Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 30/10/2018 at 17:56, The Mantis said:

That one was taken from the Radical Road. Any guesses where I took this one from (not Calton Hill before anybody says ;)):

IMG_3146.jpg.b0bd31d78847fba3858b9ea4dab4ad89.jpg

I’m guessing Scott’s Monument with a fairly decent zoom lens? If so what spec? By my reckoning, the flats behind the ground indicate a sightline just to the left of Calton Hill which puts it bang on line with Scott’s. Quite high elevation too.

19 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Tannadice was the same but the scoreboard was on one of the floodlight pylons (the white rectangle near the bottom of the floodlight on the right). Bloke had to walk through the terracing at half time carrying the numbers on metal plates to get to the bottom of the pylon. 

tannadice-park-home-of-dundee-united-pic

The thing was that the half time scores never used to go up until about 15/20 minutes into the second half.

24 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Ha ha. There’s an element of tinpottery to that but I’m inclined to let them off as it was from back in the day. Imagine a game such as Hibs 5 Rangers 5 using that scoreboard and the scoreboard not being able to keep up. Ha ha ha.

Don’t think you’ve quite got the idea of what a “half time scoreboard “ was. It showed only the scores of the chosen matches as they were at half time. 

On 10/30/2018 at 19:16, ah-dee said:
On 10/30/2018 at 19:12, Aim Here said:
It was, then DMA was bought up and became Rockstar North and has since moved around various sites in Edinburgh - they were near the top of Leith Walk until a couple years back and are now neighbours with the Scottish Parliament.

again i may be wrong but was the boy that launched rockstar games an abertay student? i would probably be better googling it!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/the-best-selling-video-games-made-in-scotland-1-4074096

4 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

the Pittodrie half-time scoreboard ( and clock)  at the top of the south terrace. Plus a rather rickety looking tv platform.

Aberdeen 1976 Pittodrie.JPG

Another great photo. I’m thinking that this is probably from the match in November 1971 when Hearts won 3.2 with a Donald Ford hat trick, his last two coming in the last five minutes of the match.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Another great photo. I’m thinking that this is probably from the match in November 1971 when Hearts won 3.2 with a Donald Ford hat trick, his last two coming in the last five minutes of the match.

The Donald Ford game was actually the first time I had seen the Dons defeated! ( about 7 or 8 matches into my youthful attending of matches)

the photo is a few years on from that though....

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3244&season=1976-77&squad=Senior

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

The half-time scoreboard at Dens Park at the TC Keay end. Couldn’t find anything on-line so this is from They Wore The Dark Blue.

IMG_0614.thumb.jpg.f09fd4776cec67ef05c008ad56160ad4.jpg

Andy 'the Penalty King' Penman banging one in against the now defunct Rangers FC. Made his first team debut at 15, travesty that he never won a Scotland cap

Andy 'the Penalty King' Penman banging one in against the now defunct Rangers FC. Made his first team debut at 15, travesty that he never won a Scotland cap

He played 1 game for Scotland against The Netherlands in 1966. A 0-3 loss at Hampden in front of only 16,513.

9 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

The Donald Ford game was actually the first time I had seen the Dons defeated! ( about 7 or 8 matches into my youthful attending of matches)

the photo is a few years on from that though....

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3244&season=1976-77&squad=Senior

Brilliant spot. No idea how I got that so wrong. It’s the yellow strip, I think if I’m not wrong again, that had the stripes down the left side. Thanks Ken.

On 02/11/2018 at 16:39, Hedgecutter said:

Marriott?

On 02/11/2018 at 20:01, Jimboyjones1976 said:

I’m guessing Scott’s Monument with a fairly decent zoom lens? If so what spec? By my reckoning, the flats behind the ground indicate a sightline just to the left of Calton Hill which puts it bang on line with Scott’s. Quite high elevation too.

13 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I recognise the Craigentinny block of Flats which means it’s got to be a high point roughly due West

Is it from Cramond Island

On 30/10/2018 at 18:23, Tibbermoresaint said:

One of the cranes at the St James centre?

On 30/10/2018 at 19:54, The Mantis said:

Close, it was actually on the roof! When they started dismantling it in 2014 my mate got access to the roof for a photo job he was doing and took me along. All the electrics were stripped out so we had to walk up 6 flights. He was dripping with sweat, the amount of gear he was carrying, including 3 Canon bodies. It was a huge area, sort of triangular, you could look right down Leith Walk from one side.