seemingly doesn't even need to make an effort for the press. Cushiest gig ever.

His last couple of post match interviews have been a disgrace, all that it's not about me shite, if you're big enough to take big man wages your big enough to give big man answers.

It's actually embarrassing watching that knob representing our country in such a cowardly fashion.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

Well it would be for future campaigns.  Every point we get contributes to improving our seeding so that we don't get into the state where we're 5th seeds again.  We're not going to qualify, but I'd sure rather finish 3rd and not qualify than 5th.

I'm not saying we shouldn't change things, I was purely talking about the argument of "it couldn't get worse", because it very easily could.  We need to make the right decision, rather than just a decision.

Not really what I said, was it?  We need to be making sure the next guy is better, rather than going into it thinking "ach well, it couldn't get much worse, we can put anyone in the job", which is probably closer to how the SFA see it.

Eh?  Where did I say it was?  But obviously, avoiding defeat is better than an actual defeat.

A helluva lot of people seem to be misquoting you, don't you think?

First up, using fear of the unknown as reason to continue with a failure syphoning almost a million quid a year is exactly the self-defeating sort of pish which some of us will never let go of. Any reason you bring to the discussion disappears with that outlook. 

Secondly, you've been obsessed over pots for as long as i can remember. What single relevance do they have at all? Neither Wales or NI have been remotely harmed in the long-run by slipping into the bottom pot or two; indeed, whilst in those brackets, NI defeated England, Spain, Sweden and Poland. Whilst we have danced around three and four, rolling over to be tickled when the players think they have given enough. Are you seriously telling me you'd be more concerned about our qualifying abilities than now? We're not even in a position to want to shitfest our way into challenging, so whats the fucking difference? 

Would you be more embarrassed at sharing a pot with those diddy nations, than you are about current results? I have no idea why....it's the least this mob deserve. 

Just now, Officer Barbrady said:

A helluva lot of people seem to be misquoting you, don't you think?

First up, using fear of the unknown as reason to continue with a failure syphoning almost a million quid a year is exactly the self-defeating sort of pish which some of us will never let go of. Any reason you bring to the discussion disappears with that outlook. 

Secondly, you've been obsessed over pots for as long as i can remember. What single relevance do they have at all? Neither Wales or NI have been remotely harmed in the long-run by slipping into the bottom pot or two; indeed, whilst in those brackets, NI defeated England, Spain, Sweden and Poland. Whilst we have danced around three and four, rolling over to be tickled when the players think they have given enough. Are you seriously telling me you'd be more concerned about our qualifying abilities than now? We're not even in a position to want to shitfest our way into challenging, so whats the fucking difference? 

Would you be more embarrassed at sharing a pot with those diddy nations, than you are about current results? I have no idea why....it's the least this mob deserve. 

Well, when you're starting by continuing the idea that I'm suggesting we just stick with Strachan, then aye, I think people are misquoting me.

As for pots, are you actually being serious?  Can you really not see why being in a higher pot might actually benefit us?  You're essentially saying "we're shit in pot 3, so we'll be shit in whatever pot we'll be."  And I'm the self-defeating one... :rolleyes:

As for your last point, I wouldn't care who was in our pot - the only thing that really doesn't matter, as they won't affect us any more - but getting there would probably involve far more embarrassing results.

All in all, word salad.  1/10.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Well, when you're starting by continuing the idea that I'm suggesting we just stick with Strachan, then aye, I think people are misquoting me.

As for pots, are you actually being serious?  Can you really not see why being in a higher pot might actually benefit us?  You're essentially saying "we're shit in pot 3, so we'll be shit in whatever pot we'll be."  And I'm the self-defeating one... :rolleyes:

As for your last point, I wouldn't care who was in our pot - the only thing that really doesn't matter, as they won't affect us any more - but getting there would probably involve far more embarrassing results.

All in all, word salad.  1/10.

If thats what it takes, and it looks very possible it might happen this time, then so be it. We are easy-beat, uncompetitive, dull, uninspiring, cowardly, and completely devoid of passion or application. Dropping a pot or two doesn't make a single thing of this worse; we're out of this group even quicker than the last one, but it may force actions if the drop does materialise.

