Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Apparently he's away to Portugal for a week to consider whether he'd like to stay on or not.

Poor guy. Weight of the world on his shoulders as he must know we have no chance if he leaves. How will we cope without him?!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd take Duffy for 2 reasons.

He's an ex-Dee - YASSSS. I think everyone knows my feelings on ex Dee's.

Secondly and more importantly, it'd give the very absolute confirmation that the SFA are taking the piss out of the fans.

In more serious matters, O'Neil didn't distance himself as much as I thought he would from the job all things considered. Get him tapped up.

I was surprised by this last point as well. He was very careful in his words.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

In more serious matters, O'Neil didn't distance himself as much as I thought he would from the job all things considered. Get him tapped up.

Today's paper says it would take £750k just to buy-out his new contract with NI.

Add whatever it would take to sack Strachan, given his new contract, and that's actually quite a big hit.

Lets say it's just the same - you can build or upgrade lots of facilities, train lots of coaches, put lots of kids through performance school, etc. etc. with £1,500,000.

Today's paper says it would take £750k just to buy-out his new contract with NI.

Add whatever it would take to sack Strachan, given his new contract, and that's actually quite a big hit.

Lets say it's just the same - you can build or upgrade lots of facilities, train lots of coaches, put lots of kids through performance school, etc. etc. with £1,500,000.

Playing Devil's Advocate but I reckon you'd benefit more through a savvy appointment that it'd take us to a Euro's/WC than a straight up £1.5 million cash boost.

I'll bow down to your superior knowledge on this though as I don't know much about the financials at this sort of level.

I do think we should be pushing the boat out with our next appointment though.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

Fair enough, but I disagree.  Dave mentioned it, but Georgia are a pot 6 side this campaign.  So are Kazakhstan.  Georgia have beaten us twice away and Kazakhstan are one of those horrible trips that we could easily f**k up.  There's a gap between those and the teams like Malta, Gibraltar, San Marino etc, fair enough.  Had Lithuania beaten us, which on another day they very well could have, we'd be 3 points adrift at the bottom, and just three ahead of Malta.  That's demonstrably worse.

And I'd argue that "more of the same" could be considered worse too.  If a new manager comes in and can't make any improvements then it's a complete waste of time.  We can't afford that.

Avoiding defeat to Lithuania would be a success, how?

Reckon we've enough time to stage a coup?

The only way he'd have stayed in the job is if we'd got a positive result at Wembley, I'm not even looking at a draw as a positive result.

He's spent that long talking down our own league, pandering to players from down south who can't even get off the bench, thinking up smart arse sayings and playing golf.

If a journalist had the balls to call him out in his interview, he'd have handed in his notice the next day.

Either Michael O'Neill, or Bielsa please.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Reckon we've enough time to stage a coup?

The only way he'd have stayed in the job is if we'd got a positive result at Wembley, I'm not even looking at a draw as a positive result.

He's spent that long talking down our own league, pandering to players from down south who can't even get off the bench, thinking up smart arse sayings and playing golf.

If a journalist had the balls to call him out in his interview, he'd have handed in his notice the next day.

Either Michael O'Neill, or Bielsa please.

Great post.

It's fucking laughable that he could still be in place, now is the perfect time to spend months looking for the right person then giving them a free pop at 6 serious games to see what they have to work with.

To all those fuckwits in football that keep saying he should stay, he can only work with what he's got and all that other shite, f**k off, teams with similar or lesser squads are doing far better than us, surely that's to the credit of their managers and coaching staff.

If all those pundits clamouring to his defence can honestly say he's getting anywhere near the best out of what he's got, then they know f**k all about football, if they don't honestly think he's getting the best out of what he's got then they're just stealing a wage as a pundit.

Said when given it he was the wrong man for the job. Got abuse.

Said again when he failed the first time. Got abuse.

Was continually shouted down by typical Scots fans who celebrated failure and wanted to keep him.

Now, you turn on him?

The mistake ain't mine.

You've got what you deserve.

f**k you. :thumsup2

2 hours ago, Solitaire said:

Was continually shouted down by typical Scots fans who celebrated failure and wanted to keep him.

Now, you turn on him?

The mistake ain't mine.

This statement delivered by your club said it all. Rangers said this from the very start of Strachan's reign:

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-2-3/

Now, you turn on him?

The mistake ain't mine.

Rangers fans are so angry [emoji1]

7 hours ago, Solitaire said:

Now, you turn on him?

The mistake ain't mine.

Put your knickers on and make me a cup of tea will you sweetheart?

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

But whether we finished 5th or 6th would neither really be here nor there, it's still horrendous and we wouldn't be qualifying. It's certainly not a good enough reason to not change things in the hope we will get better. I'd rather take the risk of getting worse to try to get better, than to just accept finishing 4th or 5th in every campaign.

Well it would be for future campaigns.  Every point we get contributes to improving our seeding so that we don't get into the state where we're 5th seeds again.  We're not going to qualify, but I'd sure rather finish 3rd and not qualify than 5th.

I'm not saying we shouldn't change things, I was purely talking about the argument of "it couldn't get worse", because it very easily could.  We need to make the right decision, rather than just a decision.

12 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

So basically, keep a hold of a horrendous manager because the next guy MIGHT not be better? Seems like a good idea. Cheers for that.

Not really what I said, was it?  We need to be making sure the next guy is better, rather than going into it thinking "ach well, it couldn't get much worse, we can put anyone in the job", which is probably closer to how the SFA see it.

11 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Avoiding defeat to Lithuania would be a success, how?

Eh?  Where did I say it was?  But obviously, avoiding defeat is better than an actual defeat.

Now, you turn on him?

The mistake ain't mine.

Big Solitaire knew.

Just out of interest, who were you touting for Scotland manager at the time and who is your choice now?

Archived