Italian Football Thread

Kris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 06:52, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is this the first time a country has an representative in the final of the CL, EL and ECL?

If Sevilla didn't have a strange fetish with the EL I'd put an treble on Italy, baby.

Considering it's only the 2nd season of the conference league I'd say yes. Not sure if it ever happened in the cup winners cup era. 

7 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Considering it's only the 2nd season of the conference league I'd say yes. Not sure if it ever happened in the cup winners cup era. 

It has happened with Italy a few times as per the list below. From left to right i’ve gone European Cup/Champs League, Uefa Cup then Cup Winners Cup. Season 89/90 was the absolute peak with Italian clubs winning all 3 trophies plus a fourth (Fiorentina) finishing runners up.

92/93 - AC Milan, Juventus & Parma

89/90 - AC Milan, Juventus (bt Fiorentina) & Sampdoria

88/89 - AC Milan, Napoli & Sampdoria

Also, Spanish teams made it in 85/86:

Barcelona, Real Madrid & Ateltico Madrid.

(Teams in bold won their competition that season).

On 19/05/2023 at 06:52, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is this the first time a country has an representative in the final of the CL, EL and ECL?

If Sevilla didn't have a strange fetish with the EL I'd put an treble on Italy, baby.

Happened before, as outlined above.

I think it's actually a real shame. The Conference League was needed and is a good tournament. But another tournament where we get an Italy v England final is not what European fitba needed.

I'd exclude the top five leagues from the Conference League. Their presence their skews the competition. Italian winner last year. Italian or English winner this year. Probably Villa next year.

That's not really what this competition should be. They've got the other two for that.