Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 07/10/2023 at 10:10, Otis Blue said:

^^^ This.

Still think it strange that when replacing the main stand at Tynie, the Jambos went down the road of a new stand (virtual replica of the Wheatfield) capacity that would barely increase the existing capacity, if at all.  Can only suppose the constraints must have been cost (for a two tier main stand) and of course Tynie's main constraint being that it is so tightly hemmed in by tenements, the school, etc.  You would think that Hearts should have been aiming for a capacity around the 25k mark to cope with bigger games whilst still maintaining the atmos. at smaller games.

"Mad Vlad's" £51,000,000 (at 2007 prices)... 23,000-seater... plans:

hearts-stadium-from-pitch-heartsfc-31080

290908-Hearts.gif     _44360663_tynecastleplan203i.jpg

bbbb.jpg.f024b2b1eb599dea7da29fb437717be

hearts_stadium_hmfc230108_2.jpg

image.png.6da901ba41fd7969693d102896b32e

image.png.fa44fc8f333ad3466dd059e94318e82f.png

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Heart of Midlothian | Hearts lodge £51m stadium plans

Edinburgh: Hearts launch their new stand campaign – StadiumDB.com

Alternatives:

ExtendedTynie.jpg.dfba490bdf5f0da4761f67

large_thumbnail.jpg.7e9efbe01f7f71ef8b46

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Both would have been epic. Is there room behind the Wheatsheaf stand to build upwards?

7 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Both would have been epic. Is there room behind the Wheatsheaf stand to build upwards?

The Wheatfield ... not sure who owns the land behind it. Is it the North British Distillery? Looks a bit tight for space to expand the Wheatfield without encroaching onto the land behind. I'd imagine without expansion behind, the planning consent would be difficult due to poor access and egress for safety reasons.

Maybe the new main stand on McLeod St. is capable of future extension - although there is a nursery school towards the Roseburn end.

The current capacity of circa 19k would be a bit small should the Jambos get their act together and field a side of consistent high quality.

11 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

You'd have thought attendance fc would've wanted their capacity to be more than Easter Road, even if it was just by one seat. 

Did Hibs also design their stands so the corners could be joined if there was reason?

On 08/10/2023 at 11:28, Crawford Bridge said:

You'd have thought attendance fc would've wanted their capacity to be more than Easter Road, even if it was just by one seat. 

When Hearts opened their new stand, Budge talked about it being above 20000 - I think we all know thats overstated by a decent chunk.

Building the new stand was important from a modernisation and hospitality perspective, but to come out the other end of the project with a stadium where the capacity is still a fair bit below 20000 is a minter.

They published the attendance on Saturday as 18600 - I know that there is a bit of "keep the radges away from each other" segregation there, lets say 400 seats, but that means their theoretical max is 19000.

Obviously it could be a bit higher if they didnt have any away fans, but for a club with such a large waiting list for season tickets* it seems like they shot themselves in the foot with the new stand.

On the question of making any of the other stands larger, I think that Hearts fans on here have already said that there are some pretty big practical difficulties with land footprint etc. 

They do need to spend a few quid refurbishing the 3 older stands, imv.

*sic

On 08/10/2023 at 23:36, HibeeJibee said:

3b77ed0c-51b3-4b2c-9274-ad68e1118453

Was that not one of the concept designs for when the east? Stand was being designed? From memory fans were consulted over a one or two tier stand and opted for the one tier.

I guess the above would work between the main and 'away' stand, but between the east and famous five stand, the single to double tier would cause an issue so would end up something like Norwich would have?

Personally I think easter road would be immense with corners filled in where possible and would present less of a challenge than Tynecastle would have on expanding, but there surely isn't any need just yet?

Out of interest, any idea of how many seats are 'lost' by having to have the two kinks in the stands due to the roads? 

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Was that not one of the concept designs for when the east? Stand was being designed? From memory fans were consulted over a one or two tier stand and opted for the one tier.

They could presumably still do that but the lines of the bottom "tier" would have to  start turning a bit earlier so that they merge together by the time they joined the east stand

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

When Hearts opened their new stand, Budge talked about it being above 20000 - I think we all know thats overstated by a decent chunk.

Building the new stand was important from a modernisation and hospitality perspective, but to come out the other end of the project with a stadium where the capacity is still a fair bit below 20000 is a minter.

They published the attendance on Saturday as 18600 - I know that there is a bit of "keep the radges away from each other" segregation there, lets say 400 seats, but that means their theoretical max is 19000.

Obviously it could be a bit higher if they didnt have any away fans, but for a club with such a large waiting list for season tickets* it seems like they shot themselves in the foot with the new stand.

On the question of making any of the other stands larger, I think that Hearts fans on here have already said that there are some pretty big practical difficulties with land footprint etc. 

They do need to spend a few quid refurbishing the 3 older stands, imv.

