18-20 Year Olds and Football.....

Parkgatequeens

I did 14 interviews at the local Job Centre today, all of them male and all aged between 18 and 20. Of course I asked them all what team they supported, not one of them had any interest in any club and only 3 of them had any interest in playing the game. This made me really sad, is this the way is nowadays?

On a given weekend during the league season about 110,000 people attend football games in Scotland as spectators (allowing 10,000 for spectators at non-league, junior or amateur games which may be too high). That is 2% of the population. To that you add people playing or officiating in amateur football, and children playing youth football, which will contribute several 10s of thousands more.

Even multiplying for home fans that don't travel away, people with interests in teams who rarely go, people who "support" a team but actually take little or no interest in their week-to-week results, clearly nothing like a majority of the population follows football.

If you stopped 100 people in the streets - including women, kids, the elderly, rich, poor, etc. - how many would follow football.

By the same token, of 14 young men - if representative - you'd expect several to follow teams and several others to have an interest.

I did 14 interviews at the local Job Centre today, all of them male and all aged between 18 and 20. Of course I asked them all what team they supported, not one of them had any interest in any club and only 3 of them had any interest in playing the game. This made me really sad, is this the way is nowadays?

No

Scotland's football daft, I'm slightly older than this and you'd struggle to find anyone in my year who didn't like, watch or play football

8 hours ago, Parkgatequeens said:

^^^

Jobs for the bhoys.

9 hours ago, Parkgatequeens said:

Hopefully you go out of your way to keep them unemployed. Such people need shunned from society.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

If I was asked at an interview what team I supported, i'd claim I wasn't interested as well.

Unless of course, the brother conducting the interview had made himself known previously ;)

How old is your grandmother?....

43 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

If I was asked at an interview what team I supported, i'd claim I wasn't interested as well.

Unless of course, the brother conducting the interview had made himself known previously ;)

Yeah it's a bit risky for an old firm fan to declare what side they are on, even in this day and age.

I'd have no qualms about saying to the interviewee I'm a Saints fan, what are the chances of a Morton fan conducting the interview.

A

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

At one time that question and related school information went a long way in the west of Scotland

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yeah it's a bit risky for an old firm fan to declare what side they are on, even in this day and age.

I'd have no qualms about saying to the interviewee I'm a Saints fan, what are the chances of a Morton fan conducting the interview.

Not sure it happens me these days, certainly not like it used to be

3 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

A

At one time that question and related school information went a long way in the west of Scotland

Not sure it happens me these days, certainly not like it used to be

It's all in your CV these days, no need to ask...

Just now, LordHawHaw said:

No, what I mean is discrimination that was widespread is not really an issue nowadays I think

I knew what you meant, I was just failing to be funny.

It's not something I've ever come up against, though at 34 I probably started work long after the worst of it. I'd have confused them anyway. Catholic education with a relatively proddy sounding name.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

I knew what you meant, I was just failing to be funny.

It's not something I've ever come up against, though at 34 I probably started work long after the worst of it. I'd have confused them anyway. Catholic education with a relatively proddy sounding name.

It was commonplace, certainly in west of Scotland even into the 80's, happily it does not seem to be around these days

Anecodtal stories about anything really are the worst.

I spoke to ten people today and none of them liked cheese.... Does this mean the country is falling out of love with cheese??

Archived