Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That’s how I remember Main Stands looking as a boy in the 80’s. Muirton was very similar with the wooden seating above a paddock of terracing below. 

Not great with the pillars, but felt a lot more enclosed than most stands now, with the low roofs.

Post-Bradford fire inquiry, only half the stand at Muirton was in use up until it turned into the fruit and veg aisle about 5 years later.

Can’t remember the wooden stands at Brockville, Dens, Starks Park etc being similarly restricted.

IMG_8841.jpeg.7407b4e8edf72ea2b75d70b5aad2831a.jpegIMG_8839.jpeg.25155efb8f7dbc2f43d555dd4e7eeebe.jpegIMG_8838.jpeg.83165f2081e4e8474a7c8410fd72170d.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg.544a8d545a60a2bc9da4af69d6917cf3.jpeg

Can’t seem to find any pics online inside the Stand at Muirton

SC00729877.jpg

SC02640578.jpg

SC00729876.jpg

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

He also designed Ibrox if this helps.

He didn't.

There's an interesting article dispelling the myth in latest 'Scottish Football Historian' magazine.

Main Stand at Stark's Park was designed by local architect William Williamson (not the famous Archibald Leitch); he was responsible for a number of private mansions, large amounts of local authority housing in the area, churches, public & naval buildings of all kinds, banks, commercial premises, even pub and ship interiors.

His most notable works would be Kirkcaldy Burgh Buildings, Ice Rink, King's Theatre and Station Hotel plus restoring St Fillans church in Aberdour.

William Williamson (kirkcaldyin50objects.com)
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - DSA Architect Biography Report (October 16, 2023, 10:25 pm)

Edited by HibeeJibee

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

He didn't.

There's an interesting article about it in latest 'Scottish Football Historian' magazine.

Main Stand at Stark's Park was designed by local architect William Williamson (not the famous Archibald Leitch); he was responsible for a number of private mansions, large amounts of local authority housing in the area, churches, public & naval buildings of all kinds, banks, commercial premises, even pub and ship interiors.

His most notable works would be Kirkcaldy Burgh Buildings, Ice Rink, King's Theatre and Station Hotel plus restoring St Fillans church in Aberdour.

William Williamson (kirkcaldyin50objects.com)
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - DSA Architect Biography Report (October 16, 2023, 10:25 pm)

I had a quick read and a word search but didn't see any reference to Starks Park.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

SC00729877.jpg

SC02640578.jpg

SC00729876.jpg

Nice one. That last photo of the wooden floors and steps had me a bit nostalgic.  Wasn’t it benches similar to the earlier photo of Brockville’s stand, at the ends of the Main Stand at Muirton? 

Think I only went in there once or twice at quieter games when it was pissing with rain, paid about 50p to get from the ground into the Stand, and I’m sure it was just benches.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Nice one. That last photo of the wooden floors and steps had me a bit nostalgic.  Wasn’t it benches similar to the earlier photo of Brockville’s stand, at the ends of the Main Stand at Muirton? 

Think I only went in there once or twice at quieter games when it was pissing with rain, paid about 50p to get from the ground into the Stand, and I’m sure it was just benches.

As an avid kid, I used to get my dad to bring me to reserve games in the 80's, and we're in the main stand

Tip up seats all the way along is how I remember it, but was 40 years ago...

13 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I think it was seats all the way, but, they had removed a few, can see in the front row of the pic, which made it look like benches. 

• 1 month later...

A couple of photos from my wee phone 13 years ago at Simpson Park, Keith, home of Islavale FC who play in the North Juniors. Ground is decent, central in the region and has often been used for regional cup finals. There is a small covered area back from the pitch on the same side as the main building. Hedge behind one goal and a large rough grass area behind the other. I haven't been there for a while but I did see in more recent photos that the field behind the goal had been turned into another pitch.

Behind my position to the left if you looked that way you would see the same power station visable from Kynoch Park, Keith FC's ground.

DSC00011.thumb.JPG.87f4d75620e423463ce4594e9e811a80.JPGDSC00010.thumb.JPG.0df3d5a964eb883697e3c611c7d46973.JPG

Again from 13 years ago Phoenix Park, Lossiemouth home of Lossiemouth Utd. Was it called Phoenix Park back then or named after the nearby road?

