Gordon Strachan

Elixir

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

You're an absolute tw*t. Would you say that about any other group of people? How would you appreciate it if someone judged your work on the basis that you are an 'inbred Jock moron'? Is there any evidence that people from the Highlands are unusually stupid? Because there's evidence right here that you are.

I happened to criticise a Dundee " legend" . The response is no more than I would expect from someone located  less than 25 miles away and who wouldn't be able to tell you where Brechin is located  ..................... Contrary to belief ,  Brechin is not in the Highlands but  on the edge of the Strathmore valley in Tayside and most likely lower to sea level than parts of Dundee. ;)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I happened to criticise a Dundee " legend" . The response is no more than I would expect from someone located  less than 25 miles away and who wouldn't be able to tell you where Brechin is located  ..................... Contrary to belief ,  Brechin is not in the Highlands but  on the edge of the Strathmore valley in Tayside and most likely lower to sea level than parts of Dundee. ;)

You have no idea where I'm located. I know exactly where Brechin is, and if you're going to use prejudiced stereotypes, at least get the geography right. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

You have no idea where I'm located. I know exactly where Brechin is, and if you're going to use prejudiced stereotypes, at least get the geography right. 

I was actually having a go at the same guy you called a twat. Through experience I would say that at least 50% of the population of Dundee don't know where Brechin is.  I was merely pointing out the location for him as I would imagine he will respond to your post and hopefully see mine .  I realised that you were also using the tuechter stereotype in a sarcastic manner towards him . 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I was actually having a go at the same guy you called a twat. Through experience I would say that at least 50% of the population of Dundee don't know where Brechin is.  I was merely pointing out the location for him as I would imagine he will respond to your post and hopefully see mine .  I realised that you were also using the tuechter stereotype in a sarcastic manner towards him . 

No, no, I was just criticising him, but I made an arse of it when you got involved.

I dislike the teuchter stereotype, it's thinly veiled historical prejudice against Gaelic speakers, which is not ok given they're a cultural minority.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

No, no, I was just criticising him, but I made an arse of it when you got involved.

I dislike the teuchter stereotype, it's thinly veiled historical prejudice against Gaelic speakers, which is not ok given they're a cultural minority.

Ah ok .  I just usually tell them to f**k off .  It is a lot easier and less stressful than getting offended. ;)

They can't do much worse, I'd say.

This is the key, we are currently 5th in a 6 team group. We have assume whoever comes in is going to keep us above the pot 6 teams. The Gibraltars, Lichtensteins, Maltas and Andorras of this world.

Therefore the worst case scenario of changing manager is that it stays the same, we stay in 5th place.

Punting him is a no lose bet, either it improves or the status quo is maintained. Why then, haven't the SFA taken this bet yet? I was expecting the announcement of Strachan's departure by mutual consent this morning.

Just now, Lex said:

Punting him is a no lose bet, either it improves or the status quo is maintained. Why then, haven't the SFA taken this bet yet? I was expecting the announcement of Strachan's departure by mutual consent this morning.

They haven't punted him because 1. He's in a contract which will have to be compensated and 2. They're not very bright.

39 minutes ago, Lex said:

This is the key, we are currently 5th in a 6 team group. We have assume whoever comes in is going to keep us above the pot 6 teams. The Gibraltars, Lichtensteins, Maltas and Andorras of this world.

Therefore the worst case scenario of changing manager is that it stays the same, we stay in 5th place.

You're talking like it's absolutely impossible that Malta could take points off of us.  You even mention Liechtenstein, who were seconds from taking points off us at Hampden.

We've got 4 points so far, until we have 0 then it absolutely could get worse.

You're talking like it's absolutely impossible that Malta could take points off of us.  You even mention Liechtenstein, who were seconds from taking points off us at Hampden.

We've got 4 points so far, until we have 0 then it absolutely could get worse.

I'm not saying that it's impossible they'll take points from us at all. I'm saying that over the course of a campaign, it's surely impossible that a pot 6 team would finish above us. They're almost all part time players at that level.

We are fifth and I can't see us ever finishing sixth in a group. It's either more of the same or an improvement.

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

I'm not saying that it's impossible they'll take points from us at all. I'm saying that over the course of a campaign, it's surely impossible that a pot 6 team would finish above us. They're almost all part time players at that level.

We are fifth and I can't see us ever finishing sixth in a group. It's either more of the same or an improvement.

Georgia are in Pot 6.

'Nuff said.

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

Fair enough, but I disagree.  Dave mentioned it, but Georgia are a pot 6 side this campaign.  So are Kazakhstan.  Georgia have beaten us twice away and Kazakhstan are one of those horrible trips that we could easily f**k up.  There's a gap between those and the teams like Malta, Gibraltar, San Marino etc, fair enough.  Had Lithuania beaten us, which on another day they very well could have, we'd be 3 points adrift at the bottom, and just three ahead of Malta.  That's demonstrably worse.

And I'd argue that "more of the same" could be considered worse too.  If a new manager comes in and can't make any improvements then it's a complete waste of time.  We can't afford that.

Nicholas is a known dickhead, but you can't really argue with what he's saying apart from when he says he doesn't know if we'll get someone in who'll do better.  They can't do much worse, I'd say.

It's also refreshing to see a pundit and former team mate ripping onto him.  Fair play to Nicholas for that.

How is he ripping into him? (I presume the on was a typo)

He's basically said Strachan has had a tough gig, but has had time and it's not working.

That's surely a perfectly reasonable criticism rather than having a proper go at him.

44 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

How is he ripping into him? (I presume the on was a typo)

He's basically said Strachan has had a tough gig, but has had time and it's not working.

That's surely a perfectly reasonable criticism rather than having a proper go at him.

Perhaps ripping into him was a tad extreme, but it's good to see a an ex pro/pundit not giving the party line of 'he's the best man for the job, its the players who are the problem' bollocks we've been in the past few days from Souness and Boyd.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

Fair enough, but I disagree.  Dave mentioned it, but Georgia are a pot 6 side this campaign.  So are Kazakhstan.  Georgia have beaten us twice away and Kazakhstan are one of those horrible trips that we could easily f**k up.  There's a gap between those and the teams like Malta, Gibraltar, San Marino etc, fair enough.  Had Lithuania beaten us, which on another day they very well could have, we'd be 3 points adrift at the bottom, and just three ahead of Malta.  That's demonstrably worse.

And I'd argue that "more of the same" could be considered worse too.  If a new manager comes in and can't make any improvements then it's a complete waste of time.  We can't afford that.

But whether we finished 5th or 6th would neither really be here nor there, it's still horrendous and we wouldn't be qualifying. It's certainly not a good enough reason to not change things in the hope we will get better. I'd rather take the risk of getting worse to try to get better, than to just accept finishing 4th or 5th in every campaign.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

So basically, keep a hold of a horrendous manager because the next guy MIGHT not be better? Seems like a good idea. Cheers for that.

I'd take Duffy for 2 reasons.

He's an ex-Dee - YASSSS. I think everyone knows my feelings on ex Dee's.

Secondly and more importantly, it'd give the very absolute confirmation that the SFA are taking the piss out of the fans.

In more serious matters, O'Neil didn't distance himself as much as I thought he would from the job all things considered. Get him tapped up.

Archived