La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

51 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I scored with a free kick that I put under the wall once. Just saying.

Maybe just me, but I don't find anything particularly amazing about someone scoring a free kick under the wall. Something you can witness at any level. 

Absolute filth from Lionel Messi.

Wee brothers were at the game (I’ve so much on otherwise at the moment that I couldn’t justify it), so the little shits got to see the GOAT in full flow. Having been basically ringside for Groves v Eubank last week makes me slightly less jealous, but not by much.

There has never been a player like Lionel Messi, and I’m fairly confident there never will be. Enjoy these moments, they won’t last forever.

A player will surpass Messi one day, I'd have thought. He's clearly absolutely incredible but people have always claimed the best player of their generation will never be surpassed. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A player will surpass Messi one day, I'd have thought. He's clearly absolutely incredible but people have always claimed the best player of their generation will never be surpassed. 

If so I hope I’m still alive to see him play.  Unless he plays for Real Madrid and/or is a fanny like Christiano Ronaldo.

Maybe, but I just don’t see how. He’s single handedly changed the perception of what a footballer is capable of. No player has ever been the main creative hub and main goal scorer in their team, both domestically and in the Champions League over such a vast period of time.

You think about the best players of previous generations, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Romario, Ronaldo, all phenomenal goal scorers, or Maradona, Cruyff, Zico, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldinho, all incredible creative driving forces. Not one of those were capable of doing the other to the level of their goal scoring or creative counterpoints. Messi is. He’s quite simply changed what a footballer is capable of, and his achievement in doing so should not be normalised or taken for granted in any way. He’s the best there has ever been by a considerable distance which only grows as the weeks go by.

On a separate note, another La Liga loss for Madrid. Zidane basically needs to win the champions league again or I can see him getting the bullet.

17 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Maybe, but I just don’t see how. He’s single handedly changed the perception of what a footballer is capable of. No player has ever been the main creative hub and main goal scorer in their team, both domestically and in the Champions League over such a vast period of time.

You think about the best players of previous generations, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Romario, Ronaldo, all phenomenal goal scorers, or Maradona, Cruyff, Zico, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldinho, all incredible creative driving forces. Not one of those were capable of doing the other to the level of their goal scoring or creative counterpoints. Messi is. He’s quite simply changed what a footballer is capable of, and his achievement in doing so should not be normalised or taken for granted in any way. He’s the best there has ever been by a considerable distance which only grows as the weeks go by.

On a separate note, another La Liga loss for Madrid. Zidane basically needs to win the champions league again or I can see him getting the bullet.

Once again simply not true.  Puskas played Messis role and outscored him.  Football did actually exist before him you know, there's nothing he's ever done has not been done before, and I'm his biggest fan.

33 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Once again simply not true.  Puskas played Messis role and outscored him.  Football did actually exist before him you know, there's nothing he's ever done has not been done before, and I'm his biggest fan.

Like Pele, great though they were, scoring the majority of your goals in second rate leagues such as the Brazilian National or Hungarian Nemzeti Bajnokság doesn't really compare, m8.

Football is now centralised, the best players in the world play in the best leagues, this wasn't the case back in the day. Messi outstrips them in every department, it simply isn't up for debate.

10 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Like Pele, great though they were, scoring the majority of your goals in second rate leagues such as the Brazilian National or Hungarian Nemzeti Bajnokság doesn't really compare, m8.

Football is now centralised, the best players in the world play in the best leagues, this wasn't the case back in the day. Messi outstrips them in every department, it simply isn't up for debate.

Aye he did it for real Madrid champ.  Gerd Muller too.  You don't get to decide what's up for debate the facts do and the facts are nothing Messi has done hasn't been done before.  Johann Cruyff changed football much more than Messi has.  Ronaldo Brazilian changed how they ref the game.  You fanboys are hilarious.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

3 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Aye he did it for real Madrid champ.  Gerd Muller too.  You don't get to decide what's up for debate the facts do and the facts are nothing Messi has done hasn't been done before.  Johann Cruyff changed football much more than Messi has.  Ronaldo Brazilian changed how they ref the game.  You fanboys are hilarious.

That Mario Balotelli is shite though, eh?