Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Bernard Jenkin on Channel 4 saying that Britain overwhelmingly voted to leave in the referendum.
Is 52 to 48 overwhelming?
It's like them claiming tonight that it was an overwhelming victory for May tonight and better than 2016 - conveniently ignoring the fact that there were no other candidates tonight.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He came back with a decent deal on immigration control and made no attempt whatsoever to sell it, instead switching straight to his Scottish referendum tactics of project fear. Not a single positive message about the EU.

I can't recall the particulars. It all seemed like such an irrelevance back then.

May’s Brexit proposal is terrible and it is not just Brexiteers hardliners who should be concerned about it.  The fact that there are so many Tories who are prepared to accept it shows that they are unthinking spineless fools who are more worried about what their constituents think than going back and explaining the implications to these constituents.  The exact same can be said for Labour MPs who represent Leave constituencies.

The DUP have a different agenda but I’m hopeful some Tories will come to the view that Remain would be a better option.  They may find it difficult to support withdrawing Article 50 but might be (reluctantly) prepared to support a second referendum.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

May’s Brexit proposal is terrible and it is not just Brexiteers hardliners who should be concerned about it.  The fact that there are so many Tories who are prepared to accept it shows that they are unthinking spineless fools who are more worried about what their constituents think than going back and explaining the implications to these constituents.  The exact same can be said for Labour MPs who represent Leave constituencies.

The DUP have a different agenda but I’m hopeful some Tories will come to the view that Remain would be a better option.  They may find it difficult to support withdrawing Article 50 but might be (reluctantly) prepared to support a second referendum.

May's brexit say's nothing about a long term deal, as it can't be negotiated until after we leave. If she somehow gets it through there's still remain (reapply) all the way to WTO (if they have us) on the table.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You'd like to think that but the chances of it happening are vanishingly small.  I live in a 'remain' constituency with a 'leave' MP.  I emailed our MP the week before last and asked if he'd support a 2nd referendum.  He did reply and mumbled something about supporting the wishes of the electorate.  

His big problem is the local Tory members who are almost-universally 'leavers' and are mainly retired.  If he changed his view he'd face selection issues.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

May's brexit say's nothing about a long term deal, as it can't be negotiated until after we leave. If she somehow gets it through there's still remain (reapply) all the way to WTO (if they have us) on the table.

It’s a terrible deal because if we can’t reach a trading agreement then it’s a continuation of the transition period where we are subject to most of the existing obligations with no say or it’s the backstop that we cannot get out of without the agreement of the EU27.

I’m at a loss as to why anyone thinks it a good deal.  

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a terrible deal because if we can’t reach a trading agreement then it’s a continuation of the transition period where we are subject to most of the existing obligations with no say or it’s the backstop that we cannot get out of without the agreement of the EU27.

It's not great but it means everything stays much the same for a few years. I'm really not that bothered if they change the toaster regulations in the meantime. The back stop is brilliant, we get full single market rights without paying anything or freedom of movement for those bothered about it.

Edited by welshbairn

Yes it's a bad deal but it could be a means to an end for the brexiteers. Only other option is no brexit. No deal will never happen

45 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Stuck 20 quid on Sajid Javid at 5/1 for the next leader earlier today. Reckon it’s 50/50 him or some Brexiteer.

Think he's got no chance in the racist outposts shires, but I put a drunken £50 bet last night on May to get her deal through in 2018 at 10/1, so I'm not the man to judge.

15 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
19 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:
What he means is 17 million voting for Brexit (from  an electorate of 46 million)  is overwhelming. 

It's clearly not. In what way is " less than half" overwhelming?

Erm . . . yes . . . you're right, it's clearly not overwhelming. What was I thinking, trying to put his soundbite into context?

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Erm . . . yes . . . you're right, it's clearly not overwhelming. What was I thinking, trying to put his soundbite into context?

Don't put yourself down, well put. Mon the Lillywhites!