I don't recognise that team or that manager as representatives of the country i want to be a part of, and i'm not alone. The only thing left is the players' individual reputations, but as Gordon Parks put it, who fucking cares? 

It really won't make one bit of difference, however much that it should. 

If thats what it takes, and it looks very possible it might happen this time, then so be it. We are easy-beat, uncompetitive, dull, uninspiring, cowardly, and completely devoid of passion or application. Dropping a pot or two doesn't make a single thing of this worse; we're out of this group even quicker than the last one, but it may force actions if the drop does materialise.

I don't recognise that team or that manager as representatives of the country i want to be a part of, and i'm not alone. The only thing left is the players' individual reputations, but as Gordon Parks put it, who fucking cares? 

Dropping a pot or two doesn't make things worse - except that it literally does.

Literally.

Have to say I agree that pots are merely one of the lesser of the evils we face right now. Yes, I'd rather we didn't plummet into pot 5, but I'd hate for us to freeze or tarry over change because of it. In theory, we should only be following through with any potential change (of manager, style, emphasis, youth system or whatever) if we're confident that it will deliver a bounce or a long term gain that can redress any decline in pot placing.
Barbrady makes a fair point re Wales and NI hardly being shackled in pot 5 forever just because they were there once.

Have to say I agree that pots are merely one of the lesser of the evils we face right now. Yes, I'd rather we didn't plummet into pot 5, but I'd hate for us to freeze or tarry over change because of it. In theory, we should only be following through with any potential change (of manager, style, emphasis, youth system or whatever) if we're confident that it will deliver a bounce or a long term gain that can redress any decline in pot placing.
Barbrady makes a fair point re Wales and NI hardly being shackled in pot 5 forever just because they were there once.

Not shackled forever but it made it harder. You need to a bit more luck when it comes to the draws (but of course even a pot 1 team can pull out a group of death scenario).

I don't really see it as one or the other. You've surely got to believe that whatever decision you make is going to bring about the most success.

Sometimes going backwards to go forwards clearly happens - but in this sense you don't really plan for it.

5 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

It does. It makes it more difficult to qualify next time around.

This is a ridiculous argument.

10 minutes ago, S7C said:

It does. It makes it more difficult to qualify next time around.

This is a ridiculous argument.

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Dropping a pot or two doesn't make things worse - except that it literally does.

Literally.

Its not our biggest problem right now, as Gordy correctly illustrates. My point here, is that we're no longer even 'nearly men'.....since defeat to England in 1999, we have played two meaningful final-round fixtures with our own results in our own hands, and a further two whereby needing massive, massive favours to sneak a playoff spot, even if we got our result (we failed on both counts). That this is seen as a success, over eight campaigns, does nothing whatsoever to give any sort of momentum or proper structure in looking to improve.....we're continually unlucky, ref was a dick, etc. A complete false flag. 

Pandy makes a point about planning.....you simply cannot plan for anything at all, which has been a horrendous error of judgement of late from Strachan, especially when assuming Germany would steamroller Eire. Any planning by Wales, Eire, Iceland, NI or Albania would largely have manifested itself after two or three good results, certainly not before. It's also applying a false science where it's completely out of place....and panicking about something as subjective as a seeding, is definitely scraping the barrel. 

If we appointed a manager, who came in, juggled things around, and our rank tumbled as a result, its really not the end of the world. Those crying out for retaining whatever 'status' we have, are largely the same ones scratching their head about the sporting nature of the game, and a wee team genuinely preparing to turn over a big one, as opposed to having the game played by the number of the balls they came out of. 

Even at that, Scotland have played most of their best football in the last few years against better teams.....still pish results, mind, but against 'smaller' teams, we look increasingly clueless.....i couldn't tell you the last 4th/5th seed we actually dominated and exerted any sort of control over. 

Neither am i suggesting it as a serious consideration to flunk games just to get a lower seeding, tbh it seems the team are flunking well enough under their own steam without ideas from others. I just don't think its anywhere near as important as is being discussed, especially when removal if a shite manager is at its' core. 

Archived