Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I noticed on the news last night that the good people of Stoke still wanted to go ahead with Brexit because of the way the government has been treated by the EU. They genuinely seemed to think that we could leave and still have all the perks.

I take it that down there they still think we have an empire and should be treated accordingly? 

Fucking densers.

4 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I noticed on the news last night that the good people of Stoke still wanted to go ahead with Brexit because of the way the government has been treated by the EU. They genuinely seemed to think that we could leave and still have all the perks.

I take it that down there they still think we have an empire and should be treated accordingly? 

Fucking densers.

Is this based on a poll or are you basing it on a handful of random people being ‘interviewed’?

56 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Fucking densers.

I can relate to that.

Just try living in this half crazed, deluded country.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Corbyn’s robotic repetition of ‘botched Brexit’ without offering an alternative gets sourer by the day.

History could judge him as missing the biggest open goal in U.K. politics in decades.

He certainly seems to be taking a few touches to steady himself. Should have put his laces straight through the fucking thing already.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Is this based on a poll or are you basing it on a handful of random people being ‘interviewed’?

The point is that they were scunnered that the government had, in their eyes, been treated badly by the EU so we should continue to flounce off despite the consequences.

As I said before I don't think we should be subservient to predictions on top line GDP regardless of their reliability.

The outrage  over this has been largely down to stupid 'clever' people thinking that this one simplistic indicator vindicates their position. It's not unreasonable for some sections of society to wonder if increases in GDP will feed through to them and if they might be better sacrificing top line GDP for structural changes that result in personal wage rises.

Edited by Detournement

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Literally every BoE prediction has been wrong for years.

Substantiate please, including a defined period, every single prediction made within that period, and the actual outcome.

12 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Substantiate please, including a defined period, every single prediction made within that period, and the actual outcome.

Obviously i'm not going (nor am i able) to do that but here's a taster

Screen-Shot-2018-08-02-at-21.14.26.png

They impressively managed to overestimate wage growth in 19 (this table only shows 17) consecutive quarterly predictions. This indicates they are either idiots or not playing a straight hand.

They also continually say we are near full employment when the statistics- and the eyes of anyone who ventures out during the day outside London - clearly say otherwise.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-02-at-21.14.00.png

There is good reason to ignore BoE predictions.

Edited by Detournement

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Obviously i'm not going (nor am i able) to do that but here's a taster

Screen-Shot-2018-08-02-at-21.14.26.png

They impressively managed to overestimate wage growth in 19 (this table only shows 17) consecutive quarterly predictions. This indicates they are either idiots or not playing a straight hand.

They also continually say we are near full employment when the statistics- and the eyes of anyone who ventures out during the day outside London - clearly say otherwise.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-02-at-21.14.00.png

There is good reason to ignore BoE predictions.

Looking at the first table, it seems they start with a figure and revise down as more information becomes available. The final prediction and the actual result are generally close enough that the result is negligible.

As for the employment statistics, are they based on BoE criteria or based on Government criteria? What is the criteria?

Edited by Ross.

Cameron, his advisers, and everyone associated with the EU referendum should be charged with High Treason if any of the figures coming from various sources are to be believed.

Furthermore, everyone who has stood by and basically let an economically cataclysmic event happen to the country when it could easily be stopped / prevented, should be joining them in a life sentence.

Who knows, maybe we could have another "referendum" to see if the country wants them all publicly executed ???

It's obviously not difficult to measure 2014 wage growth in 2014 Q4.

The fact that they keep overestimating their longer range predictions wage allows the Bank and Treasury to set policy and make announcements which are dishonest about household finances and the nation's general economic outlook. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's down to incompetence or malice.

The claims of full employment are totally absurd. The government obviously get to define the official rate of employment but the BoE aren't bound by that definition and are wilfully ignoring observable facts to paint a false picture of the UK economy.

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's obviously not difficult to measure 2014 wage growth in 2014 Q4.

The fact that they keep overestimating their longer range predictions wage allows the Bank and Treasury to set policy and make announcements which are dishonest about household finances and the nation's general economic outlook. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's down to incompetence or malice.

Does anyone consistently make accurate GDP predictions? 

Edited by welshbairn

The minimum wage and the REAL average wage should be used to actually explain the facts of where people are in this country in respect to wealth and disposable income.

You can be a wealthy nation on paper, however if 14% of your population are in complete poverty, and another 30% are earning the minimum wage then that is NOT a wealthy nation in my book.

Personally I'm sick of all the warped statistics and instead choose to use my eyes and ears to make a judgement call on whether this country is wealthy or not, and from what I see and hear we're actually more like a 3rd world country with homelessness wherever you look, public services falling apart, transport infrastructure which is a joke for those outwith the major city's, gig workers and zero hour contracts popping up all over the place and generally just a feeling of hopelessness for many.

It's pretty grim already, but it really looks like it's just going to get worse...............