Heads Gone (The 8MileBU Awards)

We had a thread on this a few years back when Tom McB, the walloper, stated that in his teaching days, those who didn't use physical punishment were ineffective because they couldn't control their classes. He then tied himself in knots by denying that he ever hit children.

I wonder if there's any correlation between getting the belt at school and growing up to be intolerant arseholes? 
I think there is.

I remember a letter some woman had written to the local paper a couple of years ago.

There she was insisting that the belt would he good for kids in today's schools as it never did her any harm, despite her admission that she received the belt on an almost weekly basis. Surely, hen, the belt wasn't working for you if you kept on getting it.

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there is.

I remember a letter some woman had written to the local paper a couple of years ago.

There she was insisting that the belt would he good for kids in today's schools as it never did her any harm, despite her admission that she received the belt on an almost weekly basis. Surely, hen, the belt wasn't working for you if you kept on getting it.

The whole “never did me any harm” line is preposterous. How would they possibly know that?

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The whole “never did me any harm” line is preposterous. How would they possibly know that?

I would posit that the fact they've grown up to be adults who relish the idea of children being beaten, shows that it certainly did do them harm.

8 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there is.

For the youngsters, it wasn't just any belt. It was the (Loch)gelly tawse. Specially crafted in darkest Fife (who'd have guessed?) for the sole purpose of battering children. 

Y2mnaL8BvZ8_lkkdEVhoxFESOX7aVOPFsjvlRLP8

JTbiFinAflmeYPV39zUjzTfefLR882fGQf47NIgH

For the youngsters, it wasn't just any belt. It was the (Loch)gelly tawse. Specially crafted in darkest Fife (who'd have guessed?) for the sole purpose of battering children. 

Y2mnaL8BvZ8_lkkdEVhoxFESOX7aVOPFsjvlRLP8TVvoDP_UQg2UM20crfq5JSqli6u0bJFPXtzgq6ad8Hz9zGs5UzxjBmNfWbBTSZKDO1GeZ9vP2el7tYJ3jg&key=a531ee1a0f46ae8b410b9c71e90925410683bf7290ab55f106b8b95d08712fa9
JTbiFinAflmeYPV39zUjzTfefLR882fGQf47NIgHNeSwyrkBSjnXBzpsBX3uehQrpYgFbO8u6W5IhkJn-g6r-zzc9zZmJjIz4Mou6ISSiUZ54C39W3KzJ-fNsKMgzlY&key=29a85012ebd92fe4cce1c181b1b72b54b2cde531a3e375a287ffceb0a6327b53
I remember watching something on the telly fairly recently and the Lochgelly Tawse was a feature.....the wifey was a relative of folk who'd manufactured them (or something along those lines). She was awfully proud of her connection to it anyway.

More than likely folk who think coropral will put the bairns on the path to be a good & proper member of society like kids used to be also think bringing back national service will do the same.
I know. I mean it must have been great living in pre-1980's Scotland without all the muggings, rape, murder and generally cheeky b*****dness.

I was smacked as a child. I don't have any resentment towards my parents but I certainly don't advocate it today. I have two daughters, I wouldn't hit any female so why would it be acceptable to hit my own girls?

My sister in laws smack their kids* and any time it was in my presence I felt extremely uncomfortable. It's not discipline, it's lazy parenting. You can better results actually speaking to children.

* I don't know if they do it now that it's illegal but it really wouldn't surprise me sadly.