Gordon Strachan

Elixir

23 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Preferably a foreigner with a reasonable track record. Roberto Mancini?

My God, I'd love that.

But aye, as I've been saying for yonks now, he absolutely has to go. Enough trying to gloss over things, he failed last year and he's failing utterly miserably in this campaign. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Not sure really what would be achieved in getting him out now.  Probably should have gone over the summer in hindsight, but hey ho.

If there's a significantly better option willing and able, then fine, but if we're just going to punt him for anyone, then hire the same uninspiring lot as usual, then I'll see you all back here in 2 years for the same old pish.

What do you suggest then?  Genuine question.

Do you see Strachan getting yet another campaign?  Surely not.

If not, is there not some logic in giving the new person a run of games before we get to play qualifiers that are meaningful?

Of course he should have been ditched in the summer - some of us said so then and need none of this hindsight stuff.

Sticking with him now though, is surely bonkers no matter how it's viewed.

31 minutes ago, Günther said:

Time to go foreign again. Ironically the last time we got to a play-off it was with a foreign manager, one that got absolutely ridiculed but 5 managers later not one has got us even close!!

We need a schoolteacher .  The last 2 schoolteachers have probably the best record of any Scotland manager I am led to believe. 

It's so depressing that this is a pretty accurate assessment of how it worked.

I know others disagree with this hypothesis but my impression watching it on telly was they were expecting him to leave as it was end of contract so were giving him a decent send off rather than begging for him to stay. Wish they hadn't though as it's cost us another 2 year cycle wasted

4 minutes ago, Günther said:

If we had got shot of Strachan after last campaign. Lucien Favre was available and could've been tempted! He's now the Nice manager sitting top of the French league... if there's a manager who can get the best out of a bog standard set of players and make them a team it's him. Unfortunately drunk wankers in Portugal singing there's only one Gordon Strachan were happy with yet another failure...

Lucien Favre could have been a decent shout. A very good manager who had a point to prove after quitting Monchengladbach. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Walter Smith a schoolteacher?  :lol:

Good one.

We have established that I was incorrect.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

There are loads of good coaches and managers kicking around Africa that get teams to World Cups.

Guys like Herve Renard, Milovan Rajevac, Claude Le Roy, Michel Dussuyer etc.

We should be casting the net far and wide.

I fully endorse Herve Renard. He would definitely bring an air of handsomeness to the role.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What do you suggest then?  Genuine question.

Do you see Strachan getting yet another campaign?  Surely not.

If not, is there not some logic in giving the new person a run of games before we get to play qualifiers that are meaningful?

Of course he should have been ditched in the summer - some of us said so then and need none of this hindsight stuff.

Sticking with him now though, is surely bonkers no matter how it's viewed.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a rock-and-a-hard place situation.  There's no way he's getting another campaign, unless he somehow goes on to win every game from now to the Autumn.  But waiting until roughly midway through each campaign before we punt the old and get in the new never seems to work out for us.  I can just see the SFA doing so, getting in another completely underwhelming option, and then we just repeat the cycle in a few years time.  It just seems like we get a guy in, we get the new manager bounce when it's pretty much useless, go into a campaign with hope and then hit the skids.  Maybe we're better hiring on a 2 year basis, only letting people go at the end of campaigns?

My suggestion is probably not that helpful - just get the right manager in.  I don't think the SFA are ambitious enough when they go about hiring, which leaves us with an option that hardly excites.  That just gives the basis for most to turn around in a few years and say "see, he's always been shite".  If that option isn't available now, then f**k it, get a temporary option in for now until, hopefully, the decent one does come available sometime before 2020 qualifying begins.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a rock-and-a-hard place situation.  There's no way he's getting another campaign, unless he somehow goes on to win every game from now to the Autumn.  But waiting until roughly midway through each campaign before we punt the old and get in the new never seems to work out for us.  I can just see the SFA doing so, getting in another completely underwhelming option, and then we just repeat the cycle in a few years time.  It just seems like we get a guy in, we get the new manager bounce when it's pretty much useless, go into a campaign with hope and then hit the skids.  Maybe we're better hiring on a 2 year basis, only letting people go at the end of campaigns?

My suggestion is probably not that helpful - just get the right manager in.  I don't think the SFA are ambitious enough when they go about hiring, which leaves us with an option that hardly excites.  That just gives the basis for most to turn around in a few years and say "see, he's always been shite".  If that option isn't available now, then f**k it, get a temporary option in for now until, hopefully, the decent one does come available sometime before 2020 qualifying begins.

Spot on imo

Archived