Photos aren't that great but it is what it is.

Good that they have returned this season, hope to stay. Doing well in the league just now after a slow start.

DSC00080.thumb.JPG.ad4efac267d1ed47819c690b9f0102bd.JPGDSC00081.thumb.JPG.f1d5abc1c1c6202a40b6ee7fdcb6770a.JPG

This one is a mystery. I cannot remember exactly where this one was. The photo was taken on the 23rd April 2011 at 13:21.

I'm thinking Banff and the home team is Devoronside, I might be wrong. There is a high fence on the right disappearing out of shot which could be the boundary fence with the neighbouring Princess Royal Park, home of Deveronvale.

Anyone assist?

DSC00082.thumb.JPG.63c850c2c1355486c210ac5ddef6266a.JPG

On 17/10/2023 at 16:15, Monkey Tennis said:

The main stand at Palmerston features fold down wooden seats.

The areas towards the sides used to be benches, but a few years ago, they bolted blue plastic bucket seats onto them.  

Photo of the main stand at Palmerston - shows the new blue plastic bucket seats referred to by @Monkey Tennis.  For an "old" stand it has fairly unrestricted views of the pitch apart from the single large steel pillar support in the middle.  It's still mainly a wooden construction though and (post Bradford) I'm not quite sure how we manage to get this re-licenced each season (MT may know this .....).

image.png.cd933d0f126d3ebd921d50ced9c4c64b.png

13 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

This one is a mystery. I cannot remember exactly where this one was. The photo was taken on the 23rd April 2011 at 13:21.

I'm thinking Banff and the home team is Devoronside, I might be wrong. There is a high fence on the right disappearing out of shot which could be the boundary fence with the neighbouring Princess Royal Park, home of Deveronvale.

Anyone assist?

These are from a recent visit to Princess Royal Park. I think you are right and your photo is of Canal Park.

20231129_133738.jpg

20231129_133805.jpg

20231129_133851.jpg

2 hours ago, forfarton said:

These are from a recent visit to Princess Royal Park. I think you are right and your photo is of Canal Park.

20231129_133738.jpg

20231129_133805.jpg

20231129_133851.jpg

As a kid me and my mates used to follow Buckie Thistle around all the time, either on supporters buses or PT, but only ever went to Princess Royal Park once. One incredibly cold January day in the late 70's, white ground, swirling snow (could even have been an orange ball)...and we lost. 

Great view from the stand though. It's bizarre how new stands these days seem to be designed and built so close to the ground. As in, ground-level. I though the whole point of a grandstand, was to give a 'grandstand view' ?!?

19 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Again from 13 years ago Phoenix Park, Lossiemouth home of Lossiemouth Utd. Was it called Phoenix Park back then or named after the nearby road?

Photos aren't that great but it is what it is.

Good that they have returned this season, hope to stay. Doing well in the league just now after a slow start.

DSC00080.thumb.JPG.ad4efac267d1ed47819c690b9f0102bd.JPGDSC00081.thumb.JPG.f1d5abc1c1c6202a40b6ee7fdcb6770a.JPG

I always knew it as Coulardbank after the road. @Jimmy Shakeris your man in the know

19 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Anyone assist?

It looks like Canal Park to me too.

Deveronside 1-5 Inverness City in the North Division 1 on that day

Edited by Cyclizine

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Photo of the main stand at Palmerston - shows the new blue plastic bucket seats referred to by @Monkey Tennis.  For an "old" stand it has fairly unrestricted views of the pitch apart from the single large steel pillar support in the middle.  It's still mainly a wooden construction though and (post Bradford) I'm not quite sure how we manage to get this re-licenced each season (MT may know this .....).

image.png.cd933d0f126d3ebd921d50ced9c4c64b.png

I'm afraid I've not got a clue about such matters.

If exits are clearly signposted and maintained, however, then I'm sure wooden structures must still be deemed ok.  Storing tons of rubbish under the stand at Bradford played a part.

Our main stand is obviously not in great shape with its plant life on the roof.  However, I like it from a spectating perspective.  Sitting well back at the sides probably isn't great viewing through the misty panes.  Elsewhere though, its elevation works well.

Edited by Monkey Tennis