Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reported in the Record that he wants to stay as he believes we can still qualify. Rod Petrie whilst being harassed by journos said he was doing a good job. Jesus wept.

So a shit manager and a fantasist.

I can only hope that the SFA's reticence to take action is because they've had a look and realised that there isn't really anyone they consider a good enough replacement.

I can hope it, doesn't make it true though.  The summer might end up being a better time to look for managers.  If we don't get a win against Slovenia, the already minute chances of qualifying get many degrees more minute, so maybe they'll be less inclined to let him make his own decisions then.  That gives a new manager a few months before a first match against...England.  Ooft.

To be honest, I'd get a caretaker manager in until they can find the right one.  We absolutely must have a settled, competent manager in by the Autumn of 2018 for the games that really matter.

On what fucking planet is it acceptable for an employer to give a failed employee the final decision on whether he gets sacked or not?

^^^^seething  ^^^verge of tears

It says more about the SFA than it does Strachan tbf. He's a contracted employee, it's up to them to take responsibility if they're unhappy with things and it's not as if they don't have plenty of previous for indecision.

Either they're hoping that Strachan makes their decision for them (and why would/should he?) or they are actually content to continue along the path of least resistance and let him get on with things despite an obvious and marked slide in both performances and results. Neither of those scenarios show them in a particularly good light.

god knows where we will go from here , but please at least give us some sort of hope going into the last 5/6 games. 

would like to see Burke given more of a run and hopefully 2 decent centre halves will show up from somewhere!!

Strachan doesn't even particularly seem like he enjoys it or wants it, but I suppose his natural stubbornness won't let him leave.

George Burley got a harder time from the press before he'd even had one game charge. Yet somehow the worse Strachan does, and the more baffling his interviews, the easier a ride he gets. Current and ex-players and managers line up to say how the sun shines out his arse and that actually he's doing a fantastic job, thank you very much.

It's funny hearing folk continuing to plug the 'we can still qualify' line. Aye, there's still 18 points up for grabs, but we'll be lucky to take even half of that. We've won 3 competitive games since the start of 2015 and that's against absolute minnows (Malta and Gibraltar x 2). Talk about defending the indefensible.

42 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

It's funny hearing folk continuing to plug the 'we can still qualify' line. Aye, there's still 18 points up for grabs, but we'll be lucky to take even half of that. We've won 3 competitive games since the start of 2015 and that's against absolute minnows (Malta and Gibraltar x 2). Talk about defending the indefensible.

Indeed. 4 points from our first four matches.
Of the remaining 6 games, and the 18 points available, we can deduct 3 for an England defeat, and prob another 3 for defeat in Slovenia, would mean max points achievable is 16. Not factoring in likely dropped points at home to both Slov sides, very much doubt if that very optimistic points total would get a runner-up spot for the playoffs, and quite frankly we couldn't hope to beat any of the other 7 if we did.
Where does the WGS optimism spring from?

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Malta can still qualify.

I'm not saying we will qualify, but of course we still can.  Until we mathematically can't.  Our group is likely to be the one that misses out on a playoff spot, but I wouldn't say it's nailed-on that England win it.  Slovenia could, Slovakia still could, and by extension we could too.  We're not going to, and when I say we could it's a massive, massive long shot, but that's why he's saying it.

Just shows that he can't really win.  Not too long ago he was being far too negative.  Now when he actually says something positive then he's criticised from the other side.  Had he come out and said we weren't going to qualify,  he'd have got it tight again.

If this report is indeed true  ( which I very much doubt as Strachan has already said he was away to Portugal to mull things over and I can't imagine the lazy journos taking themselves away from social media long enough to travel to Portugal )   then the only conceivable option is for the fans to stop paying for overpriced tickets , stop going to games and hit the SFA where it hurts .  

Obviously the paying public have no say despite a vast majority being fed up with the current situation. Boycotting may be the only way anyone will listen. 

Archived