19,667 is the record attendance for the modern Tynecastle (vs Hibs four years ago) but I can't see Hibs getting the whole stand again any time soon

Given that we first had Chris Robinson telling us that staying at Tynecastle was impossible and then Vlad saying that he would be spending lots of money on infrastructure if only the council would allow him there's a few decades of rumours, half truths, lies and actual facts surrounding the obstacles that stood in the way of  stadium redevelopment so it's hard to get a clear picture

One persistent story, which has at least some truth to it, is that the health and safety implications of the distillery storing huge tanks of ethanol next door limits what we could do. A detail that's harder to confirm, but I think is plausible is the commonly held belief that the distillery could move things around but we would have to pay the not insignificant costs

If we were in a position to go for a big expansion (like another deck on the Wheatfield) then that additional cost might be worthwhile but  to have done that in order to have one more seat than Hibs or it would be a bit silly

More to the point. While there's a case, with hindsight, to criticise the budge era board for a lack of ambition in terms of capacity at the time having been through a near death experience there weren't many people wanting to criticise financial caution 

And it wasn't just their decision. Federation members voted to delay taking ownership of the club in order to help fund the stand instead

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

19,667 is the record attendance for the modern Tynecastle (vs Hibs four years ago) but I can't see Hibs getting the whole stand again any time soon

Given that we first had Chris Robinson telling us that staying at Tynecastle was impossible and then Vlad saying that he would be spending lots of money on infrastructure if only the council would allow him there's a few decades of rumours, half truths, lies and actual facts surrounding the obstacles that stood in the way of  stadium redevelopment so it's hard to get a clear picture

One persistent story, which has at least some truth to it, is that the health and safety implications of the distillery storing huge tanks of ethanol next door limits what we could do. A detail that's harder to confirm, but I think is plausible is the commonly held belief that the distillery could move things around but we would have to pay the not insignificant costs

If we were in a position to go for a big expansion (like another deck on the Wheatfield) then that additional cost might be worthwhile but  to have done that in order to have one more seat than Hibs or it would be a bit silly

More to the point. While there's a case, with hindsight, to criticise the budge era board for a lack of ambition in terms of capacity at the time having been through a near death experience there weren't many people wanting to criticise financial caution 

And it wasn't just their decision. Federation members voted to delay taking ownership of the club in order to help fund the stand instead

I'm absolutely sure that at the time of the main stand redevelopment, the Board/Federation would have preferred to create a larger (circa 25k seat) stadium knowing that demand would be exceeding capacity on many games with the ultimately selected design.  I'm also equally sure that financial reality had to drive the final decision - given the recent club history there was just no option to risk the club's existence further.

I'd also like to think that the Distillery probably would be amenable to accommodate any reasonable Wheatfield expansion request from Hearts - like all large businesses they will have Corporate Social Responsibility obligations to their neighbours these days.  However, as @topcat(The most tip top) points out, they would not expect to be a penny out of pocket for accommodating (possible relocation of their process plant) any such request from Hearts.  Hence the costs to Hearts would increase further.

These constraints on future expansion are a real shame as fans of most clubs look forward to their visits to Tynecastle as the most atmospheric stadium north of the border, enhanced by its inner city location.  I hope that a solution presents itself eventually.

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I guess the above would work between the main and 'away' stand, but between the east and famous five stand, the single to double tier would cause an issue so would end up something like Norwich would have?

Personally I think easter road would be immense with corners filled in where possible and would present less of a challenge than Tynecastle would have on expanding, but there surely isn't any need just yet?

Out of interest, any idea of how many seats are 'lost' by having to have the two kinks in the stands due to the roads? 

You're correct: having rebuilt East as single large tier (really to save £ dressed up as "fans prefer single tier"), you can likely now fill in only south-west corner as 2 tier all the way round. Do that plus fill other corners on the lower tier only would add about 4,500.

Of course Euro 2008 envisaged 3-tier 9,000 seat East Stand: which with 2 tier north-east corner would have squeaked over 30k!

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 28/12/2022 at 01:29, Stylish Kid said:

Aah I stand corrected. But Station Park is still amusingly far given its name..... 😂

the station closed in the 60s.  There was goods line ran close to Station Park until the early 80s. The town has been totally rail free since!

The old main stand at Brockville.

Sat in it once, my uncle who passed away recently was a scout for Falkirk and took 14 year old me to a midweek game against Morton the home side won 2-1 in September 1990, been to Brockville many other times watching both Stirling Albion and Celtic as well as a few Falkirk games as a neutral but always on the terracing. 

FB_IMG_1697302774261.jpg

That’s how I remember Main Stands looking as a boy in the 80’s. Muirton was very similar with the wooden seating above a paddock of terracing below. 

Not great with the pillars, but felt a lot more enclosed than most stands now, with the low roofs.

Post-Bradford fire inquiry, only half the stand at Muirton was in use up until it turned into the fruit and veg aisle about 5 years later.

Can’t remember the wooden stands at Brockville, Dens, Starks Park etc being similarly restricted.

IMG_8841.jpeg.7407b4e8edf72ea2b75d70b5aad2831a.jpegIMG_8839.jpeg.25155efb8f7dbc2f43d555dd4e7eeebe.jpegIMG_8838.jpeg.83165f2081e4e8474a7c8410fd72170d.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg.544a8d545a60a2bc9da4af69d6917cf3.jpeg

Can’t seem to find any pics online inside the Stand at Muirton

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That’s how I remember Main Stands looking as a boy in the 80’s. Muirton was very similar with the wooden seating above a paddock of terracing below. 

Not great with the pillars, but felt a lot more enclosed than most stands now, with the low roofs.

Post-Bradford fire inquiry, only half the stand at Muirton was in use up until it turned into the fruit and veg aisle about 5 years later.

Can’t remember the wooden stands at Brockville, Dens, Starks Park etc being similarly restricted.

IMG_8841.jpeg.7407b4e8edf72ea2b75d70b5aad2831a.jpegIMG_8839.jpeg.25155efb8f7dbc2f43d555dd4e7eeebe.jpegIMG_8838.jpeg.83165f2081e4e8474a7c8410fd72170d.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg.544a8d545a60a2bc9da4af69d6917cf3.jpeg

Can’t seem to find any pics online inside the Stand at Muirton

There are some wooden seats in the main stand at Starks Park, but the steps and tiers are concrete.