Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

If those blow-up dolls are cheap imports (knowing Celtic fans they probably are) they might not be flameproof.

Not that I'm an expert on the subject, you understand...

Edinburgh City have an inflatable Mr Blobby - long story relating to the man behind Meadowbank Thistle's relocation to Livingston - which travels home and away.

It was barred from Forthbank a fortnight ago on something like "safety and security" grounds. See thread in SPFL2 sub-forum.

Presumably their mistake was not asking to hang him from the rafters...

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Edinburgh City have an inflatable Mr Blobby - long story relating to the man behind Meadowbank Thistle's relocation to Livingston - which travels home and away.

Oh, I remember Mr Blobby. I joined in many a chant of "Blobby! Blobby! Blobby! Out! Out! Out!" though I never heard any offensive chants aimed at his daughter, as he claimed later. Mind you, I only attended a couple of matches in the final season.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was barred from Forthbank a fortnight ago on something like "safety and security" grounds. See thread in SPFL2 sub-forum.

Presumably their mistake was not asking to hang him from the rafters...

Mr Blobby too fat to have his hands tied behind his back to be safely transported through turnstile obviously.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Supposedly this happened with Airdrie down at Stranraer as somebody told them Brechin losing at Hamilton was a FT result, resulting in them all celebrating promotion. Unfortunately for them, Chris Templeman scored for Brechin in the last few seconds of the season, giving us a second consecutive promotion at the expense of the Diamonds.  What a day that was.  ^_^

Hopefully some Airdrie (or Stranraer) fan there on the day can shine more light on the matter.

As I recall that did happen with Stranraer.

It's the done thing to claim the pipped team was already celebrating, which was not the case in the celebrated Gretna / St Johnstone situation.  It really was with Stranraer though and there was TV footage to prove it.

They got the last laugh though by winning their first league title the following year, allowing them to jump a division and a half in one go.

Edited to add that I'm actually thinking of an occasion other than the one outlined above.  I'm going on about a late Brechin penalty denying Stranraer promotion.  I think it was 1993.

Edited by Monkey Tennis
error

f5b46346f7857ca314e91846f2074650.jpg
1c3e94ad57fcf805ef34d99bf60f9e5f.jpg
c3fc1aab8cf101e399e196fbfe79e52b.jpg

Meadowbank recently at the City Montrose match. Really liked it, but the strangest thing was driving past countless green scarfers making their way to Easter Road whilst i arrived at the ground feeling completely deserted until the Montrose fans came off their bus as i came in too.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There was a feature on Radio Scotland this morning, on the bloke who designed that stand at Gala's ground.

Category A listed building.  Any other Scottish grounds with any legally protected bits?

I've been there before and it comes with an optional free view of the rubgy next door if the football side of thing is pish and you like that sort of thing (the game was actually p**h and the Rugby 7s tournament was on).

Netherdale-640x360.jpg

There's just something very LOTR about the names Fairydean & Netherdale.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 21/09/2016 at 12:50, CityDave said:

Galabank, home of Annan Athletic. This is a nice wee ground and I can't say any negatives about it. Quirks?, maybe only three sides of the ground gets used and it has a house inside the ground parameter which used by the club. Imagine having a football pitch for the local football team in your back garden?. :)

The photos I have here are from a thundery 25th April 2009 with Berwick Rangers the visitors. Annan since then have a new covered enclosure at the house end.

I dont think the thing that looks like a house, is actually anyones home, is it? Presuming, you're talking about the building with the social club and changing rooms in it

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Category A listed building.  Any other Scottish grounds with any legally protected bits?

I've been there before and it comes with an optional free view of the rubgy next door if the football side of thing is pish and you like that sort of thing (the game was actually p**h and the Rugby 7s tournament was on).

Netherdale-640x360.jpg

There's just something very LOTR about the names Fairydean & Netherdale.

The main stand at Ibrox is listed that and Gala are the only 2 in Scotland.

Hawick's football (Albert Park) and rugby (Mansfield Park) stadiums are also almost adjacent - Hawick Young Men's rugby pitch (Mansfield Haugh) in between:

DP00029111.jpg

3065955_0420dd63.jpg

Hawick Royal Albert's grandstand is built with the top portion of a woollen mill which burnt down:

P1080125.JPG

Edited by HibeeJibee

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's the done thing to claim the pipped team was already celebrating, which was not the case in the celebrated Gretna / St Johnstone situation.  

Our game finished 4 minutes before the game in Dingwall and players had time to wave to the fans before going off the pitch. At that point some fans made it down the steps and were being stopped from going on the pitch. I remember listening to the radio and the moment that they scored the flags and scarves that were flying dropped, meanwhile 100 or so Hamilton fans celebrated to wind our support up and everyone who was not listening to the radio just knew. There was even time for one last Ross County chance before the full time whistle went up North.

Supposedly this happened with Airdrie down at Stranraer as somebody told them Brechin losing at Hamilton was a FT result, resulting in them all celebrating promotion. Unfortunately for them, Chris Templeman scored for Brechin in the last few seconds of the season, giving us a second consecutive promotion at the expense of the Diamonds.  What a day that was.  [emoji5]

Hopefully some Airdrie (or Stranraer) fan there on the day can shine more light on the matter.

I was on holiday with my wife and was in contact with my mate via phone on that day to find out the score (No internet enabled phone kids)

Whilst I was celebrating wildy in a Spanish pub with my wife saying "It's only a game for god sake"

My mate then phones again in absolute silence on the mini bus "Brechin scored, we're not going up"

So with my world crashing down around me, I hear "It's only a game for god sake"

Not wanting to argue, I turned my back on my wife to see a guy standing in a full Motherwell strip with a massive grin on his face.

I instantly grew a tail (In the metaphorical sense, not arousal) and swiftly exited the pub with it stuck between my legs.

Pretty sure Stranraers stadium announcer said that it was a FT result from memory.

Grounds being adjacent must be a Borders thing,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Philiphaugh,+Selkirk,+UK/@55.54693,-2.8611216,944m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48878675c0616213:0xe7756e7ece75413c!8m2!3d55.541336!4d-2.874556

Selkirk FC, Selkirk Cricket Club and Selkirk RFC sit in an L shape, and the small pavilion on the left with green roof is the cricket club where we drank when we went for the Selkirk v Irvine Meadow Scottish Cup game, and the back door of the bar was about 6 steps from the gate into the football ground.

Capture.PNG

Edited by MEADOWXI

Is that Kynoch (Keith)?  

Edit: No, it's not, but the stand looks very similar.

250px-Kynoch_Park_-_geograph-444585.jpg

.. but it'll be Kingsmills, former home of Inverness Thistle of course.  I miss the Name That Ground thread. :(

Anyway, if looking at grounds close together then it needs Hampden, Lesser Hampden & Cathkin Park, the latter of which I still find really cool still having the terraces in place which you can still walk about on and make out on the aerial view below.

Hampden.JPG

Must be a really weird place now if you ever saw it like this: 

cathkinpark3.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter