Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scary Bear said:

Just saw an interview with him on the news. He's obviously pissed off, but again he just comes across as a wee p***k. Sooner he's gone the better.

Usual sarcastic stuff with the bit about thinking about his future when he's about to die.

Earlier bit about it being offensive to ask about his future because he's not thinking about himself, unintentionally belies part of the whole issue. Whether he stays or not is about more than just his own personal situation and feelings because increasing numbers of people appear to think he's part of the problem.

I don't expect him to say he wants to leave, but it's not good enough to default to being snide and act as if his own feelings on continuing as manager are the only valid consideration.

Would a younger or older manager be better? Or does it not matter at all? Italy appointed Ventura as boss this year and he's 68. Ex-Napoli and Lazio boss Edy Reja is 71 but has a pretty decent record from memory. He got Napoli promoted from Serie C1 to Serie A in consecutive seasons (albeit that Napoli were still bringing in over 50,000 spectators a week in the third level and had some cracking players in their team) but Lazio were struggling horribly when he came in and turned them around.

Will the SFA splash the cash to bring in a top coach though?

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

They should be thinking about more than just a coach.  ...........More an Icelandic set up from top to bottom .   But that is admitting defeat. 

Belgium put a lot of work into youth development. They had a 10 year plan or something like that I think. They're doing pretty well out of it. I'd like to see us try something like that.

The list of criteria needed is as follows.

1. Picks the best players available regardless of club, personal grudge, one if the boys/favourites.

2. Plays the best team available 

3. Can organise a defence

4. That's about it really

8 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Belgium put a lot of work into youth development. They had a 10 year plan or something like that I think. They're doing pretty well out of it. I'd like to see us try something like that.

Worth recalling when we played Belgian in the qualifiers a few years ago they were are the height of their (supposed) powers, and our media was fawning over the whole question of how they did it. During one interview their PR chapped stepped-in to clarify - and this is almost a verbatim quote, AFAICR - "we have no strategic plan and no national performance centre".

We have strategic plans and now a national performance centre anyway. If anything the problem is that we keep 'ripping-it-up and starting again' with youth strategies.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

When we played Belgian in the qualifiers a few years ago they were are the height of their (supposed) powers, and our media was fawning over the whole question of how they did it. During one interview their PR chapped stepped-in to clarify - and this is almost a verbatim quote, AFAICR - "we have no strategic plan and no national performance centre".

We have strategic plans and now a national performance centre anyway. If anything the problem is that we keep 'ripping-it-up and starting again' with youth strategies.

I am surprised at that. I'll hold my hands up and say I've got that one wrong.

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The list of criteria needed is as follows.

1. Picks the best players available regardless of club, personal grudge, one if the boys/favourites.

2. Plays the best team available 

3. Can organise a defence

4. That's about it really

If we were to go down the Iceland route:

5. Appoint a dentist as manager

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Worth recalling when we played Belgian in the qualifiers a few years ago they were are the height of their (supposed) powers, and our media was fawning over the whole question of how they did it. During one interview their PR chapped stepped-in to clarify - and this is almost a verbatim quote, AFAICR - "we have no strategic plan and no national performance centre".

If the National Performance Centre keeps employing top coaches like Jocky fucking Scott then sorry it deserves to be ripped up ! 

Away defeats in the arsehole of the back of beyond of the USSR, draws in the North Atlantic, and the many, many new ways we find to humiliate ourselves i can handle. But now discounting the final quarter of matches as 'the game's finished'?? 

Lowest point has been reached. Ever. This literally cannot get worse. 

Got to add, all good and well punting Strachan, but one more is constantly forgotten here, Stewart Regan... This man has been a complete and utter failure, every single part of the Scottish Football game has regressed under him with the exception of the woman's game. His tenure has been unacceptable and that's forgetting his poor handling of the Rangers episode 4 1/2 years ago. 

Regan out, Strachan out and don't forget that other p***k Doncaster as well. Bye bye lads

Couldn't agree more

Archived