Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, glasgow-sheep said:

Could you not ask
Remain or leave
Then also ask
In event of a leave vote do you want May's deal or No Deal

Similar thing was done in the Scottish Devolution referendum

It would create a situation where around 30% of voters would get what they want and the other 70% wouldn't. The Government wouldn't back it, because it would bring them down.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Brexit isn't everyone's primary issue.

Ending austerity, supporting the NHS and creating a fairer and more balanced economy are a bigger priority for a lot of people.

You are beginning to sound like Corbyn - every one of the latter would become a whole lot harder in the event of ANY Brexit; dare I suggest that this is not the moment to be indulging in ideological purity - Rome is burning and the sanctimonious Left is tuning their fiddles.

A lot of people on the left think the EU is beyond reform and the only solution to it's neoliberal structures is to leave. The EU state aid rules which are included in May's deal makes it difficult for the government to significantly intervene in the economy.

In or out the UK is a wealthy country and has the means to provide the entire population with a dignified standard of living.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ending austerity, supporting the NHS and creating a fairer and more balanced economy are a bigger priority for a lot of people.

But not enough. Which is why we keep getting lumped with a tory government and will continue to do so, no matter how disasterous and further away from that they take us.

There's one option left for Scotland and you know full well what that is.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

A lot of people on the left think the EU is beyond reform and the only solution to it's neoliberal structures is to leave. The EU state aid rules which are included in May's deal makes it difficult for the government to significantly intervene in the economy.

In or out the UK is a wealthy country and has the means to provide the entire population with a dignified standard of living.

A lot of people on the left think the UK is beyond reform and the only solution to its neoliberal structures is to leave. The UK reserved power system which remained in the devolution settlement and subsequent Scotland Acts make it difficult for the government to significantly intervene in the economy.

Small wonder many on the left also fear what a sovereign UK government would be like when given even more power over its member nations by departure from the EU.

Edited by Antlion

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So all the forecasts suggest that the best option is to stay in the EU yet it’s an option that’s getting no air time.

Carney's Project Hysteria  is getting plenty of airtime.

Too bad nobody believes him after some of his previous predictions.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It would help if the new young voters actually make the old die off.

How I read that on first glance. Bit disappointed TBH.

Like most, this thread could use the explicit threat of inter-generational extermination.

13 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Carney's Project Hysteria  is getting plenty of airtime.

Too bad nobody believes him after some of his previous predictions.

Carney’s forecast is being used to help May.  There’s almost no debate about calling the whole thing off despite plenty of people who would be happy to voice that option.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Carney’s forecast is being used to help May.  There’s almost no debate about calling the whole thing off despite plenty of people who would be happy to voice that option.

With any luck that debate will take place when her deal is shot down in flames come the vote on Dec 11.

I've been out most of the day today,and evening. Has May's visit to Scotland done anything to allay the fears of Scottish fishermen? Not hearing much on Sky News.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Brexit isn't everyone's primary issue.

All priorities I can get on board with but I'm not going to give Corbyn the credit of being a champion for them if he goes through this entire shambles (including the referendum itself) picking his hoop. Once we get to a situation where the current state of the NHS starts looking like a picnic, I expect we'll still be hearing platitudes from Corbyn supporters about how Labour are about to get in and save the working class. I'm just not going to bother entertaining it anymore.

The idea among certain folk seems to be that Corbyn has been playing some brilliant long game with this. I'd be happy if that turned out to be true but it's getting to crunch time. 

39 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've been out most of the day today,and evening. Has May's visit to Scotland done anything to allay the fears of Scottish fishermen? Not hearing much on Sky News.

Said she's already giving them what they want so they should pipe the f**k down, in a nutshell.

If it wasn’t for a couple of lunatics who’ll be turfed out by the party at the next election there would’ve been a significant defeat of the Conservatives over Brexit a couple of months back. As it is they’re staring down the barrel of a major defeat in a couple of weeks. I don’t think it’s brilliant machiavellian politics that Labour have played but they’ve played this significantly better than the Tories have who are being made to own this entire mess. I hope the Lib Dems, Greens, Labour centrists and the SNP aren’t won over by the pitches May will make. That looks unlikely though given she’s incapable of charming anyone and seems to have spent her day today having a pop at the SNP over independence.