Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I liked the humorous analogy from a guy on the radio.

He likened the 'no confidence' diversion to one of those stupid car chases in an American film.

The car in front swerves of the road, goes through a barn, chickens and bits of wood everywhere, then when they get back on the road, the car chasing is still there.  No change.

20 minutes ago, FlyerTon said:

Does anyone think there will be another EU referendum?

Remain in the EU percentage votes in Scotland in the 2016 referendum:

City of Edinburgh
74.40%
East Renfrewshire 74.30%
East Dunbartonshire 71.40%
Stirling 67.70%
Glasgow City 66.60%
Renfrewshire 64.80%
East Lothian 64.60%
Inverclyde 63.80%
Orkney 63.20%
South Lanarkshire 63.10%
Midlothian 62.10%
West Dunbartonshire 62.00%
North Lanarkshire 61.70%
Aberdeen City 61.10%
Perth and Kinross 61.10%
Argyll and Bute 60.60%
Dundee City 59.80%
South Ayrshire 59.00%
Fife 58.60%
East Ayrshire 58.60%
Scottish Borders 58.50%
West Lothian 58.30%
Clackmannanshire 57.80%
North Ayrshire 56.90%
Falkirk 56.80%
Shetland 56.50%
Highland 56.00%
Angus 55.30%
Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles) 55.20%
Aberdeenshire 55.00%
Dumfries and Galloway 53.10%
Moray 50.10%

Not surprised to see the English residential tory strong hold "Dumfries and Galloway" all the way down there tbh.

17 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Get the no confidence in today to keep the tories rocking.Rees Mogg was openly talking to news channels this morning that May has to go and see auld lizzie in buck house to step down

Walter Softy genuinely was on the verge of tears last night, whilst trying to claim victory.  He and his ilk are the worst of the careerist, egotist Torys.  

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you see an indefinite (because that is what it is) extension of the transition period being anymore palatable than the backstop?  I certainly don’t.

Louise Mensch (yes, I know) is suggesting a fixed two-year extension, with an automatic No Deal at the end if no agreement is reached.  I think it's an idea which might hold some sway with the Rees-Mogg wing.  She's also assuming that Brussels will eventually kowtow to the whims of a minority of  tone-deaf Tories.

The alternative, I guess, would be a second referendum offering May's Deal and No Deal only.  

It's clear at this point that, other than fruit loops like John Redwood, there's absolutely no desire for the No Deal.

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Louise Mensch (yes, I know) is suggesting a fixed two-year extension, with an automatic No Deal at the end if no agreement is reached.  I think it's an idea which might hold some sway with the Rees-Mogg wing.  She's also assuming that Brussels will eventually kowtow to the whims of a minority of  tone-deaf Tories.

The alternative, I guess, would be a second referendum offering May's Deal and No Deal only.  

It's clear at this point that, other than fruit loops like John Redwood, there's absolutely no desire for the No Deal.

That would not pass in Parliament.  It is easy to forget just how tight the Parliamentary arithmetic is*; there are sufficient numbers of Remain Tories who would vote that option down.

* Tories + DUP + half of the 'Independents' = 329

All others = 313

Speaker = 1 SF = 7

Edited by Granny Danger

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

Can someone explain to the ignorant among us (me) what this supreme court ruling this morning means? 

Basically, the ScotGov bill was legal, but the act of holding it's royal assent allowed the UK government time to change their own bill to retroactively cancel out parts of the ScotGov bill.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Basically, the ScotGov bill was legal, but the act of holding it's royal assent allowed the UK government time to change their own bill to retroactively cancel out parts of the ScotGov bill.

The BBC live headline is

Scottish Brexit bill 'outside powers'

Of course the story then clarifies that only part of it was

Seven justices at the court agreed unanimously that although the bill "as a whole" was not outside Holyrood's powers, the parts that would "modify" UK law would be.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That would not pass in Parliament.  It is easy to forget just how tight the Parliamentary arithmetic is*; there are sufficient numbers of Remain Tories who would vote that option down.

* Tories + DUP + half of the 'Independents' = 329

All others = 313

Speaker = 1 SF = 7

Parliament has already passed the legislation required for no deal in the form of the EU Withdrawal Act.

I'd be interested if you can explain how MPs would go out about "ruling out" No Deal?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Legally it's 28th of March. My thinking was is what she needs is fairly simple, not a massive renegotiation of the whole treaty but a guarantee of no hard border from the British side in exchange for a way for Britain to end the back stop unilaterally. Or go back to the previous formula of being able to extend the transition phase year by year until a final settlement is reached, which would remove the need for a backstop if both sides agreed to guarantee no hard border in whatever shape of final settlement is reached. I think there could be a vote next week. 

Sorry.... I thought you were talking about the "meaningful vote" that May chickened out of on Tuesday. I believe the deadline for that is Jan 21.

What is possible for May now?

1. She gets enough to concessions from Europe to get her deal through with Tory/DUP support

2. She puts up a No Deal vs Her Deal referendum. There is zero chance she allows Corbyn to lead a Remain campaign against her deal so this is the only referendum that is possible.

3. She puts the blame on Parliament for no deal and says the negotations now restart with the UK outside the EU.

There is nothing else she can do and remain PM.

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What is possible for May now?

1. She gets enough to concessions from Europe to get her deal through with Tory/DUP support

2. She puts up a No Deal vs Her Deal referendum. There is zero chance she allows Corbyn to lead a Remain campaign against her deal so this is the only referendum that is possible.

3. She puts the blame on Parliament for no deal and says the negotations now restart with the UK outside the EU.

There is nothing else she can do and remain PM.

Noises from the EU this morning that she'll get that bit of paper she can return home with claiming she's got it all sorted out now.

Adam FlemingVerified account @adamfleming 14h14 hours ago
MorAnd it’s just a draft but a clear sense of the direction the EU and U.K. are going in to provide the House of Commons with reassurance on the backstop. (4)

Retweet

Direct message

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Noises from the EU this morning that she'll get that bit of paper she can return home with claiming she's got it all sorted out now.

Adam FlemingVerified account @adamfleming 14h14 hours ago
MorAnd it’s just a draft but a clear sense of the direction the EU and U.K. are going in to provide the House of Commons with reassurance on the backstop. (4)

Retweet

Direct message

The EU are pragmatists.

They lose nothing by giving her enough to get the deal through just now which kills the issue until at 2021. Come 2021 the political balance in the UK will probably have changed and even if it hasn't the EU can simply play hardball again. In the mean time they have bought themselves an extra 21 months plus of UK contributions and political stability.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The EU are pragmatists.

They lose nothing by giving her enough to get the deal through just now which kills the issue until at 2021. Come 2021 the political balance in the UK will probably have changed and even if it hasn't the EU can simply play hardball again. In the mean time they have bought themselves an extra 21 months plus of UK contributions and political stability.

What is "enough to get the deal through", though?  From what I can see, there are some Tories aren't going to vote for anything short of absolutely everything they want, which is a heck of a lot more than anything May's likely to come back with, surely?