Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Labour change their "principles" on a day to day basis depending on the situation. Sinn Fein have always stood by the same set of principles. There is no comparison tbh.

They changed their mind on the EU.

They changed their mind on entering the Dail.

They changed their mind on supporting the police.

They changed their mind on abortion.

They changed their mind on entering Stormont.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sinn Fein want a chaotic hard brexit that they can blame on the DUP, and force a border poll. They're attitude isn't much different from Corbyn's.

I accept that interpretation but think it’s unfair to lump them in with Corbyn.  It’s a reasonable political stance from their perspective but very dangerous.

As Jacksgranda implies their policy will continue to be their policy until it changes.

Given their raison d’etre they might not change on this as it might be seen as bolstering support for unification but if it goes tits up they will have to accept their share of the blame.  Going back to my original point the ONLY NI perspective we are hearing on this is the Unionist one.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They changed their mind on the EU.

They changed their mind on entering the Dail.

They changed their mind on supporting the police.

They changed their mind on abortion.

They changed their mind on entering Stormont.

That's a lot over the space of only 4-5 decades. They should take a leaf out of Labours book and change their mind on them everyday. Or failing that, they should just sit on the fence.

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

That's a lot over the space of only 4-5 decades. They should take a leaf out of Labours book and change their mind on them everyday. Or failing that, they should just sit on the fence.

So they have ditched their principles.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I accept that interpretation but think it’s unfair to lump them in with Corbyn.  It’s a reasonable political stance from their perspective but very dangerous.

As Jacksgranda implies their policy will continue to be their policy until it changes.

Given their raison d’etre they might not change on this as it might be seen as bolstering support for unification but if it goes tits up they will have to accept their share of the blame.  Going back to my original point the ONLY NI perspective we are hearing on this is the Unionist one.

You must be listening to different news broadcasts from the ones I hear - any discussion about Brexit that I hear Sinn Fein are prominentin putting their position. Same with news site - Sinn Fein are always reported. Same with newspapers.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

So they have ditched their principles.

You are confusing policy with principle. They have changed policy over the years as all parties do. But not turning up at Westminster isn't a party policy, it's something they do on principle.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You must be listening to different news broadcasts from the ones I hear - any discussion about Brexit that I hear Sinn Fein are prominentin putting their position. Same with news site - Sinn Fein are always reported. Same with newspapers.

Over here all you hear is the DUP.

16 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

What's happening at Stormont these days?   The power sharing arrangement came to a halt about 18 months ago and NI decisions are being taken from England?   

Absolutely zero interest in bigot land.   

Why ask the question(s) if you've no interest?

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

the ONLY NI perspective we are hearing on this is the Unionist one.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Over here all you hear is the DUP.

Here's a report on a "no unionists are welcome" conference held in Belfast at the weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47014835

13 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

So new backstop agreement week.The tories and dup will vote it through.The Eu will say "nope never agreed to that"Tories blame the eu and we crash out on the 29th of March with no deal

Agree with the rest but that last bit will not happen.

I really don't know what to make of Mayduro's position right now.  Like an Antarctic explorer of 100 years ago who knows the mission is ultimately doomed she ploughs doggedly on for no obvious reason other than, well, she's British.  Surely she must know that the EU will not concede on the Irish backstop, so is she hoping that some (desperately hoped-for on her part) semantic gymnastics in the text of the Withdrawal Agreement will placate the lunatics ?  I wouldn't bet on that, either way. 

Maybe more likely, she is crudely stalling it out for a Mexican standoff with these bams to try and force thro her deal, again a very high-risk strategy.  I'd like to think that the biggest climbdown in British politics since Suez is the only realistic outcome in all of this, and those red lines will eventually have to move.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

crudely stalling it out for a Mexican standoff with these bams to try and force thro her deal, again a very high-risk strategy.  I'd like to think that the biggest climbdown in British politics since Suez is the only realistic outcome in all of this, and those red lines will eventually have to move.

Sadly I think it might be the opposite, that those opposing the deal will be so scared of a no-deal brexit that they agree to May's awful deal as the least worst outcome.

May looks to be stalling and isn't really trying to change anything - everything now is just theater, talks with opposition, calling out the EU in saying the deal had to change, she knows none of this will happen because she hasn't changed her position at all,  but she wants to make it look like shes tried. 

I begin to think that she really is angling for a no-deal brexit, though as her biggest backers - big business and corporate sector clearly hate the idea, I can't really understand why.

She wouldn't have appointed so many remainers to top Cabinet jobs if she was willing to allow a hard brexit. On the other hand she'll break up the Tory party if she softens her red lines to get something close to a customs union with cross party support. I think either ERG and the DUP will cave, and the Tory remainers, to get her deal through, or she'll call a general election.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She wouldn't have appointed so many remainers to top Cabinet jobs if she was willing to allow a hard brexit. On the other hand she'll break up the Tory party if she softens her red lines to get something close to a customs union with cross party support. I think either ERG and the DUP will cave, and the Tory remainers, to get her deal through, or she'll call a general election.

You have to have some grudging respect for the Tory party, who aren't so much a party in the traditional sense, but more a coalition of evil c***s who have so often been willing to put their hatred of each other to the side to concentrate on their shared hatred of the poor.

You have to have some grudging respect for the Tory party, who aren't so much a party in the traditional sense, but more a coalition of evil c***s who have so often been willing to put their hatred of each other to the side to concentrate on their shared hatred of the poor.
You'd think it would be exhausting being hateful, evil c***s all the time

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if May could call an election without the support of the Tory Party.

Anyway we have gone from ‘the easiest negotiation ever’ to preparation for martial law.  I reckon it’s gone wrong somewhere.