Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

13 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I don't thi k he has any intention of doing this but knows saying this sort of shit will play well with the tory electorate. As soon as hes elected he will drop the idea of leaving with No Deal and deny it was ever a possibility. 

Its definitely going to be no deal.  That has obviously been the intention all along, anyone capable of reading between the lines has known this for at least a couple of years.  There is no doubt its going to be a no deal Brexit and also no doubt this has always been the plan.  You'd have to be incredibly naive not to see it at this point, they're just running down the clock knowing that is the default position.  If you want to make some money stick as much as you can afford on a no deal exit.

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

That'll be "Remain and Reform" stone cold dead.

"Remain and do whatever the CDU want" is going to be a hard sell.

It's just the usual stitch-up that enables Merkel to get rid of a third-rate Minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/16/who-is-ursula-von-der-leyen-the-new-eu-commission-president

"Von der Leyen’s approval ratings have recently plummeted, making her the least popular minister in Merkel’s cabinet..."

"More recently, Von der Leyen grabbed negative headlines over the accusation that her defence ministry had allocated over-inflated contracts worth hundreds of millions of euros to external consultants. A parliamentary committee is investigating the ministry for accusations of nepotism, and Von der Leyen is expected to be invited as a witness in December. In Brussels and Berlin, she will have two stages to manage."

She'll fit in very well! 

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Its definitely going to be no deal.  That has obviously been the intention all along, anyone capable of reading between the lines has known this for at least a couple of years.  There is no doubt its going to be a no deal Brexit and also no doubt this has always been the plan.  You'd have to be incredibly naive not to see it at this point, they're just running down the clock knowing that is the default position.  If you want to make some money stick as much as you can afford on a no deal exit.

Been the intention of whom?  It has taken a concerted effort by all MPs to make this mess.  MPs from all sides in the Brexit issue.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

Been the intention of whom?  It has taken a concerted effort by all MPs to make this mess.  MPs from all sides in the Brexit issue.

The British government.  I would have thought that obvious, as well as the Leave camp in its entirety.

Theresa May attempts at revisionism will fool no one.  She has been an enabler of the xenophobia that set the conditions for a Brexit vote and an enabler of a Hard Brexit.

She has been a total failure as PM, topped in that failure by her disastrous GE call, and the only small comfort is that, whatever she says publicly, she will be well aware of her own failings.

I hope they haunt her to the grave.

There's a good analysis on the BBC website (I know, I know!) looking at the 10 reasons we're where we are.

Interestingly, it notes that the Leave campaign took a conscious decision NOT to formulate a Brexit plan in advance of the vote. They realised that exploring the issues and tackling the serious negotiating points would split the Leave side into factions. Instead they focused on the mood music and pithy slogans.

It makes a mockery of the gammons who now claim all leave voters knew exactly what they were voting for...when in reality it was made up of an alliance ranging from Norway, Switzerland, Canada Plus through to No Deal.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
10 hours ago, strichener said:

But you agree that it is a mess for which the Conservative Party is SOLELY responsible, yes ?

No I don't.  I agree that the Conservative party were the drivers but parliament passed the referendum act, parliament blocked the deal on the table and parliament backed the act to leave, parliament couldn't agree on any alternatives so to lay the current mess at the feet of the Conservatives requires mind-boggling distortion of the actual events that have taken place.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

No I don't.  I agree that the Conservative party were the drivers but parliament passed the referendum act, parliament blocked the deal on the table and parliament backed the act to leave, parliament couldn't agree on any alternatives so to lay the current mess at the feet of the Conservatives requires mind-boggling distortion of the actual events that have taken place.

Agree with this. Labour agreed to leave in March by signing off on Article 50, they even pushed May to get on with it, and then said they would never vote for a Tory Withdrawal Agreement, despite agreeing with everything in it. The Political Declaration which they did disagree with wasn't worth the paper it was written on, it was non binding so that matters like a customs union could be negotiated during the transition period.

Edited by welshbairn

Theresa May attempts at revisionism will fool no one.  She has been an enabler of the xenophobia that set the conditions for a Brexit vote and an enabler of a Hard Brexit.
She has been a total failure as PM, topped in that failure by her disastrous GE call, and the only small comfort is that, whatever she says publicly, she will be well aware of her own failings.
I hope they haunt her to the grave.

This pleases me greatly [emoji23]

They've had plenty of opportunities to not extend a thing and automatically bow out with no deal but haven't done so....why ?

There will not be a No Deal Brexit.

Despite his utterances Johnson will be desperate to get No Deal thwarted so he can say to the nutters that support him “at least I tried”.  What follows can then not be laid at his door.

There will not be a No Deal Brexit.
Despite his utterances Johnson will be desperate to get No Deal thwarted so he can say to the nutters that support him “at least I tried”.  What follows can then not be laid at his door.

There’s not many other options left.
If the EU won’t renegotiate then he’s left with getting May’s deal through parliament, No Deal or Remain.

Or another extension I guess.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

If the EU won’t renegotiate then he’s left with getting May’s deal through parliament, No Deal or Remain.

I think they would only allow that in the event of a GE or a 2nd ref on the issue.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

If Parliament is offered a straight choice between No Deal and Revoke they will vote to revoke.

It would be by a very small margin.

1 hour ago, zidane's child said:

I think they would only allow that in the event of a GE or a 2nd ref on the issue.

Absolutely; the EU have been consistent on that.