Match of the Day Thread 16/17

nelsjfc

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're not the only ones, to be fair. A lot of teams are looking pretty shite.

They are usually steady but unspectacular, but they've been chipping goals for fun since the tail end of last season. Which pleases me greatly as I detest Mark Hughes.

On 17/09/2016 at 23:44, nelsjfc said:

I don't like it either. If your a defender/keeper your as well throwing yourself in to a challenge if someone is right through.

Well no, because you'd be sent off. All the rule change has done is make it a yellow if the referee thinks it was a genuine attempt at winning the ball, its still a red if its a clear attempt at illegally preventing a goalscoring opportunity. Thats why Livermore, who stuck his hand out and saved the ball, was sent off, while Cech, who tried to win the ball but was too late, only got booked.

Well no, because you'd be sent off. All the rule change has done is make it a yellow if the referee thinks it was a genuine attempt at winning the ball, its still a red if its a clear attempt at illegally preventing a goalscoring opportunity. Thats why Livermore, who stuck his hand out and saved the ball, was sent off, while Cech, who tried to win the ball but was too late, only got booked.

Yeah but there is clearly times when it's a percentage call. If your not sure your going to win the ball, you are still as well throwing yourself into the challenge.

Great finish by the much maligned Sterling. Is Pep the man to get the best from him ?

He's been excellent under Guardiola, and I think he'll only get much better under good coaching.
Also, some performance from Arsenal, but they'll no doubt shit the bed next week against Burnley.

Just now, accies1874 said:

He's been excellent under Guardiola, and I think he'll only get much better under good coaching.
Also, some performance from Arsenal, but they'll no doubt shit the bed next week against Burnley.

Agreed Sterling has been very good this season. All credit to Pep and especially to Sterling given his confidence must have been rock bottom post Euros.

Where was the challenge that Alan Green thought he saw? Looked to me like Sturrage jumped over Robertson's foot and made the most of it. As usual. 

Think Gullit is a decent pundit but the short, fast paced analysis on MotD doesn't suit his style. Seems like he could properly analyse something given ten minutes to go into real depth. 

The remote's volume button was almost worn out as they subjected us to both Pearce and Green tonight. That's really taking the piss.

Their little tribute to Tony Pullis for his 1000th game was an insult and they'd have been better just not mentioning it than faffing their way through 37 seconds of bland words. Not a single graphic or any stats of the 1000 games provided at a time when the most inane rubbish statistical info is churned out during games and air time for everything else. Not good BBC.

13 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Pearce telling us how much a step up this job is for guardiola......

"He'll never have faced so many competitive games in a season before", spoken as if thats because the EPL has so much strength in depth, and not the fact City are a clear level below Barca and Bayern

• 3 weeks later...

Walcott is completely mince, it infuriates me how often he sclaffs one in from three yards to seemingly justify his £120k a week wages

Archived